Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2014, 12:04 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,249,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
It's significant for sure. However I don't think this is necessarily going to bring Miami's economy to the next level.

In all fairness, with the exception of Miami Beach, if Miami disappeared from the face of the earth we wouldn't be missing it either.
Its funny, I think most Americans would rank Miami as a lesser city then the 3 great Southern cities; Atlanta, Houston and Dallas. I certainly know I would.

But I guess you have to consider that Miami is a big business hub for Latin America and the Caribbean.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2014, 12:16 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,966,660 times
He explained his methodology for the Alpha-Beta-Gamma-High-Sufficiency stratas a few years ago actually. The cities are ranked by intensive and extensive connections firms have with London. The ranking is how the planet's financial centers have a presence from or in London.
Quote:
The Challenge Facing World City Network Analysis

I have personally been caught up in this process through an early research project on how London related economically with other world cities. The latter had to be identified and a ‘roster of cities' was devised by counting numbers of selected firms in a range of cities (Beaverstock et al 1999). The variation in numbers was simplified by dividing cities into strata labelled alpha, beta and gamma. This essentially petty exercise, just a first step in investigating London's external links, has had immense influence: personally it is my most cited article and, with hundreds of citations, it is the most cited article ever published in the journal Cities. I interpret this astonishing success as my ‘alpha-beta-gamma misgiving'.
GaWC Research Bulletin 409

It's never been a ranking for the world's most powerful cities. It's silly really, they wouldn't include something as trivial as height of skyscrapers as the criteria for an importance ranking, not in a capitalist savvy world.

Old 01-16-2014, 12:20 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,460,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Its funny, I think most Americans would rank Miami as a lesser city then the 3 great Southern cities; Atlanta, Houston and Dallas. I certainly know I would.

But I guess you have to consider that Miami is a big business hub for Latin America and the Caribbean.
Yea it's definitely important, though I'd still put the economic power of Dallas & Houston on a different level than Miami, with it being about equal with Atlanta.

Old 01-16-2014, 12:20 PM

The new supertall proposed for Philadelphia is awesome. Hope it comes out as rendered, the dark facade and glass coating, with the uniquely shaped and lit up spire at the top just as the building starts increasing height towards the head of the tower looks pretty fantastic.

Someone from Philadelphia keep construction updates on that thing. I'd love to see it when it's done.

Sorry about bringing skyscrapers into this, I just learned today that they're somehow attached as a criteria for the Global Cities Network (GaWC). This is as good a place as any.

Old 01-16-2014, 12:24 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,946,158 times
LOL, Miami is a young city, the fact that it's already an alpha - is amazing either way. It's the youngest Alpha city. And it's still the base for many of America's ventures into Latin-America. Although, NYC might still be the primary city for Latin-American banking(and global banking in general), as was stated earlier. Miami's still 2nd in that category.

Old 01-16-2014, 12:26 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,515,553 times
Is Latin American Banking even all that important... North America/Europe/Asia are much stronger.

Old 01-16-2014, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Is Latin American Banking even all that important... North America/Europe/Asia are much stronger.
I always ask this question and have been doing so for over a year on this forum. Which Latin American bank headquarters are based in Miami? I never get a response and it's always crickets chirping in the back.

I just put it into Google and honestly some of the small-ish banks from small countries are less developed and less powerful than even something like BBVA Compass out of Alabama. I'm not suggesting every bank from those countries are like this in Miami, certainly not, there are some important ones (like Itau), but are they T.D., Wells Fargo, Goldman Sachs, Bank of America, J.P. Morgan Chase, so on level good? No way, Jose.

I think Miami has other more important things than Latin American banking personally. I'd probably bet on Miami's Latin American connections to media is far more prominent. Never mind the creative culture, arts, and music industries.

Last edited by Trafalgar Law; 01-16-2014 at 12:51 PM..

Old 01-16-2014, 12:33 PM

650 posts, read 1,630,259 times
Count your success by the number of haters.

Old 01-16-2014, 12:36 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,946,158 times
You guys are actually correct. Alot of those banks are 2nd even 3rd tier Latin-American banks. So Miami, being a young city, achieved an Alpha- ranking, basically based on Tourism, and Film. Pretty impressive how much Miami has accomplished, with pretty much no legitimate economic base to speak of, outside of Tourism. Either way, Miami got to where it was somehow. Basically, Miami accomplished so much with so little. Not bad for a city that was basically swampland no more than 100yrs ago VS cities that have been established for 100's of years.

Old 01-16-2014, 12:40 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,656,174 times
Reading this thread I imagine some you in a Jan Brady voice saying "Miami, Miami, Miami!" Lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City