Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best city for tourists?
Montreal 7 10.77%
Vegas 8 12.31%
Miami 4 6.15%
Chicago 9 13.85%
NOLA 6 9.23%
San Francisco 13 20.00%
Orlando 6 9.23%
Honolulu 12 18.46%
none 0 0%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2014, 05:52 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,527,896 times

Advertisements

lol at that song "Jobs like the oil refinery (what you rather do man), I'd rather work up in Napa at the winery."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2014, 06:26 PM

1,214 posts, read 1,697,374 times
I think Key West should be on here as well. It's a prime tourist hot spot that is known for its laid back party atmosphere and beautiful scenery.

Old 01-09-2014, 06:31 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,673,805 times
Key West really isn't in the same league as these cities for tourism or anything really.

Old 01-09-2014, 07:54 PM

669 posts, read 916,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Key West really isn't in the same league as these cities for tourism or anything really.
These are the tourist figures I got in 2012 from these sites:

http://www.hawaiitourismauthority.or...%20(FINAL).pdf

http://www.keywestchamber.org/PDF/demographics.pdf

Hawaii: 7,998,815
Florida Keys: 2,713,658

Now unless somebody wants to tell me these figures are totally wrong, there is far more difference between the entire state of Hawaii and Miami than there is between those two. If those stats are correct, The Keys exceed all islands but O'ahu in total # of tourists and can certainly even compete with that if the other islands weren't included.

Old 01-09-2014, 08:14 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,141,983 times
Miami may just be easier to access...You essentially MUST fly to Hawaii. A good portion of the country can drive without too much hassle.

Old 01-09-2014, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilly Gentilly View Post
What do you attribute that to? Do you think Honolulu or other Island getaways are truly inferior to coastal South Florida?
I just posted tourism figures buddy, to quote something I previously heard today, "that is something that you imagined in your own mind." To quote something else, "It sounds like you have a chip on your shoulder" if you are trying to turn that into something more than what it was.

This is kind of off topic, though I do however closely associate Miami and The Keys with the Caribbean due to their climate and proximity something which I consider a FAR superior destination than Hawaii.

Old 01-09-2014, 08:26 PM

1,901 posts, read 3,088,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yyuusr View Post
I just posted tourism figures buddy, to quote something I previously heard today, "that is something that you imagined in your own mind." To quote something else, "It sounds like you have a chip on your shoulder" if you are trying to turn that into something more than what it was.

This is off topic, though I do however closely associate Miami and The Keys with the Caribbean due to their climate and proximity something which I consider a FAR superior destination than Hawaii.
Dude I wasn't trying to argue with you or "turn that into something more". I simply asked your thoughts in an attempt to get this thread back on the rails...you need to dial it down

Ok, so you do definitely consider Miami superior to Honolulu. Got it.

Old 01-09-2014, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilly Gentilly View Post
Dude I wasn't trying to argue with you or "turn that into something more". I simply asked your thoughts in an attempt to get this thread back on the rails...you need to dial it down

Ok, so you do definitely consider Miami superior to Honolulu. Got it.
So? I didn't realize that was a crime. Lot's of people would. Certainly if you are into nightlife and urbanity. Speaking of dialing it down, I also never said I considered South Florida superior to Hawaii. That is something you just randomly assumed. You need to look at your own self in the mirror before posting like that. My posts were strictly based on the The Keys.

This is something I always take with a grain of salt and I would never ask anybody to take this seriously but just for fun, this site called tripadvisor is a common site that pops up when you type in tourist destinations and they try to list the total number of things you could do in a place. It has O'ahu and the Florida Keys pretty close with 859 and 830 each.

https://www.google.com/#q=oahu+hawaii

https://www.google.com/#q=florida+keys

Old 01-09-2014, 08:55 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,673,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yyuusr View Post
These are the tourist figures I got in 2012 from these sites:

http://www.hawaiitourismauthority.or...%20(FINAL).pdf

http://www.keywestchamber.org/PDF/demographics.pdf

Hawaii: 7,998,815
Florida Keys: 2,713,658

Now unless somebody wants to tell me these figures are totally wrong, there is far more difference between the entire state of Hawaii and Miami than there is between those two. If those stats are correct, The Keys exceed all islands but O'ahu in total # of tourists and can certainly even compete with that if the other islands weren't included.
Well thanks for helping prove my points with stats that Key West is not on the level on Honolulu and these other cities lol. And anyone whose been to both Honolulu and Key West certainly knows that little speck of an island with mediocre beaches really can't compare to Honolulu let alone these other cities overall. Still a nice town to visit though.

Old 01-09-2014, 09:29 PM

1,901 posts, read 3,088,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Miami may just be easier to access...You essentially MUST fly to Hawaii. A good portion of the country can drive without too much hassle.
This is true. Miami's not too bad a drive even from here, but I'd prefer not to drive obviously. And if, indeed, I am going to fly, I'd prefer Honolulu as the destination over Miami. Coming from New Orleans, Honolulu would offer a more exotic trip with a different climate than what I'm already accustomed to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City