Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2021, 08:25 AM

2,570 posts, read 2,907,735 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borntoolate85 View Post
Manchester. Close enough to metro Boston for practical commuting, plus there's no sales tax. I like how in that part of New England you can be close to both and the mountains and the seacoast, and the winters are just manageable enough for me to enjoy. Roanoke is just too far from any large city and its economy isn't growing as fast as other Appalachian South metros like Knoxville, Chattanooga, or Asheville.

Catonsville, MD or Linndale, OH?
Catonsville... As a large suburb there would be a greater volume and variety of housing options compared to a small village like Linndale. I also would slightly prefer to live in the Baltimore metro area over Cleveland's.

Midland, MI or Midland, TX?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2021, 08:55 AM

13,791 posts, read 8,089,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyExpert View Post
Midland, MI or Midland, TX?
I'm going with the one in Michigan in spite of my strong dislike of cold weather. Midland TX is just too transient, unstable, and treeless. Michigan really is a great place in many ways and my summers living there would be off the chain.

Clewiston, Florida or Brawley, California?

Old 06-10-2021, 03:33 PM

899 posts, read 529,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
I'm going with the one in Michigan in spite of my strong dislike of cold weather. Midland TX is just too transient, unstable, and treeless. Michigan really is a great place in many ways and my summers living there would be off the chain.

Clewiston, Florida or Brawley, California?
Clewiston. I don’t like either, but the cost of living is better in Clewiston, and the gun laws are more rational in Florida.

Duluth, Minnesota or Manchester, New Hampshire?

Old 06-10-2021, 06:29 PM

14,343 posts, read 9,230,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by General I80 View Post
Clewiston. I don’t like either, but the cost of living is better in Clewiston, and the gun laws are more rational in Florida.

Duluth, Minnesota or Manchester, New Hampshire?
Manchester again, for about the same reasons the previous poster picked it over Roanoke.

I understand that the shore of Lake Superior at Duluth has some spectacular bluffs, but otherwise, this is a pretty isolated city in the Iron Range, which I suspect is not as scenic as the countryside around New Hampshire's largest city. And it is easy to get from there to anywhere else in the state save its northernmost county (where the Old Man of the Mountains used to be), not to mention Boston and Maine.

BTW, not only is there no state sales tax, there's no state income tax either — the Granite State is the only one of the 50 to have this distinction. Any New Hampshire politician who suggests enacting either commits career suicide. And if you live there, your next-door neighbor may well be one of your representatives in Concord; with 400 members, the New Hampshire House is the second-largest legislative body in the country, behind only the United States Congress and ahead of Pennsylvania's 203-member House. But as there are only 1.3 million New Hampshirites, that means that NH House members (which are elected from multi-member districts) represent fewer people than any other representatives in the country. (The New Hampshire General Court, however, is only a part-time legislature, so its cost to the state taxpayers is modest.)

I think I may have asked this before, but I'll ask it again:

Portland, Me., or Lancaster, Pa.?

Old 06-10-2021, 07:43 PM

9,727 posts, read 9,497,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Manchester again, for about the same reasons the previous poster picked it over Roanoke.

I understand that the shore of Lake Superior at Duluth has some spectacular bluffs, but otherwise, this is a pretty isolated city in the Iron Range, which I suspect is not as scenic as the countryside around New Hampshire's largest city. And it is easy to get from there to anywhere else in the state save its northernmost county (where the Old Man of the Mountains used to be), not to mention Boston and Maine.

BTW, not only is there no state sales tax, there's no state income tax either — the Granite State is the only one of the 50 to have this distinction. Any New Hampshire politician who suggests enacting either commits career suicide. And if you live there, your next-door neighbor may well be one of your representatives in Concord; with 400 members, the New Hampshire House is the second-largest legislative body in the country, behind only the United States Congress and ahead of Pennsylvania's 203-member House. But as there are only 1.3 million New Hampshirites, that means that NH House members (which are elected from multi-member districts) represent fewer people than any other representatives in the country. (The New Hampshire General Court, however, is only a part-time legislature, so its cost to the state taxpayers is modest.)

I think I may have asked this before, but I'll ask it again:

Portland, Me., or Lancaster, Pa.?
Lancaster, PA due to better location and located in a more interesting state. Amish country and Dutch cultures are something we have very little of back home.

Franklin, TN or Mason, OH?

Old 06-11-2021, 06:20 AM

6,772 posts, read 4,571,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
Lancaster, PA due to better location and located in a more interesting state. Amish country and Dutch cultures are something we have very little of back home.

Franklin, TN or Mason, OH?
Wow! Though one. I love both towns and metro areas (Nashville and Cincinnati). But I'm going to go with Mason. Cincy in a more well-rounded metro area than Nashville overall. Very underrated.

Minneapolis, MN or Seattle, WA?

Old 06-11-2021, 07:09 AM

11,927 posts, read 8,154,641 times
Seattle. Minneapolis is great but the beauty found in Seattle is matched in only a handful of places in this country. That plus Seattle has the more tolerable winter.

Orlando FL or San Antonio TX?

Old 06-11-2021, 07:12 AM

13,791 posts, read 8,089,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Orlando FL or San Antonio TX?
San Antonio. It's the most appealing big city in Texas to me mainly due to the history and culture. I grew up in Central Florida and wouldn't care to move back, especially Orlando proper.

Rotterdam, New York or Holland, Michigan?

Old 06-11-2021, 05:28 PM

94,175 posts, read 125,031,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
San Antonio. It's the most appealing big city in Texas to me mainly due to the history and culture. I grew up in Central Florida and wouldn't care to move back, especially Orlando proper.

Rotterdam, New York or Holland, Michigan?
I'll go with Holland due to being an actual city that is on a lake and is very close to Lake Michigan. It is also close to Grand Rapids. Rotterdam is just a suburban town next to Schenectady.

Hagerstown MD or Bowling Green KY?

Old 06-11-2021, 05:46 PM

9,727 posts, read 9,497,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I'll go with Holland due to being an actual city that is on a lake and is very close to Lake Michigan. It is also close to Grand Rapids. Rotterdam is just a suburban town next to Schenectady.

Hagerstown MD or Bowling Green KY?
Hagerstown by a smidge. I enjoy Maryland more than Kentucky. Hagerstown has interesting places of interest as well.

Tempe, AZ or Canton, OH?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City