Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2009, 05:38 AM

1,526 posts, read 1,211,444 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
for 2 years now.
For somebody who hated summer up north to begin with, this is driving me out of my mind. I can't imagine hating summer! Hibernate in the winters up North? WELL, YEAH! No, I didn't. I always went out. If I didn't have to go to work or the store - I wouldn't leave the house if it was under 40 degrees! Here you do hibernate and summer isn't just a couple of months either. It is running from AC work, to AC car, to AC home. And in the winter up north - you run from heated car, to heated home. You cannot spend a whole lot of time outside when the heat index is near or over 100 degrees in the middle of the day. True, but you also cannot spend a whole lot of time outside when it's very cold without having on layers upon layers of clothing. You want to go to the beach? We went one day last July when my daughter was visiting. The air temp was 95 degrees AT THE BEACH and the water temp was 89 degrees. I can understand how it can get too warm to do certain things, but it can do that in the north as well (granted, it's not as often). Pleasant? My daughter called it swimming in a hot tub. She said she wanted to go home to the AC and a COLD SHOWER.

It also does not rain, for months and months at a time. No wonder it's called the Sunshine State! It isn't even cloudy. Nothing but endless sun beating down on you. I don't know that I have ever complained about too many days of sunshine. I HAVE complained about too many days without it! I find myself sitting outside in the night just so I can have DARKNESS and no more sun. The few times when it is cloudy, or rainy, I run out just to be outside and not in the sun. Everything is the same year round. You cannot tell January from July. I am not saying that the four seasons are bad. And I can see where one month can look like another. I just hate that where I live you can't park on the streets over night from Nov 1st to April 1st for snow removal. Same trees, same, same, same. Nothing changes. Boring, boring, boring.

I visit my daughter in NY in the Fall and WINTER just to escape this place. When I was there last January, it was 9 degrees and snowing. I got up at 7 AM, layered up, and went outside in the snow for well over an hour. I was happier then than I have been the entire 2 years I have lived in Florida. I'm glad you liked it! It just is not for me!

We have about 4 or 5 years until we can retire. Goodbye, and good riddance to Florida. I will take the 4 seasons, including 9 degrees and snow any day, over 95 degrees with 95% humidity, nearly all year round.
I am like my mother in that when the "cold" hits in the midwest it seems to settle into your bones. The cold radiates from the inside- out. I just never seem to be able to really get warm again until spring. I also have SAD - so as soon as the crops start turning - my mood starts dropping! It's not so nice being depressed half the year! I can feel my mood improving finally since the grass is starting to get green in spots!
Just goes to show -- to each their own! What is good for one, may not be for another!
I hope your remaining time in Florida goes fast for you! And is a little more pleasant! We will eventually be moving further to the south to get away from the extreme cold!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2009, 07:22 PM

1,526 posts, read 1,211,444 times
TANaples --
Have you ever seen a horizontal snowfall? It happens a lot around here. Just another thing I don't really need to experience again....

Old 04-21-2009, 07:35 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,117,756 times
Again, Why would you want to live in Denver or anywhere in the upper midwest states? My point is why not live where people go on vacation then you don't have to travel far if you want to go to LA or SD or Miami. Why not enjoy year round of your life instead of just 5 months of "decent" weather?

Old 04-21-2009, 07:38 PM

6,041 posts, read 11,474,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
Again, Why would you want to live in Denver or anywhere in the upper midwest states? My point is why not live where people go on vacation then you don't have to travel far if you want to go to LA or SD or Miami. Why not enjoy year round of your life instead of just 5 months of "decent" weather?
This was a very good post, especially the part I highlighted.

Old 04-22-2009, 08:31 PM

1,576 posts, read 5,349,403 times
Living in Buffalo, yes, we get a lot of snow, but we happen to be the sunniest city in the northeast come summer. Not only that but enjoy warm, beautiful temps from mid-late spring, to mid Fall. My point is, is that we have four seasons, something not many other cities have. We don't have the best weather IMO, but we make the most of what we got. It makes life interesting when you get 100+ inches of snow a year, yet it makes life stop for a minute and gives you a chance to enjoy things both indoors and out. In the winter months, we enjoy fresh, crisp air and a frozen Great Lake to which, if you love hockey, hosts major tournaments (sometimes with many rinks across the downtown waterfront marina). We have some of the best ski and snowboarding areas so close to an urban area. The scenery is beautiful - it's romantic, quiet, and clean, to which beautifies the landscape to which you live in - especially when you live or work in downtown Buffalo. What's worse than a Christmas without snow? lol. Cold and snow is great to grow up in - growing up I enjoyed it a lot more than I do now, but I still look forward to the change in seasons. There are ice rinks downtown, plenty of outdoor festivals, and really the cold winter months brings this region in closer to eachother in the City of Good Neighbors. The shoveling of your neighbor's driveway, the warmth of the fireplace, the view out the window of fresh, large lake-effect snowflakes falling in glamorous fashion as if they were competing to be the prettiest, etc,etc... It's not for everyone, but you learn to deal with it, and it brings you close to the ones you love - your family, friends, relatives... The Winter Season gets tedious come February and March, but there is much to look forward to, as the lake unfreezes and eventually turns to very warm temps perfect for swimming in. This region of Western New York may not have the best weather for everyone, but before you bash it and say how crazy it is and about the people who live here, consider the amount the colder months have to offer, and enjoy it.

Buffalo in Winter:

See the beautiful ice! -

Winter is awesome. You have to get out there and appreciate it and don't be so lazy... Beauty, events, attractions, and many things to do make Winter livable and appealing to a lot of people. Just because someone likes warm weather all the time and hates cold, doesn't mean others don't appreciate it! Personally, I enjoy all four seasons, and winter is the most exciting!

Last edited by Buffalonian4life; 04-22-2009 at 09:07 PM..

Old 04-27-2009, 12:31 PM

I know what you mean however, I don't ice fish, ski, snowboard, ice skate so winter for me is like being in prison in Milwaukee in winter nearly everyday is very windy if there was no wind it would make a huge difference but it's always windy in winter.

Old 04-27-2009, 12:59 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,590,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
Why not enjoy year round of your life instead of just 5 months of "decent" weather?

This was a very good post, especially the part I highlighted.
For the weather-trumps-all crowd, this makes sense. For the rest of us, not so much.

Old 04-27-2009, 01:27 PM

But I believe there is a shift into the weather trumps all crowd, now I believe it's bigger than the rest of us!!!

Old 04-27-2009, 04:53 PM

2,781 posts, read 7,212,222 times
i kant baleev u hav teribl grammer

Old 04-27-2009, 05:52 PM

6,041 posts, read 11,474,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
For the weather-trumps-all crowd, this makes sense. For the rest of us, not so much.
I don't necessarily belong to the weather trumps all crowd. I believe that having weather you like is necessary to enjoy living somewhere. I also believe it is possible to find a city where you like the weather but you also like it in other ways.

Weather alone wouldn't be enough to make me move somewhere, but it would be enough to make me leave somewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City