Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best city for tourists?
Montreal 7 10.77%
Vegas 8 12.31%
Miami 4 6.15%
Chicago 9 13.85%
NOLA 6 9.23%
San Francisco 13 20.00%
Orlando 6 9.23%
Honolulu 12 18.46%
none 0 0%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2014, 09:10 AM

1,512 posts, read 2,364,817 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by risotto11 View Post
Possibly but not Orlando itself but Disney Park. If it wasn't for Disney Orlando would draw as much of tourist crowd as Tallahassee lol
Let's make sure we all understand that tourists just don't visit Orlando for Orlando like they visit NYC for NYC
I wouldn't say that Orlando is like Tallahassee in terms of tourist numbers, especially since Universal Studios, SeaWorld, and Wet 'n' Wild are within or close to city-limits. But I agree that Disney World is the main attraction that draws people to the Orlando area/metro. Disney World is actually its own city, Bay Lake, and that city just happens to be in the same county as Orlando. Cities like NYC, Chicago, Atlanta, D.C., San Francisco, N.O., and maybe Miami (most people end up in Miami Beach, not Miami itself) probably have a lot more tourist that end up within the cities itself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2014, 09:45 AM

804 posts, read 618,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHomunculus View Post
I wouldn't say that Orlando is like Tallahassee in terms of tourist numbers, especially since Universal Studios, SeaWorld, and Wet 'n' Wild are within or close to city-limits. But I agree that Disney World is the main attraction that draws people to the Orlando area/metro. Disney World is actually its own city, Bay Lake, and that city just happens to be in the same county as Orlando. Cities like NYC, Chicago, Atlanta, D.C., San Francisco, N.O., and maybe Miami (most people end up in Miami Beach, not Miami itself) probably have a lot more tourist that end up within the cities itself.
For clarity I bundled all theme parks together but I believe we both agree that it's not Orlando's nightlife or culture that brings tourists to Orange County lol

Old 01-08-2014, 09:57 AM

669 posts, read 915,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by risotto11 View Post
Possibly but not Orlando itself but Disney Park. If it wasn't for Disney Orlando would draw as much of tourist crowd as Tallahassee lol
Let's make sure we all understand that tourists just don't visit Orlando for Orlando like they visit NYC for NYC
Not Disney, all theme parks in general which they have a lot of. Disney World just happens to be the biggest.

Old 01-08-2014, 10:31 AM

349 posts, read 573,391 times
I don't know why all the clarification for Orlando, when the Vegas strip is nothing more than just an adult version of a theme park also. What would Vegas be without it?

Old 01-08-2014, 10:43 AM

804 posts, read 618,751 times
We'll, the strip happens to be in LV and is an integral part of the city while the theme parks are not even located in Orlando. I see some similarities though in both cities being a one-dimensional tourist attraction as opposed to for instance, to New York where it is hard to name just one major tourist attraction. You go to LV to gamble and Orlando when you have young kids. NYC is not that easy to classify

Quote:
Originally Posted by goonsta View Post
I don't know why all the clarification for Orlando, when the Vegas strip is nothing more than just an adult version of a theme park also. What would Vegas be without it?

Old 01-08-2014, 11:06 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,515,553 times
Quote:
Wait, you just said it isn't, then continue to list other theme parks? When people say Disney, it is just a substitute for all the theme parks... They do not mean people go there, shun all other theme parks and only go to Disney owned ones. Not sure why you say "probably" ... of course they are going there for that.

Old 01-08-2014, 11:25 AM

1,512 posts, read 2,364,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Wait, you just said it isn't, then continue to list other theme parks? When people say Disney, it is just a substitute for all the theme parks... They do not mean people go there, shun all other theme parks and only go to Disney owned ones. Not sure why you say "probably" ... of course they are going there for that.
I said that Disney World is the main thing people are going for. I don't really know of people that verbally substitute "all the theme parks" with just "Disney World", especially since Disney World alone has a bunch of individual theme parks, hotels, sights, etc.

For many people, Disney World is more than enough.

Old 01-08-2014, 02:46 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,966,660 times
Miami is losing to Montreal and everywhere else on a day like today? LOL. I know there are some snow and cold lovers out there but this? LOL.

Come on though. The reason to visit places like Miami and Las Vegas are so radically different from the reasons you'd have to visit Chicago, Montreal, San Francisco. It's really on the individuals personal preference, although thanks to advertisement and lifestyle highlights, most people do prefer to visit Miami of the lot.

New Orleans seems to have a great blend of both groups, honestly.

That being said, I'll go with Miami, pretty easily at that.

Old 01-08-2014, 04:22 PM

669 posts, read 915,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John View Post
Miami is losing to Montreal and everywhere else on a day like today? LOL. I know there are some snow and cold lovers out there but this? LOL.

Come on though. The reason to visit places like Miami and Las Vegas are so radically different from the reasons you'd have to visit Chicago, Montreal, San Francisco. It's really on the individuals personal preference, although thanks to advertisement and lifestyle highlights, most people do prefer to visit Miami of the lot.

New Orleans seems to have a great blend of both groups, honestly.

That being said, I'll go with Miami, pretty easily at that.
New Orleans doesn't really attract urban type. It's not that urban at all.

I voted Montreal and I'm not really a cold lover. Weather is one of the last things on my mind for most places in the US. Even then I always look at it from a year-round perspective. Montreal gets quite cold but Miami gets very hot so none are exactly paradise.

Old 01-08-2014, 04:27 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,946,158 times
Quote:
Now, why the "Maybe Miami"? Why can't Miami CITY-LIMITS live off of the name of Miami Beach? And yes, even mainland Miami is a tourist-friendly city.

Last edited by polo89; 01-08-2014 at 04:41 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City