Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is better?
New York City suburbs 57 49.14%
Chicagoland 59 50.86%
Voters: 116. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 03:46 PM

1,437 posts, read 3,073,582 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityGuy View Post
Buy movies, you dont have to return it and u dont have to worry about who had it before you. Since electronic stores or mostly any store that sells movies is more convient than blockbsters. Subway and Bus is $2. Pitty you if you cant afford a cab. Especially if you are not going too far. Just to show you how convient it is i used to live in harlem. in my reach my school was 2 blocks away Supermartket 2 blocks way. 15 or more fastfood chains and local resturaunts in a 2 to 3 block radius, park right across the street and anothe park 4 blocks away, subway station 2 blocks, bus sto 2 blocks away, a whole bunch of other stores in a 2-3 block radius, school right across the street, DMV 2 blocks away, car dealerships, 3-4 blocks away, etc My neighborhood seemed secluded and small. You know what i think it is is that people really lazy because i see a whole bunch of local resturaunts and stores and dont see alot of people in them all the time just probably the people who live on the same street or atleast in a 1 block radius.
DMV and Car dealerships? Whaaaaaaat? How how often is someone buying a car or going to the DMV? lol You're sorta reaching a little now. Plus, I'm not trying to say that there's NO convience at all in NYC, of course there is. But it ain't the ENTIRE city, far from it. It's hit and miss like alot of cities are.

DMV......lol lol lol

Old 02-16-2009, 03:48 PM

1,107 posts, read 3,022,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsteelerfan View Post
All Mannnhattan is, is a "downtown". The thing that makes it different than other city's, besides all the highrise buildings, is the amount of people that live in it. Would you consider living in "downtown" Chicago, more convient than a nabe like Lakeview or Edgewater, etc.

A great and convient 'city nabe', should have a 'real' grocery store, banks, coffee shops, bars, etc. Once you have to start hopping on trains or buses to get everyday items, I know longer consider it to be convient.

I LOVE the nabe of Edgewater in Chicago. It has everything that I listed, reasonable rents, and you can walk right to the lake. That nabe is WAY more convient than ANYTHING in Mannhattan.
Well in Manhattan most people eat out and sometimes we go out buy groceries. Not talkin about fastfood chains all the time but local resturaunts or bring food home from local resturaunts. Also we have stores that are like mini groceries too. Now just because we dont have lot fo groceries that doesnt make us less convient thats just bull. 1 thing big deal

New York's Most Walkable Neighborhoods - Walk Score Neighborhood Rankings
Chicago's Most Walkable Neighborhoods - Walk Score Neighborhood Rankings

Old 02-16-2009, 03:50 PM

Quote:
DMV and Car dealerships? Whaaaaaaat? How how often is someone buying a car or going to the DMV? lol You're sorta reaching a little now. Plus, I'm not trying to say that there's NO convience at all in NYC, of course there is. But it ain't the ENTIRE city, far from it. It's hit and miss like alot of cities are.

DMV......lol lol lol
i Know that but you did say manhattan is not the most.

Old 02-16-2009, 03:54 PM

Quote:
It doesnt matter becuase when you have the most extensive transportation system in the country and its up there with best in the world it should only take you a couple of minutes. It takes me only 20-30 minutes to get from midtown to north part of yonkers to my grandmothers house by car(not even speeding).
Whaaaaaaaat? Here again we go with the myths! Have you EVER heard about the "other half"? They're talking about the MAJORITY of NYC'ers who live in the outer boroughs (not Mannhattan). And let me tell you right now, being in parts of Queens or Brooklyn, the commutes into Mannhattan, especially to the Upper East or West sides, ain't no joke! There's people who HAVE to spend 2 hours a day or better on the subway. They do it cause they can't afford a car, or can't pay for the parking in Mannhattan. See, once you live in NYC, the 'mirage' evaporates, and you see the REALITY of life there.

There are people who live so-called 'charmed' lives there, but most don't. They struggle to make ends meet on a daily basis, and it's nothing more than a grind!

Old 02-16-2009, 03:55 PM

Quote:
i Know that but you did say manhattan is not the most.
It's not!

Old 02-16-2009, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Whaaaaaaaat? Here again we go with the myths! Have you EVER heard about the "other half"? They're talking about the MAJORITY of NYC'ers who live in the outer boroughs (not Mannhattan). And let me tell you right now, being in parts of Queens or Brooklyn, the commutes into Mannhattan, especially to the Upper East or West sides, ain't no joke! There's people who HAVE to spend 2 hours a day or better on the subway. They do it cause they can't afford a car, or can't pay for the parking in Mannhattan. See, once you live in NYC, the 'mirage' evaporates, and you see the REALITY of life there.

There are people who live so-called 'charmed' lives there, but most don't. They struggle to make ends meet on a daily basis, and it's nothing more than a grind!
Why do people assume that the person they talk is not one of those people. I know hot it is i was once homeless when i was younger. Im like living the pursuit of hapiness(sort of).

Old 02-16-2009, 04:17 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,942,478 times
My friend (who grew up in Chicago) came to visit NYC and Long Island recently. She was always comparing the 2, so it was interesting to me. We only spent a day on LI, but she did make some interesting comparisons. She mentioned how LI seems to have a lot more businesses and bigger buildings compared to Chicagloland, the Long island railroad was much bigger than Chicago's commuter rail (which is true--LIRR is the biggest commuter rail in the country), and the suburbs seem to go on much further. She said she would probably prefer LI to Chicagoland for what it offers.

Old 02-16-2009, 04:19 PM

1 posts, read 1,773,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
The Northshore suburbs of Chicago can hold their own against any in the Tri-State area, including the coastal CT ones.

To anyone that has not been there in person, you have no idea.
Is this a joke?

Really, is this a joke? I'm slightly curious to know which NYC suburbs you've been to, if you've even been in any.

Old 02-16-2009, 08:16 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,392,370 times
Quote:
I have to STRONGLY disagree with you. With the exception of a few suburbs like Evanston, Chicago burbs lack the charm and character that NYC's L.I. ones have. L.I. has so many neat little suburbs/towns that have great shopping/restaurants/bars. Where Chicago's are like 'anywhere America'. Way too many bland burbs in Chicago. The one's that border the 'city limits' in Chicago are the best ones. Alot of L.I. burbs actually have a 'pulse' to them, something you really won't find anywhere else.
I beg your pardon? If Chicagoland was "anywhere", I wouldnt have the strong desire to live here. There are over 300 suburbs in Chicagoland, most every one of them has a downtown core, most of which are thriving and bustling places. Here are just a smidgeon of pics that I have of Chicagoland. Youre seeing maybe 2% of the suburbs in these photos. MAYBE 2%...

Old 02-16-2009, 08:39 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,392,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
You make claims such as "better" and "more abundant" but what does that really mean? It means nothing without explanation.

The tri-state area is incredibly diverse. NYC has a bunch of satellite cities with their own suburbs (White Plains, Stamford, Danbury, Newark, New Haven - all self-sufficient satellite cities).

Chicagoland burbs are nice, but still lack much of the character that each tri-state area has. NJ has different character than CT which is different than LI and Westchester. Chains and stripmalls are not considered "nice" here, as they are elsewhere, like in many Chi-burbs.

I also think NYC burbs are much more white collar than Chicagoland areas, which makes them different. Doesn't make them better, just making a statement.
You and that Pittsburgh dude sound like youve never explored Chicagoland. Heres a hint: GET OFF THE HIGHWAYS EVERY ONCE IN A WHILE. Here are some more pics for you two ignorant folks.

Last edited by Steve-o; 02-16-2009 at 09:12 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.