Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2022, 09:23 PM

3,454 posts, read 3,380,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
Does the Southside of Chicago have a skyline? I'm going with the Bronx here due to familiarity. The Bronx has several towers in the 300-400 foot range, and has a new skyline emerging in the south Bronx, closest to Manhattan. There are actual luxury apartment towers going up now/have gone up in the past year-ish.

https://nypost.com/2022/03/10/new-lu...-to-the-bronx/

Bronx for me.

Hartford, CT vs Rochester, NY?
As far as south side Chicago neighborhoods go, there is a small skyline with the Hyde Park neighborhood. You know, where University of Chicago is located, and which probably helps as to how it has a few attractive buildings. Same with in nearby South Shore, though that more has a few residential highrises. That said, I'd give this to the Bronx, for having more overall.

For the current one, I'll pick El Paso. Since for THAT Springfield, nothing is too rememberable about that one except for an older bridge I see in pics. And I like how the nearby mountains to El Paso, add to the skyline photos I see of El Paso.

Portland, ME, or Wilmington, DE?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2022, 01:26 PM

765 posts, read 899,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonySegaTendo617 View Post
As far as south side Chicago neighborhoods go, there is a small skyline with the Hyde Park neighborhood. You know, where University of Chicago is located, and which probably helps as to how it has a few attractive buildings. Same with in nearby South Shore, though that more has a few residential highrises. That said, I'd give this to the Bronx, for having more overall.

For the current one, I'll pick El Paso. Since for THAT Springfield, nothing is too rememberable about that one except for an older bridge I see in pics. And I like how the nearby mountains to El Paso, add to the skyline photos I see of El Paso.

Portland, ME, or Wilmington, DE?
I'm going with Portland Maine. It's very unique and charming. Old with character on the ocean. I will say I'm surprised by Wilmington! It looks very intact and like a decent place to live. Seems to be flying under the radar.

Tacoma, Wa

or

Boise, ID

Old 08-03-2022, 10:51 PM

3,892 posts, read 2,205,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blaserbrad View Post
I'm going with Portland Maine. It's very unique and charming. Old with character on the ocean. I will say I'm surprised by Wilmington! It looks very intact and like a decent place to live. Seems to be flying under the radar.

Tacoma, Wa

or

Boise, ID
I like Tacoma's better. Looks a little more filled in. San Jose CA or Tucson AZ?

Old 08-04-2022, 02:31 PM

9,684 posts, read 9,406,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brock2010 View Post
I like Tacoma's better. Looks a little more filled in. San Jose CA or Tucson AZ?
Tucson looks better. San Jose does not have that much variety or height.

Columbia, SC or Syracuse, NY?

Old 08-06-2022, 07:31 AM

10,072 posts, read 14,453,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
Tucson looks better. San Jose does not have that much variety or height.

Columbia, SC or Syracuse, NY?
I like Columbia's just a bit better overall. Columbia also has more growth potential.

Birmingham, AL or Little Rock, AR?

Old 08-06-2022, 12:28 PM

Quote:
I like Columbia's just a bit better overall. Columbia also has more growth potential.

Birmingham, AL or Little Rock, AR?
Birmingham looks more dense and taller buildings. New Orleans or Baltimore?

Old 08-06-2022, 10:47 PM

9,684 posts, read 9,406,200 times
Quote:
Birmingham looks more dense and taller buildings. New Orleans or Baltimore?
New Orleans by a smidge. The city looks more complete and tall. I like the way the city dominates its surroundings while Baltimore kind of fades in terms of its surroundings.

Boise, ID or Mobile, AL?

Old 08-07-2022, 12:37 PM

10,072 posts, read 14,453,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
New Orleans by a smidge. The city looks more complete and tall. I like the way the city dominates its surroundings while Baltimore kind of fades in terms of its surroundings.

Boise, ID or Mobile, AL?
Mobile has a more dynamic presence, with a couple of very tall buildings for its city's size. Boise has a much smaller, but slowly growing skyline.

I prefer Boise's, against the mountains and more compact and lower rising. Mobile's has potential, but the one skyscraper so much taller than anything else around it, sort of makes the skyline corny looking-like a tourist attraction.

New Haven, CT or Knoxville, TN?

Old 08-10-2022, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Mobile has a more dynamic presence, with a couple of very tall buildings for its city's size. Boise has a much smaller, but slowly growing skyline.

I prefer Boise's, against the mountains and more compact and lower rising. Mobile's has potential, but the one skyscraper so much taller than anything else around it, sort of makes the skyline corny looking-like a tourist attraction.

New Haven, CT or Knoxville, TN?
I like New Haven's better. Looks like there are more buildings and it's taller. Augusta GA or Columbus GA?

Old 08-13-2022, 05:48 PM

3,454 posts, read 3,380,510 times
Quote:
I like New Haven's better. Looks like there are more buildings and it's taller. Augusta GA or Columbus GA?
This was a HARD one to think about, since neither city has the most substantial skyline. And I wish both looked a little more dense.

After some thinking, I went with Augusta. While it's tallest building is one floor shorter than Columbus' tallest building(AFLAC building), I like the better density I see with Augusta's downtown. Although I like the warehouses turned into apartments I see in Columbus, I think the buildings are a tad more interesting in Augusta. This all said, I HATE that ugly 1970s rooftop addition to the Lamar Building in Augusta. This building looked better, before the addition.

Two cities with early 20th century art deco capitol buildings: Baton Rouge, LA, or Lincoln, NE?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City