Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2021, 12:58 PM

9,698 posts, read 9,446,732 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
I'm gonna go with Portland here. Better visual setting with the mountains and green. I like Portland's density too. Ft Lauderdale is growing, but doesn't have the visual setting to match.

Raleigh, NC or Memphis, TN?
Raleigh due to the growth of its skyline. I like the architecture better. Memphis has not changed in years.

Oakland, CA or Kansas City, MO?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2021, 06:43 PM

3,481 posts, read 3,403,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
Raleigh due to the growth of its skyline. I like the architecture better. Memphis has not changed in years.

Oakland, CA or Kansas City, MO?
I personally like KC better, so I'll go with that. Oakland isn't bad, but honestly I like KC's mix of buildings from various eras myself. And to me, KC has more of that going on overall in its downtown core vs. Oakland. And when I looked at various pics of its downtown, I didn't see a lot of vacant land spaces, which surprised me.

Long Beach, CA, or Tacoma, WA?

Old 11-09-2021, 09:29 PM

374 posts, read 259,290 times
These are two cities that I honestly keep forgetting both have skylines. Tacoma seems more dense with a better setting but Long Beach has nicer looking architecture along a very pleasant riverfront I think so I'm gonna go with Long Beach.

Colorado Springs, CO or Boise, ID?

Old 11-10-2021, 10:25 AM

3,916 posts, read 2,229,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenith32 View Post
These are two cities that I honestly keep forgetting both have skylines. Tacoma seems more dense with a better setting but Long Beach has nicer looking architecture along a very pleasant riverfront I think so I'm gonna go with Long Beach.

Colorado Springs, CO or Boise, ID?
Boise. Less gaps. Battle of the Bay: Oakland or San Jose?

Old 11-10-2021, 12:23 PM

10,098 posts, read 14,507,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brock2010 View Post
Boise. Less gaps. Battle of the Bay: Oakland or San Jose?
Oakland all the way. San Jose has one of those "Washington DC" zoned skylines, where the max height is what, maybe 16, 18 stories?

Good for density, but results in a barely visible skyline from afar.

Knoxville, TN or Grand Rapids, MI?

Old 11-10-2021, 12:46 PM

466 posts, read 356,824 times
Quote:
Oakland all the way. San Jose has one of those "Washington DC" zoned skylines, where the max height is what, maybe 16, 18 stories?

Good for density, but results in a barely visible skyline from afar.

Knoxville, TN or Grand Rapids, MI?
Grand Rapids, taller, more expansive, more filled out, and more impressive from the freeway IMO.

Toledo OH or Dayton OH?

Old 11-10-2021, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landolakes90 View Post
Grand Rapids, taller, more expansive, more filled out, and more impressive from the freeway IMO.

Toledo OH or Dayton OH?
Dayton wins for me. More impressive architecture and cleaner looking downtown.

Denver, CO or Austin, TX?

Old 11-10-2021, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Dayton wins for me. More impressive architecture and cleaner looking downtown.

Denver, CO or Austin, TX?
Denver definitely wins this match-up for me. Denver has the spectacular rocky mountains as its backdrop, if viewed heading west.

Plus, the density and variety of skyscrapers downtown is nicely uniform, with the ideal height ranges in variance.

Austin is starting to look more and more like "the Miami of Texas" with its skyscrapers. I like those sparingly, but not for an entire skyline.

Austin, TX or Charlotte, NC?

Old 11-10-2021, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Denver definitely wins this match-up for me. Denver has the spectacular rocky mountains as its backdrop, if viewed heading west.

Plus, the density and variety of skyscrapers downtown is nicely uniform, with the ideal height ranges in variance.

Austin is starting to look more and more like "the Miami of Texas" with its skyscrapers. I like those sparingly, but not for an entire skyline.

Austin, TX or Charlotte, NC?
Close call. Charlotte still wins due to having better architecture, balance, and better angles.

Charlotte, NC or St. Louis, MO?

Old 11-11-2021, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Close call. Charlotte still wins due to having better architecture, balance, and better angles.

Charlotte, NC or St. Louis, MO?
Easily Charlotte. Charlotte has one of the best skylines for me, in the country, at least right now. Good density, height and aesthetics.

St Louis is just underwhelming beyond the arch, and needs much more density and height, for its size and city legacy. It can't just rely on the arch.

Anchorage, AK or Wilmington, DE?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City