Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 08:31 AM

8,289 posts, read 23,101,403 times

Advertisements

I can't believe for the life of me why people would want to live in the north. IE Twin Cities, Milwaukee, Detroit, Cleveland and so on. NY and CHI are such nice cities that winter doesn't matter or that you have so much going on in NYC, and Chicago that you just put up with the weather. I love Milwaukee more than any other city I have been to. Winter is terrible I can't believe people actually like shoveling a foot of snow every two weeks and the cold and dark days, you might as well live in Alaska. Why not live somewhere where people go on vacation, family you ask what are you going to cry every minute you can't see your aunts and uncles and parents. I hate winter and I know I'm just whining but when people tell me they like winter I also think they would like sleeping on a bed of nails too. I can't comprehend that when people tell me they like snow and cold and dark days and change of seasons. For me it's like trying to understand a Korean math problem. Nobody in there right mind I believe enjoys bad weather, these must be the people who love to be miserable. I'm moving to SD or Miami when the wife graduates grad school. Winter is the devils summer. I just don't believe you when you say I enjoy winter! yeah and I enjoy a hammer hitting my toes!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2009, 08:36 AM

2,057 posts, read 5,489,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
I can't believe for the life of me why people would want to live in the north. IE Twin Cities, Milwaukee, Detroit, Cleveland and so on. NY and CHI are such nice cities that winter doesn't matter or that you have so much going on in NYC, and Chicago that you just put up with the weather. I love Milwaukee more than any other city I have been to. Winter is terrible I can't believe people actually like shoveling a foot of snow every two weeks and the cold and dark days, you might as well live in Alaska. Why not live somewhere where people go on vacation, family you ask what are you going to cry every minute you can't see your aunts and uncles and parents. I hate winter and I know I'm just whining but when people tell me they like winter I also think they would like sleeping on a bed of nails too. I can't comprehend that when people tell me they like snow and cold and dark days and change of seasons. For me it's like trying to understand a Korean math problem. Nobody in there right mind I believe enjoys bad weather, these must be the people who love to be miserable. I'm moving to SD or Miami when the wife graduates grad school. Winter is the devils summer. I just don't believe you when you say I enjoy winter! yeah and I enjoy a hammer hitting my toes!!!
Every person has a different temperature that they prefer.

We are opposites. Its nothing worse than sweat dripping down your forehead when you go to check your mailbox in January

Old 03-20-2009, 08:41 AM

[quote][Every person has a different temperature that they prefer. /QUOTE]

Yeah I know this to be true but I just can't understand it, it's like my brain turns into a preztel when people say "oh isn't -12 and 13inches of snow so beautiful" I like the heat, I think SD is too cold for my liking but There is people that actually live in canada or Minn. It boggles my mind. Like when my grandpa came here from poland he settled in Long Beach CA and then out of nowhere picked up and moved to Milwaukee and now I'm married and stuck in the 2nd coldest major us city.

Old 03-20-2009, 08:48 AM

3,235 posts, read 8,713,676 times
translation = I'm narrow minded and my way is the only way of thinking. Anybody with different tastes is crazy because I'm close minded.

Old 03-20-2009, 08:50 AM

4,306 posts, read 13,467,922 times
So what? You don't like Winter, big deal. Other people do. They are different from you. I realise that may be a difficult concept to grasp but not everyone in the USA thinks just like you. People like different climates. They enjoy different activities, some of which are based on the weather. If they like skating, sledding, ice-fishing or cross-country skiing, who cares?! I personally don't enjoy the cold and moved from Minnesota for that reason, but I know lots of people who love it up and more power to them.

Old 03-20-2009, 08:52 AM

Quote:
translation = I'm narrow minded and my way is the only way of thinking. Anybody with different tastes is crazy because I'm close minded.
Close minded? I just see very cold weather and long dark days of not being a whole lot of fun that's all, I know there are people that like cold and dark I just can't understand why

Old 03-20-2009, 08:58 AM

Let me explain, I understand that I'm a different cat. I'm very conservative and I live in an extremely liberal area that has a lot of gay bars and gay people walking around. It doesn't bother me at all, I get along with all my neighbors. So that's not normal behavior, how many lib's would live in conservative part of texas. Also in my car I keep the heat at high and 84 degress in the winter and even in summer I still keep the heat on at least 74 to keep the shade in my car warm. Right now it's 45-50 in Milwaukee and I'll keep the heat on full blast and hot the whole time I drive.

Old 03-20-2009, 09:01 AM

3,047 posts, read 9,030,737 times
you sound like me except i don't live by gays but i'm in chicago and love the warmth (there is nothing better than feeling that undisturbed pure sunshine on your skin). i just got back from the florida keys, i suggest you do the same. you should move down south. it's more cost effective than the southwest. Plus, the people in the LA and PHX areas are pretentious. You won't get that down south. You'll get women who know how to cook, treat a man, and be a woman. the "ladies" up north are often masculine and forget how to be tactful (really northerners aren't tactful for the most part). but the women know how to be women in places like georgia and south carolina. i'm gonna get me a georgia peach one day.

Old 03-20-2009, 09:03 AM

1,526 posts, read 1,210,954 times
I hate the cold and snow as well but must say that it is a good thing that people like different things --- otherwise everyone would be crammed into just one area! That could really throw things off kilter! I have NO desire to live anywhere further north than I currently am (in Iowa) but understand that some people enjoy thick sweaters, fuzzy socks and cuddling under blankets. And I like that too just not nearly as often or possibly to the same extent. Just because my idea of a good place to be involves a warm sunny beach with seashells all around (no matter what size or condition) doesn't mean that is everyone's idea of utopia. Besides, the more people that enjoy the north leaves more space for us to move south!

Old 03-20-2009, 09:04 AM

2,057 posts, read 5,489,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
Let me explain, I understand that I'm a different cat. I'm very conservative and I live in an extremely liberal area that has a lot of gay bars and gay people walking around. It doesn't bother me at all, I get along with all my neighbors. So that's not normal behavior, how many lib's would live in conservative part of texas. Also in my car I keep the heat at high and 84 degress in the winter and even in summer I still keep the heat on at least 74 to keep the shade in my car warm. Right now it's 45-50 in Milwaukee and I'll keep the heat on full blast and hot the whole time I drive.
I dont know if you have ever lived anywhere else, but move to a place like Florida and see if you like it..... it is way to hot there for me

I understand where your coming from though because Milwaukee is really cold.

I like the weather in the Jersey, Philly, NYC area. You get all 4 seasons. When its summer its hot and when its winter its cold. Thats the way I like it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City