Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best city for tourists?
Montreal 7 10.77%
Vegas 8 12.31%
Miami 4 6.15%
Chicago 9 13.85%
NOLA 6 9.23%
San Francisco 13 20.00%
Orlando 6 9.23%
Honolulu 12 18.46%
none 0 0%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2014, 08:23 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,329,664 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by canefandynasty View Post
Miami proper doesn't include Miami Beach. But seriously, who the heck really cares?
This is City-Data.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2014, 08:33 PM

804 posts, read 619,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canefandynasty View Post
Miami proper doesn't include Miami Beach. But seriously, who the heck really cares?
No it doesn't yet there are quite a few things in Miami that draw tourists from around the world.

Old 01-08-2014, 09:23 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,974,015 times
My week so far in San Francisco Bay Area. Note to moderators: the pictures are my own.

From the Golden Gate Bridge:

//www.city-data.com/forum/membe...08621-sf07.jpg

//www.city-data.com/forum/membe...08617-sf03.jpg

//www.city-data.com/forum/membe...08616-sf02.jpg

//www.city-data.com/forum/membe...08615-sf01.jpg

//www.city-data.com/forum/membe...08618-sf04.jpg
There was some hiking
//www.city-data.com/forum/membe...08623-sf97.jpg

Also went to a few museums, namely the California Science one, the inside planetarium thing is nice and the green space around the museum is lovely too, weird tree bases by the way. Went inside of and got to see some prominent company headquarters. Went to both the urban parks and the state parks. Saw the Embarcado, Marin, Sonoma, Napa, Oakland, Berkeley, Stanford, Palo Alto, Mountain View, Menlo Park, Hayward, Cupertino, and of course San Jose.

Favorite: Palo Alto

Last edited by JMT; 01-10-2014 at 07:49 PM..

Old 01-08-2014, 10:03 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,957,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John View Post
My week so far in San Francisco Bay Area. Note to moderators: the pictures are my own.

From the Golden Gate Bridge:

//www.city-data.com/forum/membe...08619-sf05.jpg

//www.city-data.com/forum/membe...08621-sf07.jpg

//www.city-data.com/forum/membe...08617-sf03.jpg

//www.city-data.com/forum/membe...08616-sf02.jpg

//www.city-data.com/forum/membe...08615-sf01.jpg

//www.city-data.com/forum/membe...08618-sf04.jpg
There was some hiking

//www.city-data.com/forum/membe...08622-sf09.jpg
Also saw Big Sur to the south of the San Francisco Bay Area and in the Monterrey Bay Area

//www.city-data.com/forum/membe...08623-sf97.jpg

Also went to a few museums, namely the California Science one, the inside planetarium thing is nice and the green space around the museum is lovely too, weird tree bases by the way. Went inside of and got to see some prominent company headquarters. Went to both the urban parks and the state parks. Saw the Embarcado, Marin, Sonoma, Napa, Oakland, Berkeley, Stanford, Palo Alto, Mountain View, Menlo Park, Hayward, Cupertino, and of course San Jose.

Favorite: Palo Alto
Awesome. I would've liked to see some photos of Southeast SF, and areas like Lakeview and Sunnydale, and neighborhoods like Filmore. And some Oakland pics would've been just as awesome. The Bay looks so awesome, and all those towns surrounding the bay, and all those hillsides, intrigue the heck out of me. Vallejo, Emeryville, Hayward, Marin City, Sunnydale, South SF, Daly City, Pittsburgh, Oakland, Berkeley, ETC.

Old 01-08-2014, 10:45 PM

1,901 posts, read 3,088,181 times
Honolulu Hawaii is behind Chicago and SF for tourist destination...just sayin'

Old 01-08-2014, 11:04 PM

215 posts, read 379,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilly Gentilly View Post
I have never been to Honolulu, but this is my take. My opinion of Honolulu is the natural beauty is amazing of course. However, a major con is the price of visiting. Honolulu is the most expensive flight on the list. Also, Honolulu is isolated. So, If I arrive and am not feeling it, I am stuck and that means money/time wasted. I don't feel Honolulu is worth the money. I could go to Europe or a larger country and if I'm not feeling the vibe just leave for another city.

My friends have given me negative reviews. They said it felt like visiting a retirement home, old people everywhere. They said the nightlife was horrible. Again, I have never been but that is my opinion along with my friends who have visited.

* Red John, nice pics!!!

Old 01-09-2014, 03:07 AM

7,132 posts, read 9,141,983 times
Ugh...I just want to live in SF so bad. Please, oh please lord, let me get a dream job in SF in 10-15 years(I'll be working in Tech) that can afford me a decent studio or apartment. I can't imagine how expensive it'll be then.

Old 01-09-2014, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilly Gentilly View Post
What's wrong with SF? You don't think the combo of history and the urbanity of SF and the surrounding cities, and the combo of the natural scenery isn't good enough to put it over Hawaii?

Old 01-09-2014, 11:24 AM

9,961 posts, read 17,531,877 times
Living on the West Coast, I find that people take short trips to major cities like San Francisco(a weekend trip) or other places one can reach quick enough with a non-stop flight, but then take longer vactions to places like like Hawaii or South Florida(or Mexico). Because in the end, even people who love cities, also often love warm sunny beaches. I mean I can go to a lot of cities and eat at nice restaurants or go to a museum or see a show and I love that, but come the middle of winter there's only a few places in the country that are reliably warm enough for swimming at the beach(or where I can go snorkelling).

As a city though, I think Honolulu is underrated but I can see people passing it over as a choice. A lot of people go to Hawaii but skip Honolulu entirely and go to another island like Maui or Kauai or try to get out of there as fast as possible to some other part of the islands. As far as tourist districts go though, Waikiki is among the more likeable ones in the US--I mean it's got a beautiful location and it's even got a few older places with some character mixed in with the typical tourist businesses.

Last edited by JMT; 01-10-2014 at 07:36 PM..

Old 01-09-2014, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
Living on the West Coast, I find that people take short trips to major cities like San Francisco(a weekend trip) or other places one can reach quick enough with a non-stop flight, but then take longer vactions to places like like Hawaii or South Florida(or Mexico). Because in the end, even people who love cities, also often love warm sunny beaches. I mean I can go to a lot of cities and eat at nice restaurants or go to a museum or see a show and I love that, but come the middle of winter there's only a few places in the country that are reliably warm enough for swimming at the beach(or where I can go snorkelling).

As a city though, I think Honolulu is underrated but I can see people passing it over as a choice. A lot of people go to Hawaii but skip Honolulu entirely and go to another island like Maui or Kauai or try to get out of there as fast as possible to some other part of the islands. As far as tourist districts go though, Waikiki is among the more likeable ones in the US--I mean it's got a beautiful location and it's even got a few older places with some character mixed in with the typical tourist businesses.
Exactly. Who wants to wait in a long line, in 5 degree weather. There are no long lines to enjoy the sun and beach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City