Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best city for tourists?
Montreal 7 10.77%
Vegas 8 12.31%
Miami 4 6.15%
Chicago 9 13.85%
NOLA 6 9.23%
San Francisco 13 20.00%
Orlando 6 9.23%
Honolulu 12 18.46%
none 0 0%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2014, 01:33 PM

669 posts, read 916,638 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Exactly. Who wants to wait in a long line, in 5 degree weather. There are no long lines to enjoy the sun and beach.
I'll take a hot tub any day over the beach in the winter. And this is coming from a guy from FL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2014, 01:59 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,957,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yyuusr View Post
I'll take a hot tub any day over the beach in the winter. And this is coming from a guy from FL.
They got beachfront properties, WITH hot tubs in Florida.

Old 01-09-2014, 02:19 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,974,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilly Gentilly View Post

Yep, Red John's pictures are nice!!!!....because they're of San Francisco. C-D makes you guys CRAZY I tells ya...
Actually I'm not that much into San Francisco or the Bay Area. Even in this thread, it's not one of my top five choices, either. Especially because I haven't seen Honolulu and Las Vegas yet.

I'll admit that the first time I saw the scenery and the city when I was a little kid, it was pretty awesome. To stand on the Twin Peaks and see the orangish glow of the city's street grid lights below you (in the evening/dawn) with the skyline in the forefront, the bridge in the back, the mountains, the bay, and the ocean, as well as some fog was breathtaking. To the left would be the bridge, the separation of the bay and ocean, the mountains around the bridge, you may even get to see the tunnel entrance on the other side if you're high enough on the Twin Peaks. To the right, everything city-specific.

I've outgrown San Francisco. Every time I come here, I always do the same thing. Go to the same places. In fact, I know the Bay Area well enough to drive around here and I typically do, without GPS or maps.

It's beautiful but this is the last time I'll be coming here for a while. I'm still really young and there's way more that I want to see than San Francisco and the Bay Area for the one millionth time.

Old 01-09-2014, 02:29 PM

1,901 posts, read 3,088,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John View Post
Actually I'm not that much into San Francisco or the Bay Area. Even in this thread, it's not one of my top five choices, either. Especially because I haven't seen Honolulu and Las Vegas yet.

I'll admit that the first time I saw the scenery and the city when I was a little kid, it was pretty awesome. To stand on the Twin Peaks and see the orangish glow of the city's street grid lights below you (in the evening/dawn) with the skyline in the forefront, the bridge in the back, the mountains, the bay, and the ocean, as well as some fog was breathtaking. To the left would be the bridge, the separation of the bay and ocean, the mountains around the bridge, you may even get to see the tunnel entrance on the other side if you're high enough on the Twin Peaks. To the right, everything city-specific.

I've outgrown San Francisco. Every time I come here, I always do the same thing. Go to the same places. In fact, I know the Bay Area well enough to drive around here and I typically do, without GPS or maps.

It's beautiful but this is the last time I'll be coming here for a while. I'm still really young and there's way more that I want to see than San Francisco and the Bay Area for the one millionth time.
Oh yea I hear you. The comment I made about your pictures was a snide one directed at one particular SF booster who finds any reason to over-glorify SF just because he recently moved to the area.

Thats the first I've ever heard of someone tiring of the Bay Area. Very interesting take.

Old 01-09-2014, 04:34 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,673,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lunatic & A Therapist View Post
I have never been to Honolulu, but this is my take. My opinion of Honolulu is the natural beauty is amazing of course. However, a major con is the price of visiting. Honolulu is the most expensive flight on the list. Also, Honolulu is isolated. So, If I arrive and am not feeling it, I am stuck and that means money/time wasted. I don't feel Honolulu is worth the money. I could go to Europe or a larger country and if I'm not feeling the vibe just leave for another city.

My friends have given me negative reviews. They said it felt like visiting a retirement home, old people everywhere. They said the nightlife was horrible. Again, I have never been but that is my opinion along with my friends who have visited.

* Red John, nice pics!!!
Or you can just quickly and cheaply fly to another island. You know there is more than one island in the state of Hawaii right?

Old 01-09-2014, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Awesome. I would've liked to see some photos of Southeast SF, and areas like Lakeview and Sunnydale, and neighborhoods like Filmore. And some Oakland pics would've been just as awesome. The Bay looks so awesome, and all those towns surrounding the bay, and all those hillsides, intrigue the heck out of me. Vallejo, Emeryville, Hayward, Marin City, Sunnydale, South SF, Daly City, Pittsburgh, Oakland, Berkeley, ETC.
Do you have some interest in the Bay Area's ghetto's or something? LOL.

Old 01-09-2014, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
As a city though, I think Honolulu is underrated but I can see people passing it over as a choice. A lot of people go to Hawaii but skip Honolulu entirely and go to another island like Maui or Kauai or try to get out of there as fast as possible to some other part of the islands. As far as tourist districts go though, Waikiki is among the more likeable ones in the US--I mean it's got a beautiful location and it's even got a few older places with some character mixed in with the typical tourist businesses.
I agree. For 1 million people Honolulu is a very vibrant and urban city. Waikiki easily gives South Beach a run for it's money when it comes to vibrancy imo.

Old 01-09-2014, 04:56 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,957,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Do you have some interest in the Bay Area's ghetto's or something? LOL.
YES!!!!!

E-40, AKA, 40WATER, AKA 40-FONZERELLI, is from the city of Vallejo. I'm a HUGE fan of Bay Area Hip-Hop:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amDP4fWtUcg

E-40 - Practice Lookin' Hard - YouTube

Old 01-09-2014, 05:19 PM

215 posts, read 379,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilly Gentilly View Post
Oh yea I hear you. The comment I made about your pictures was a snide one directed at one particular SF booster who finds any reason to over-glorify SF just because he recently moved to the area.

Thats the first I've ever heard of someone tiring of the Bay Area. Very interesting take.
I agree with Red John. The Bay Area is good for a one time 5 day trip, nothing more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Or you can just quickly and cheaply fly to another island. You know there is more than one island in the state of Hawaii right?
Yes, I'm aware. I'm just not interested.

Old 01-09-2014, 05:24 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,974,015 times
Actually I was just talking about the Bay Area from my perspective. I've seen it plenty as it is. I'm not going to bother recommending or not recommending anywhere for others, I just really don't care much.

You can only see Fisherman's Wharf so many times before the smile on your face is gone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City