Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2022, 08:55 AM

73 posts, read 45,774 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW4me View Post
How do you think up these unusual pairs, Blue Bars??

I haven't visited KY, but I see Ashland is located just across the river from Ohio,
where there would be nearby lakes and woodlands to visit, plus mysterious places like this:
www.google.com/maps/@38.7630379,-82.6718831,3a,90y,89.41h,83.01t/data=!3m8!1e1!3m6!1sAF1QipMyvvEbQXQUyV4jTOPKotM9Wg IWI_ILPLL0o1d7!2e10!3e11!6shttps:%2F%2Flh5.googleu sercontent.com%2Fp%2FAF1QipMyvvEbQXQUyV4jTOPKotM9W gIWI_ILPLL0o1d7%3Dw203-h100-k-no-pi-0-ya228-ro0-fo100!7i11264!8i5632

But I'd probably still choose Barstow... nothing notable about Barstow itself, as far as I know;
it's just a desert town at a highway junction. But it's within a few hours' drive (or less) of many great
natural attractions: Death Valley and Joshua Tree for winter exploration, the Sierras for summer hikes,
and (closer) the San Bernardino and San Gabriel Mountains. Plus, LA is about two hours away.

Prescott AZ, or Las Cruces NM?
Prescott due to mountains.
Let's say if you had to choose live in one of these places for 5 years and can't leave. Which one would you choose?

Furnace Creek, CA or Prospect Creek, AK
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2022, 09:42 AM

14,317 posts, read 9,198,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixjohe View Post
Prescott due to mountains.
Let's say if you had to choose live in one of these places for 5 years and can't leave. Which one would you choose?
For scenery, Prescott hands down.

Both cities are close to larger cities with interesting things to do (Prescott: Phoenix; Las Cruces: El Paso).

However: Even though "it's a dry heat," I don't think I'd like the incredibly hot (and getting hotter) Phoenix summers. I'll wager that Prescott's cooler thanks to its being nestled in mountains, but as I would like to visit the nearby city every so often, that actually tips the scale in favor of Las Cruces for me. Besides, I like New Mexico cuisine, though I do know that Southwestern fare is also common in Arizona.

Quote:
Furnace Creek, CA or Prospect Creek, AK
Talk about a Hobson's choice: The hottest place in the country and the coldest one.

I've said that I prefer cold places to hot ones because "you can always put on more layers, but there are only so many you can take off," but I'm not sure that there are enough layers I could add to withstand -80F. 134F in a dry climate is probably more tolerable as a result. Just hope my ice maker and air conditioning are working. Furnace Creek in this case.

Sticking in this vein, after a fashion:

Minneapolis or Houston?

Old 01-26-2022, 03:56 PM

6,431 posts, read 5,079,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Minneapolis or Houston?
Honestly right now I'd take Houston. The Twin Cities are great but they're too similar to places I've already lived (especially where I am right now), and the smaller cities and towns in TX interest me.

Grand Island, NE or Minden, LA?

Old 01-26-2022, 05:24 PM

9,718 posts, read 9,477,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
Honestly right now I'd take Houston. The Twin Cities are great but they're too similar to places I've already lived (especially where I am right now), and the smaller cities and towns in TX interest me.

Grand Island, NE or Minden, LA?
Grand Island, NE because it is a nicer state and more agricultural things to do.

Newark, NJ or Hialeah, FL?

Old 01-26-2022, 07:17 PM

3,931 posts, read 2,243,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
Grand Island, NE because it is a nicer state and more agricultural things to do.

Newark, NJ or Hialeah, FL?
Neither but if I had to choose it'd be Hialeah. Boise or Salt Lake City?

Old 01-26-2022, 09:52 PM

912 posts, read 1,737,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brock2010 View Post
Neither but if I had to choose it'd be Hialeah. Boise or Salt Lake City?
SLC. More entertainment options.

Portland, ME or Wilmington, NC?

Old 01-28-2022, 07:33 AM

2,566 posts, read 2,900,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheYO View Post
SLC. More entertainment options.

Portland, ME or Wilmington, NC?
Wilmington... Portland is a better cultural fit for me, but I like Wilmington for its warmer weather and beach access.

Broken Bow, NE or Broken Bow, OK?

Old 01-28-2022, 11:01 AM

3,495 posts, read 3,417,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyExpert View Post
Wilmington... Portland is a better cultural fit for me, but I like Wilmington for its warmer weather and beach access.

Broken Bow, NE or Broken Bow, OK?
I was all but ready to pick the one in Oklahoma(being not far from lakes, the hills of the Ozarks, and Texarkana), but honestly I don't think I could deal with how bad I see the crime is there per what was reported on its City Data profile. But I could probably deal with the one in Nebraska, since at least it isn't far from Kearney. And per its C-D profile, it's crime is much below the national average. That said I would NOT be enthusiastic about living in either town, due to how far away they are from a bigger city.

Now a comparison where the places aren't so rural, and to me this is more of an even matchup due to the places being bigger, and similarly sized: Fort Wayne, IN, or Lafayette, IN?

Old 01-28-2022, 11:10 AM

9,718 posts, read 9,477,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonySegaTendo617 View Post
I was all but ready to pick the one in Oklahoma(being not far from lakes, the hills of the Ozarks, and Texarkana), but honestly I don't think I could deal with how bad I see the crime is there per what was reported on its City Data profile. But I could probably deal with the one in Nebraska, since at least it isn't far from Kearney. And per its C-D profile, it's crime is much below the national average. That said I would NOT be enthusiastic about living in either town, due to how far away they are from a bigger city.

Now a comparison where the places aren't so rural, and to me this is more of an even matchup due to the places being bigger, and similarly sized: Fort Wayne, IN, or Lafayette, IN?
Ft. Wayne for sure. It has a better downtown and bigger city feeling. I am more familiar with Lafayette and was not impressed. Purdue in West Lafayette was nice, however.

Lexington, KY or Tulsa, OK?

Old 01-28-2022, 11:11 AM

4 posts, read 5,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonySegaTendo617 View Post

Fort Wayne has more to do and is probably a bit safer.

Scottsbluff, NE or Dickinson, ND?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City