Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2021, 11:58 AM

13,759 posts, read 8,066,309 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyExpert View Post
South Padre Island, TX or Grand Marais, MN?
Definitely South Padre. I don't like cold weather, and it would also be neat to be so close to Mexico.

Tigerville, South Carolina or Boiling Springs, North Carolina?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2021, 03:18 PM

3,651 posts, read 4,524,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
Definitely South Padre. I don't like cold weather, and it would also be neat to be so close to Mexico.

Tigerville, South Carolina or Boiling Springs, North Carolina?
Tigerville. My high school girlfriend and I, living in NJ, almost went to Gardner Webb...but when we visited the town, it depressed us for some reason. I think it was the name and the gloominess of the day. This was in 2009. I've never been to Tigerville, so at least it would be something new.

Denver CO or Dallas TX?

Old 06-08-2021, 03:32 PM

6,433 posts, read 5,084,541 times
Dallas. I don't really like Denver's vibe and the guys aren't really my type. I also would not enjoy the isolation. Seattle is kind of isolated too, but Portland and Spokane are much more interesting to visit than Colorado Springs and Pueblo look to be --- and also have their own distinct character, rather than just feeling interchangeable with parts of the Seattle metro. The main thing I'd prefer about Denver would be the walkable neighborhoods, but from streetviewing around Dallas, it actually doesn't seem too bad in this regard, it's just that the city also includes a lot of fringe sprawl in addition to the core neighborhoods.

Providence, RI or Torrance, CA?

Old 06-08-2021, 04:46 PM

9,719 posts, read 9,482,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
Dallas. I don't really like Denver's vibe and the guys aren't really my type. I also would not enjoy the isolation. Seattle is kind of isolated too, but Portland and Spokane are much more interesting to visit than Colorado Springs and Pueblo look to be --- and also have their own distinct character, rather than just feeling interchangeable with parts of the Seattle metro. The main thing I'd prefer about Denver would be the walkable neighborhoods, but from streetviewing around Dallas, it actually doesn't seem too bad in this regard, it's just that the city also includes a lot of fringe sprawl in addition to the core neighborhoods.

Providence, RI or Torrance, CA?
Providence, RI is a wonderful place. The great thing about it is how the city blends old and new. It is charming and has the Roger Williams Zoo and Federal Hill.

El Paso, TX or Madison, WI?

Old 06-08-2021, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
Providence, RI is a wonderful place. The great thing about it is how the city blends old and new. It is charming and has the Roger Williams Zoo and Federal Hill.

El Paso, TX or Madison, WI?
Kinda a tough choice actually. I've not spent much time in either Wisconsin (or the midwest) nor West Texas (or the SW in general). I think I would go with El Paso here. I'm not a big fan of Texas, but I feel like El Paso being on the TX/MX/NM border changes things a bit. Although I've also never been to Wisconsin, I feel like I'm generally familiar with the topography of green trees, straight flat roads, and lakes. Some nice quaint downtowns. BUT. Going with El Paso here.

Cincinnati vs Richmond VA

Old 06-08-2021, 06:02 PM

10,216 posts, read 1,046,765 times
Richmond VA - lots of history.

Northport NY or Newport VT???

Last edited by nandorrei; 06-08-2021 at 06:04 PM.. Reason: correct city

Old 06-08-2021, 06:57 PM

3,496 posts, read 3,420,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
I think you meant "ferry from Hyannis to Martha's Vineyard or Nantucket." Hyannis is on the Cape itself.

You can also take a ferry from Boston to Provincetown at the tip of the Cape in peak tourist season. That's a really nice ride too.

As for this comparison: La Crosse, because I've been to Cape Girardeau and it's nothing to write home about.

Wayne, Pa., or Potomac, Md.?
Let me clarify this part of the comment. Earlier when I did my previous post, I was basing what I said in my previous post off of data I found on flightconnections.com . Where yes really there were a few flights from Hyannis, to Martha's Vineyard and also Nantucket. That said, I'm sure more people(if coming from the Cape) probably take a ferry from the south part of the Cape to either Martha's Vineyard or Nantucket, vs. fly. Although I could see someone flying into MV or Nantucket, if they were coming from a further distance(i.e. Boston, White Plains, NY's airport, etc). I have learned a lot about smaller airports(even ones with only one scheduled flight to a bigger city), thanks to flightconnections.com

For the most recent comparison, I'd probably pick Northport. That town seems like it'd be nice on the north side of the island, plus also via ferries wouldn't be far from Connecticut. Newport probably isn't a bad town, but not sure I'd want to live somewhere that isolated.

Back to the opposites theme a few posts back, this one on towns not too far away from the ocean. Portsmouth, NH, or Astoria, OR?

Old 06-08-2021, 09:44 PM

4,757 posts, read 3,071,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonySegaTendo617 View Post
Back to the opposites theme a few posts back, this one on towns not too far away from the ocean. Portsmouth, NH, or Astoria, OR?
Have to vote for Orygun here.... NH is scenic as well, but the winters... no thanks.

Coeur d'Alene ID, or Durango CO?

Old 06-09-2021, 07:30 AM

13,759 posts, read 8,066,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW4me View Post
Coeur d'Alene ID, or Durango CO?
Coeur d'Alene. For my tastes and preferences, this is one of the top cold weather spots in the nation as far as livability; and it has a great Catholic community which is important to me. I was even surprised to find that its winters are actually milder than Durango's.

Pensacola, Florida or Portland, Maine?

Old 06-09-2021, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
Coeur d'Alene. For my tastes and preferences, this is one of the top cold weather spots in the nation as far as livability; and it has a great Catholic community which is important to me. I was even surprised to find that its winters are actually milder than Durango's.

Pensacola, Florida or Portland, Maine?
Portland, sorta by a country mile. I prefer New England culture to deep south culture. Don't even get me started on the terrible weather in P-cola. Maine (and NE) overall is just a gorgeous state. Florida not so much though it certainly does have its beauty of course.

San Juan, Puerto Rico or Tallahassee, Florida?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City