Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2019, 12:55 PM

9,736 posts, read 9,517,712 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdLover27 View Post
I'll say Ashland. I think many areas of Arizona are beautiful, but Sedona isn't quite my cup of tea, and it seems a bit too touristy as well. Ashland looks beautiful and the climate is more agreeable as well.

Knoxville, TN or Huntsville, AL?
Huntsville for sure. A much nicer town than either Knoxville or Chattanooga. The city is seeing major commercial growth. Huntsville will likely pass Birmingham in city population in a few more years. The housing is affordable and jobs are white collar.

Charlotte, NC or Cleveland, OH?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2019, 01:31 PM

4,865 posts, read 4,208,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
Huntsville for sure. A much nicer town than either Knoxville or Chattanooga. The city is seeing major commercial growth. Huntsville will likely pass Birmingham in city population in a few more years. The housing is affordable and jobs are white collar.

Charlotte, NC or Cleveland, OH?
Cleveland. I'm not a southerner.

Traverse City, MI or Asheville, NC?

Old 10-15-2019, 01:48 PM

256 posts, read 154,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
Cleveland. I'm not a southerner.

Traverse City, MI or Asheville, NC?
Asheville. Just a few hours away from friends in TN, and I love that mountainous region as a whole. I don't feel like I would enjoy the whole "artsy, liberal" vibe, but I imagine I could find something to do.

Richmond, KY or Bristol, TN?

Old 10-16-2019, 04:23 AM

6,772 posts, read 4,582,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdLover27 View Post
Asheville. Just a few hours away from friends in TN, and I love that mountainous region as a whole. I don't feel like I would enjoy the whole "artsy, liberal" vibe, but I imagine I could find something to do.

Richmond, KY or Bristol, TN?
Bristol. Love that area of the Appalachians.

Raleigh, NC or Albuquerque, NM?

Old 10-16-2019, 05:20 AM

10,782 posts, read 23,949,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by march2 View Post

Tough choice for me as I've already lived in Albuquerque for seven years having left earlier this year, and I have strong family ties to Raleigh. As cities and the way they are both laid out, neither really have an urban feel, and are more suburban and spread out than I really care for. Raleigh has a pretty week downtown for its size, feels pretty much like a government town. It's not a very interesting area to visit. I definitely prefer the scenery and natural attractions that surround Albuquerque, and overall would prefer living out West over the South.

However, I like NC's natural attractions on its coast and mountain areas, but Raleigh is in a fairly dull area topographically, just trees and some fairly rolling terrain of the piedmont. That said, thinking this through and based on my seven years in ABQ, one thing that bothered is how distant ABQ is to other cities, as much as I liked the wide open spaces, the isolation did get to me at times. Raleigh is a lot less isolated and I need to be closer to family on the eastern side of the country and Raleigh is close enough to the coast that I could probably handle living there now and would prefer its location over Albuquerque at this point. My pick is Raleigh.

Buffalo, NY or Corpus Christi, TX?

Old 10-16-2019, 05:24 AM

1,818 posts, read 1,982,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by march2 View Post

Albuquerque. In a much more unique state, less humid, better Mexican food, more interesting scenery (including the southern end of the Rockies) and surprisingly cheap given its potential. Underrated and easily could be the next Denver as that metro becomes expensive and people from AZ and TX move to have less sizzling summers. I'm in central MD and don't live far from a Harris Teeter, Food Lion, baptist church, and Chick-Fil-A, so why move to NC when I already have those things plus more, and instead have the opportunity to expand my horizons more out west?

Oops, some one beat me to the last post (though I have a differing opinion to the one, and I'm not afraid of flying). That said, I'll pick Buffalo for the one above. I have a thing for rust belt cities; lots of untouched history with a good value, and Buffalo is close to a lot of other interesting places, including NY's wine country and of course, Niagara Falls as well as Ontario's Golden Horseshoe. Corpus Christi is too humid and summers there go on seemingly FOREVER and only something I'd visit in the colder months to escape Buffalo's winters, which while long, can be more relaxing, and I could easily live on the north side that is nicer and gets less lake effect snow.

Bay Ridge, NY or Hawthorne, CA?

Old 10-16-2019, 05:26 AM

2,573 posts, read 2,915,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_SW_77 View Post
Tough choice for me as I've already lived in Albuquerque for seven years having left earlier this year, and I have strong family ties to Raleigh. As cities and the way they are both laid out, neither really have an urban feel, and are more suburban and spread out than I really care for. Raleigh has a pretty week downtown for its size, feels pretty much like a government town. It's not a very interesting area to visit. I definitely prefer the scenery and natural attractions that surround Albuquerque, and overall would prefer living out West over the South.

However, I like NC's natural attractions on its coast and mountain areas, but Raleigh is in a fairly dull area topographically, just trees and some fairly rolling terrain of the piedmont. That said, thinking this through and based on my seven years in ABQ, one thing that bothered is how distant ABQ is to other cities, as much as I liked the wide open spaces, the isolation did get to me at times. Raleigh is a lot less isolated and I need to be closer to family on the eastern side of the country and Raleigh is close enough to the coast that I could probably handle living there now and would prefer its location over Albuquerque at this point. My pick is Raleigh.

Buffalo, NY or Corpus Christi, TX?
Buffalo... the winters would be a drag, but it blows Corpus Christi out of the water in terms of culture and amenities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borntoolate85 View Post
Albuquerque. In a much more unique state, less humid, better Mexican food, more interesting scenery (including the southern end of the Rockies) and surprisingly cheap given its potential. Underrated and easily could be the next Denver as that metro becomes expensive and people from AZ and TX move to have less sizzling summers. I'm in central MD and don't live far from a Harris Teeter, Food Lion, baptist church, and Chick-Fil-A, so why move to NC when I already have those things plus more, and instead have the opportunity to expand my horizons more out west?

Bay Ridge, NY or Hawthorne, CA?
Bay Ridge... Choosing this mostly out of familiarity as I've been there many times but I know it's a very family friendly Brooklyn neighborhood that I could probably afford a co-op/condo in and Hawthorne isn't in the most desirable part of LA but still quite expensive.

Washington, DC or Denver, CO?

Old 10-16-2019, 07:07 AM

6,772 posts, read 4,582,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyExpert View Post
Buffalo... the winters would be a drag, but it blows Corpus Christi out of the water in terms of culture and amenities.

Bay Ridge... Choosing this mostly out of familiarity as I've been there many times but I know it's a very family friendly Brooklyn neighborhood that I could probably afford a co-op/condo in and Hawthorne isn't in the most desirable part of LA but still quite expensive.

Washington, DC or Denver, CO?
DC. Before Denver got so expensive, they might have had the edge. But since their COL is closer to DC's now, Washington is close to mountains AND ocean and is much less isolated.

Milwaukee, WI or Charlotte, NC?

Old 10-16-2019, 09:23 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,468,491 times
Charlotte cuz its in the South

Fredericksburg, Texas or Ruidoso, New Mexico?

Old 10-16-2019, 09:46 PM

256 posts, read 154,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C24L View Post
Charlotte cuz its in the South

Fredericksburg, Texas or Ruidoso, New Mexico?
As beautiful as Ruidoso looks, I'd have to pick Fredericksburg. I imagine I'd like the state better. I could make day trips to Austin too.

Richmond, VA or Louisville, KY?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City