Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is the most-powerful, culturally-significant, world-class city??
Montréal 17 14.91%
Toronto 20 17.54%
Chicago 77 67.54%
Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2016, 05:29 PM

1,636 posts, read 2,142,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by manitopiaaa View Post
Who the hell is John Candy? And how is he equal to the Skyscraper, Barack Obama, Blues, McDonalds or Ernest Hemingway? Not to mention the Chicago School of Economics, The Frank Lloyd Wright School of Architecture or the 90 Nobel Prizes from Chicagoans?

And nobody outside of Canada eats poutine.
A lot of people in Michigan eat it. Just saying....

Tim Horton's is pretty popular here too.

Old 11-13-2016, 05:31 PM

153 posts, read 164,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjun18 View Post
His username and join date seem pretty 'troll-ish' (if you know what I mean).

Facts are posted that indicate Chicago and the state of Illinois' decline, but if they are not what certain posters want to hear, then they are not happy.

There are several upon several threads with high participation in the Chicago & Illinois forums that were pointed out to me which range from people saying they are leaving Chicago/Illinois, complaining about the crime, property taxes, segregation, population decline, and so on. It's a reality that people up in here try to ignore.
Again I saw the same two posters do all this total slander to San Francisco. I was floored how bad that thread got.

I had enough tried my best here in this thread. YOU 2 WIN. Marothesu ID did the same I totally agree with him. A awesome poster. Check his Great post reviews. Much better then others . All have a great night. I certainly will avoid any thread with vs. Toronto. Enjoyed defending Chicago though. Too many other threads to enjoy but keeping my post few. So much better for sure.

Old 11-13-2016, 06:11 PM

1,635 posts, read 2,712,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Republic of Michigan View Post
A lot of people in Michigan eat it. Just saying....

Tim Horton's is pretty popular here too.
I didn't know Timmys was in Michigan??? Interesting...

I know there are locations in New York state and parts of Ohio....But didn't know they were in Michigan as well.

Old 11-13-2016, 06:27 PM

2,272 posts, read 2,220,070 times
Quote:

I know there are locations in New York state and parts of Ohio....But didn't know they were in Michigan as well.
Can confirm that we have them as far South as NYC! I know of 1 in Manhattan and 1 in Queens.

Old 11-13-2016, 07:06 PM

1,636 posts, read 2,142,461 times
Quote:

They are scattered all over Metro Detroit around 30 or so. Don't forget that the Detroit area consists of Canada also. I didn't even count those which are on the Canadian side of the border but I think there are at least 20 of them just in Windsor.

Old 11-13-2016, 07:41 PM

615 posts, read 599,772 times
I think the problem with Chicago in the United States market is that there is nothing it can do that other cities don't already do better.

You want finance? That's NYC.

You want media and culture? That's Los Angeles.

You want tech? That's SF and Seattle.

You want energy? That's Houston.

You want politics? That's DC.

You want manufacturing? That's Detroit.

You want tourism? That's Miami.

Chicago's forte used to be the railroads and industrial processing, and with those gone it has kind of lost its purpose in the United States.

Before the Chicago fanboys attack me, this is just an observation and could very well be ignorant. Feel free to provide insight.

Old 11-13-2016, 07:58 PM

4,675 posts, read 7,401,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Burns View Post
I think the problem with Chicago in the United States market is that there is nothing it can do that other cities don't already do better.

You want finance? That's NYC.

You want media and culture? That's Los Angeles.

You want tech? That's SF and Seattle.

You want energy? That's Houston.

You want politics? That's DC.

You want manufacturing? That's Detroit.

You want tourism? That's Miami.

Chicago's forte used to be the railroads and industrial processing, and with those gone it has kind of lost its purpose in the United States.

Before the Chicago fanboys attack me, this is just an observation and could very well be ignorant. Feel free to provide insight.
LA and Chicago areas are the two largest manufacturing hubs in the U.S. (not Detroit). Chicago is the center of worldwide agricultural trading. Chicago is still the leading railroad hub of the U.S. But of course none of this is germane to the original post.

Old 11-13-2016, 08:29 PM

1,462 posts, read 1,428,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Burns View Post
I don't know what drugs you're on but I never said that.

NYC and London are Alpha++
Toronto is Alpha.

Not sure how pointing that out to you is saying I think they're equal. Quite the opposite. You're the one who wanted to call them all alpha cities. I'm saying there is a distinction.
yes.A plus+ and a minus-.Thats the distinction.They are all STILL Alpha cities.So are London and NYC not Alpha cities because they are Alpha++.?
You are trying to make an issue where its really not as Alpha cities all share the same traits.The + and ++ and Alpha cities differ as they vary in how much of those traits they have.

I never said there was not a distinction but that does not change the fact tht they are allat various degrees Alpha.The Distinction between Alpha and Alpha- is not that great of a distinction as Alpha ++ is to Alpha so your point is SO irrelevant.

Old 11-13-2016, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Of course. No city is perfect. Stop trying to change the subject though and act as if someone said other cities don't face issues. No one said that.
This thread is about Chicago, Toronto and Montreal. And Chicago's is clearly in decline compared to Toronto. I don't see why that statement makes you so emotional when it's nothing but the truth.

Violence in Chicago: A Special Edition of

That's because L.A. clearly does well in several other areas, hence why the city just passed 4 million mark in population. The City of Los Angeles Surpasses the 4 Million Population Mark | L.A. Weekly

They are clearly doing some things right. Chicago on the other hand is going a bit in the wrong direction.

True. But we can't magically change Houstons city boundaries. The city is the way it is.

^My replies are in bold.
Dude its well documented Chicago's corruption but YOU are the one that has tried make it an issue its not.
Toronto police department is in chaos.

Are delusional?Do you think Chicago is not building hiuge projects?You are the one stretching the truth and lying talking about neighborhoods declining when in rality those neighbohoods were never that great. ALl the easy articles you can find listing several Chicago neighborhoods gentrifying and you want to act like they dont exist JUST because you Toronto posters have a complex of some sort about Chicago for some wierd obsession.

You go in to the Chicago forums you'd be hard pressed to here anybody talking about Toronto the way you guys have so many threads comparing Chicago or beating up on Chicago.Jesus Christ is so strange your desire to TRY and one up Chicago!It really bewilders me.

Hee are some more ranking with Chicago and no Toronto
Top 10 cities for finance of the world - Telegraph

I know you have only crime and population loss to try to make an argument for why you wrongly thought Toronto and Chicgo are on the same level because the extreme economic numbers blow Toronto out of the water.
Much Lower Gdp Than Chicago
*Less Jobs than Chicago
*Generally smaller industrial output
*Less industrial sectors
*More construction projects in Chicago.
Yet you still want to have us belive that Chicago is in "decline">bye Felicia

But before I go:

Quote:
For any Chicagoan stepping foot outside their apartment recently, it's obvious that we're pretty far removed for our Big Short recession slump as major construction is booming again. Cranes are as familiar a sight in River North as designer pooches and $14 cocktails. With so many major developments going on all over the city it’s clear some parts of our beloved Chicago are going to look very different in just a few years.
https://www.thrillist.com/lifestyle/...around-chicago

Quote:
The tallest building will surpass the Aon Center as the third largest in the city and set a new standard for the Lakeshore East neighborhood. With Wanda Vista and 113 East Roosevelt, Chicago has finally gotten back in the business of building world-class architecture.
Quote:
Northerly Island was the sight of Meigs Field airport until 2003
Quote:
In its place we will get Northerly Island park, which opened its first 40-acre section last year. Several more phases will be opened to the public in the coming years, with a central lagoon (replacing the larger one in the renderings) and eco-conscious design featuring native Illinois plants meant to encourage wildlife to settle there. While the full growth won’t be complete for decades, the full park should be accessible soon and will bring another tract of green space to Chicago’s lakefront.
And the "decay" you saw in Lincoln Park was not decay but redevelopment.
http://chicago.curbed.com/2016/2/15/...se-on-cmh-site

Here is more evidence of what you think is "decline"
http://chicago.curbed.com/2016/11/10...nzeville-opens

And contrary to what you may think,they are putting money into public transpotation as noted here
CTA Wilson station rehab moves into next phase - Chicago Tribune

Old 11-13-2016, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UScityUrbanCores View Post

You and one other certainly Turned the thread to a battle by posting ALL negatives you could find on a internet search on Chicago's issues. Others merely DEFEND with recent Stats, Charts, and Links. But you kept the negative Anti-Chicago rhetoric coming. Your out is its freely in the news and on the internet. But you do realize you are really taking it to extreme in all these post that keep coming by you.

**But since you say you visit annually more then once. Especially if in the summer? What exactly is ALL THE DECLINES You personally saw and if you saw.
  1. no new construction around like infill and new skyscrapers especially in the cities core?
  2. Failing infrastructure in numerous ways you can specify?
  3. a totally inadequate and antiquated transit system, elevated trains to buses
  4. expressways crumbling?
  5. unclean streets in neighborhoods or downtown?
  6. see closed businesses in numerous areas you visited?
  7. no nightlife/restaurant scene at least comparable to Toronto or the other major US cities?
  8. did you drive to or fly into the city?
  9. take the elevated/subway from the airport or drive to the destination, downtown or staying with someone?
We know the Chicago has no Trams or Trolley system. Its propane run buses with no fumes. I'm personally not fond of seeing over-head trolley wires. See a lot of that in Philly.
**But Tell us your firsthand impressions on the city. Let's get off this negative Stats and Links posting. You know it is infuriating and over-done already by two of you. Tell us if,
  1. you ventured into some neighborhoods?
  2. was it mainly downtown or other areas?
  3. did you venture into gentrified areas? Or the bungalow-belt as 1/3 of the city or areas south in decline?
  4. was it a few days or just for business and back home?
Though many areas look pretty good even with lost housing in the southern areas. Most blight was removed, though these areas generally lack retail and the gangland crime is high. American big cities will have these areas.

No Chicago defender denied these issues. Sorry but to continually post all them post so negative . It's A bit overboard to say the least.
I've read how some Torontonians don't appreciate any negatives or things in the news on perceptions mentioned and links used. Also reality of all that glitters is not just glass High-rises and Skyscrapers (rather then use gold). Especially posted in the Toronto forum too, even by other locals in critique of Toronto. Most times the staunch Toronto homers, just discount and far lessen any of them.

It's many staunch Toronto homers. Who promote Toronto as glittering like gold literally and rising fast OVER AMERICAN CITIES. But really time to compare to Asian cities as Hong Kong, Shanghai, Tokyo, Sydney and Jakarta? For amount of high-rise living.

Makes me wonder? What exactly is This "lofty place" Chicago has and is declining from? NYC surpassed it a century ago and LA metro population many decades ago already too.

We surely know our Sunbelt and large Costal cities have more in some Stats.

One surely can say US sunbelt cities like Houston and Atlanta can boast a rising population and GDP. But most C-D posters clearly showed in a thread of Houston surpassing Chicago in a few years to decade. Clearly denoted areas Chicago IS NOT IN DECLINE IN and a built environment Houston and Downtown are perhaps decades away if ever. Chicago overcame much adversity in its history I addressed already. Al Capone era to 60s70s radical racial change and blight. No one can take the history of American Architecture in its built environment and its earliest to newest skyscrapers show.

It is really the post after post with Links off the internet 2 Torontonians used to lessen Chicago with declines to no way out of going down a sewer. You need 2 hands of fingers+ to count them post after post of demeaning that were far from just trying to show all that glitters is not gold in Chi-Town. Honestly it really became way over the top. Some of us felt provoked to say what we shouldn't have.

As always. Great Post and my sentiments also. Still my favorite Big city I visit yearly. We surely know all is not Gold glittering.

No one is denying this to Toronto. No Racial issues as the States and Chicago. You just deny Chicago can have some virtues to speak of yet. Others address or give CURRENT STATS of.

It is like again what you guys did in a Toronto vs. San Francisco thread. Full Frontal, take no prisoners, go for their jugular like here.

They all have a piece of the pie. What SF metro stands out on with Silicone Valley. LA can't touch. But still not about population rise, now is it?
Yes what I see is the most illogical behavior I have ever seen on CD.In the real world no one that knows anything about anything would say Chicago is in decline as if it was Detroit.Lets be clear thats exatcly what the poster was eluding too.

Quote:
There truly is an extraordinary number of cranes in the air above downtown Chicago. Currently, 33 are busy constructing high-rise buildings, the largest number since the 2008 recession brought development to a halt
Number of cranes at work in Chicago hits 8-year high - Chicago Tribune
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City