Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Mega City Skyline is your favorite?
Chicago 149 41.39%
New York 211 58.61%
Voters: 360. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2009, 09:24 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,239,989 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libohove90 View Post
Appreciate both cities...two great cities in the US. When I was in greece, everytime I heard the word "New York"...I felt a huge sense of American pride swell over my body. The words "New York" has never sounded so powerful to me since I was far from the American shores.

Since Chicago has a large Greek population as well, I hear the word "Chicago" too. It too, has never sounded so powerful to me. Chicago does everything big (NY too)...big business, big industry, big skyline, big skyscrapers etc.

What I found out overseas is that New York is almost always the first American city people think of. Chicago, interestingly, has a more dominant international reputation than national reputation. In America, Chicago is not THAT popular...we always hear New York, LA, Washington DC, and hell even Miami. But on the international level, Chicago is so much more prominent. People KNOW Chicago is one of America's largest and premiere cities, and it also represents (to a lesser extent of NY) American power.

Appreciate both cities. I love them both. I live in Philly...I visit NY all the time and never get tired of it. I wish I can visit Chicago more...it is more unknown but thats what makes it more interesting to me.
Two great posts in a row very well done! Rate up for sure.

Old 03-27-2009, 09:24 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,500,336 times
Hrrmmm I've traveled abroad while living in Chicago and actually worked at the IVCC, hosted plenty of international travelers... found not many people know about it... people tend to know about San Fran(all the counter culture/hippy stuff), LA (HOLLYWOOD), WASHINGTON DC(POWER), MIAMI(so many vacationers), and NYC(everything)... not much else.

Old 03-27-2009, 09:26 PM

734 posts, read 2,053,180 times
They'll know a lot about Chicago in Greece because of the high Greek population in Chicago. Same with Poland and many of the Baltic states. In Argentina or something? Not so much.

Old 03-28-2009, 08:09 AM

1,624 posts, read 3,290,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLake View Post
Globally-- I find (and have heard) Chicago is not as well known to the foreign masses. It's a big city, but the "shadowing" effect is more pronounced and acute. It's not the number one city (NY), it's not a media fixture/movies (LA), it's not the warm, tropical vacation spot (Miami), it's not Disney, and it's not the political center (DC). It's perceived as a large manufacturing --and increasingly as a financial/risk/professional services center anf tourist locale-- that still has a layaway sign for Capone (hard to fathom) and somewhat Jordan. I'm assuming there's a resurgence in knowledge about the city by virtue of Obama and the Olympics..
Well, the international perception is based on institutions located on both cities. Of course Chicago is famous abroad, it is the third largest city in the US however New York is perceived through Wall Street and Broadway.
Please keep in mind that those two institutions are regarded by many as leading not only nationally but globally in their respected areas. As much as you can find a copy of Wall Street Journal in any place of the world the same way Broadway is regarded as the paramount of theater art and almost all actors and directors around the world dream of working there. It s not the same with Chicago, there is no CBOT time with truly global circulation and Chicago theater is not really known or admired outside of the region.

This is has NOTHING to with the Skyline of course but relevant to the on-going Chicago vs. New York discussion.

Old 03-28-2009, 10:01 AM

464 posts, read 1,079,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dementor View Post
Well, the international perception is based on institutions located on both cities. Of course Chicago is famous abroad, it is the third largest city in the US however New York is perceived through Wall Street and Broadway.
Please keep in mind that those two institutions are regarded by many as leading not only nationally but globally in their respected areas. As much as you can find a copy of Wall Street Journal in any place of the world the same way Broadway is regarded as the paramount of theater art and almost all actors and directors around the world dream of working there. It s not the same with Chicago, there is no CBOT time with truly global circulation and Chicago theater is not really known or admired outside of the region.

This is has NOTHING to with the Skyline of course but relevant to the on-going Chicago vs. New York discussion.
...I love how you've changed your attitude from a pointless bashing one, to a somewhat responsible posting one! you have obviously never heard of Wicked if you think the Chicago theater isn't well known or admired. Since this is at least the second or third time that you've made the celebrities argument, shouldn't L.A be a better city than NYC? It is the filming capital of America (and maybe even the world).

In the times we are in now, I don't think many people are impressed with Wall Street. It has caused some of the worst times in History.

Old 03-28-2009, 11:32 AM

1,107 posts, read 3,020,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spire View Post
...I love how you've changed your attitude from a pointless bashing one, to a somewhat responsible posting one! you have obviously never heard of Wicked if you think the Chicago theater isn't well known or admired. Since this is at least the second or third time that you've made the celebrities argument, shouldn't L.A be a better city than NYC? It is the filming capital of America (and maybe even the world).

In the times we are in now, I don't think many people are impressed with Wall Street. It has caused some of the worst times in History.
You do know Wicked started on broadway?

Old 03-28-2009, 11:52 AM

1,060 posts, read 1,557,931 times
Why are we going down this path again? Talk about beating a dead horse, dementor.

Old 03-28-2009, 12:02 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,500,336 times
lmao @ wicked, that is BROADWAY.

Old 03-28-2009, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spire View Post

Spire,
I am glad you like it however I can still see you like to make those pompous statements based on wishful thinking rather than knowledge or facts. Wicked? You mean the show being touted is part of the "Broadway in Chicago" experience? Why is it significant?

As far as celebrities, yes, I believe Hollywood must be a great place to live as celebrities and other affluent people very seldom chose terrible places to settle down. Is it better then NY? It's a matter of taste.
Wall Street? Even if you are naive enough to believe that it is single-handedly responsible for the current economic fiasco happening you have to acknowledge it is still cponsidered a major financial center.
I honestly do not think that there are many institutions of American life recognized abroad as much as Broadway and Wall Street. Admittedly Hollywood in CA too but there is nothing like that in Chicago that comes to mind.

Last edited by dementor; 03-28-2009 at 12:56 PM..

Old 03-28-2009, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityGuy View Post
You do know Wicked started on broadway?
Not only started on Broadway but Wicked is simply a part of an ongoing effort to bring some long running and nearing end of life shows to Chicago called "Broadway in Chicago". Few local theaters hosts those travelling production that stay in Chicago for some time before they move to other cities.
Of course, Chicagoans claim that this way they get pretty much the same shows as New York "forgetting" that first if all New York has 39 big professional stages, the shows move to Chicago after many years on Broadway and lack the casts and stars that made the original shows famous. See the link below. It clearly proves who is copying who....

Broadway in Chicago Show and Theatre Tickets
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City