Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 11:34 AM

12,873 posts, read 22,046,243 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
translation = I'm narrow minded and my way is the only way of thinking. Anybody with different tastes is crazy because I'm close minded.
Hahaha, yup.

This is so juvenile. Let's rip on people who think differently than us! We all love a certain climate for various reasons. I can tell you that I love New England because of the 4 seasons. Also, the varying activities that come with each season (i.e. skiing, shoeing, sledding in the winter, swimming at the beach in the summer, Hiking, Biking, Foliage in the Fall, and enjoying the colors and new growth of the spring time). I like the winter... it's beautiful and I find it easier to warm up on cool days (layering, fire place, etc) than it is to cool off on warm days. I enjoy the temperate summers, the beautiful fall, the new life of spring and the snow in the winter.

That being said, I understand why people would prefer year round warmth. To each his/her own. What I don't get is why it's so difficult for people to understand that others have their own, DIFFERENT, tastes? Who the hell cares? If you prefer the year round warmth, well... enjoy! I don't. It's as simple as that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2009, 11:40 AM

3,047 posts, read 9,036,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
First of all, Southerners are typically way fatter than people in the North. Secondly, what you described sounds like a rap video and not reality. Why are you posting on this stupid forum in the first place if you have beautiful bikini-clad women applying sunscreen and serving you Southern BBQ, poolside?

And why does your location read "The North" if you supposedly prefer the Southern lifestyle?
Hilarious post. I ask myself why I am not living in the south every day. I plan to move to Mississippi or Alabama (from chicago) fairly soon. i have family in the south (south carolina, florida, texas, mississippi, and the rest are up here in chicago) and i love going down south to visit. maybe it's a special treat and maybe it's because i've spent 25 years in the north but I plan to get out of dodge fairly soon. i just have to finish my 2nd degree first (about 2 years to go).

i don't live that lifestyle but i will when i move to the south.

Old 03-20-2009, 11:47 AM

2,943 posts, read 5,077,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by At1WithNature View Post
Hilarious post. I ask myself why I am not living in the south every day. I plan to move to Mississippi or Alabama (from chicago) fairly soon. i have family in the south (south carolina, florida, texas, mississippi, and the rest are up here in chicago) and i love going down south to visit. maybe it's a special treat and maybe it's because i've spent 25 years in the north but I plan to get out of dodge fairly soon. i just have to finish my 2nd degree first (about 2 years to go).

i don't live that lifestyle but i will when i move to the south.
Why don't you attend one of the vast array of institutions of higher education in the South? Could it possibly be because even down there a degree from literally any college in the North is still more respected than a degree from Ole Miss or LSU?

Old 03-20-2009, 11:52 AM

12,873 posts, read 22,046,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by At1WithNature View Post
you can only be out in that cold for so long before it has adverse effects on your health. with the heat, all u need is some water and maybe some lotion. don't worry about your back, that fine lady in a bikini will help you out. what are you going to do? have a pretty girl wearing a marshmellow suit buckle up your skis?
B.S.... Most people know that the dangers of the high heat and sun can often be far more dangerous than the cold (though extremes in either direction are VERY dangerous). In fact, the high heat and humidity are FAR worse for your health than any of the normal cold temperatures in the North due to poor air quality at higher temps and humidities as well as UV rays. You may be able to stay outside a bit longer with sunscreen and water, but beyond a couple of hours you're still risking dehydration and lasting skin disease/ cancer from the U.V. Rays (even WITH sunscreen). While you may prefer the permanent warmth, anyone with 1/2 a clue knows that if all precautions are taken in both instances, the higher temperatures put more people at risk than the lower ones.

In colder weather, layering can allow you to be outside for a super long period of time AND through changing temperatures. It's not the 60's anymore... "Marshmallow" suits are rarely ever used (besides on infants). A comfortable, light jacket and snow pants (which again, are comfortable and light) are much easier to use.

I can understand why you prefer the warmer weather, but you should at least try and understand why some of us prefer the seasons and the cold.

Last edited by lrfox; 03-20-2009 at 12:33 PM..

Old 03-20-2009, 12:03 PM

unless we're talking about thick evergreen bushes and trees, don't you hate the "dead" look of everything in winter as all life is basically suspended and plant growth grows dormant? walking around in lush environments with creepy crawlers and birds chirping has a great effect on the experience one has. in the north (chicago anyway), the end of october through march is pretty much "dead time." i guess it makes spring time more exciting when i see things like robins returning and bushes starting to bud.

Old 03-20-2009, 12:03 PM

8,290 posts, read 23,120,137 times
Quote:
I can understand why you prefer the warmer weather, but you should at least try to be at least SOMEWHAT rational and understand while some of us prefer the seasons and the cold
I know why you like cold b/c you don't like sun? let me ask you this. If you had to chose one season for the rest of your life what season would it be? my guess is most people in the world would chose summer.

Old 03-20-2009, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
I know why you like cold b/c you don't like sun? let me ask you this. If you had to chose one season for the rest of your life what season would it be? my guess is most people in the world would chose summer.
that's what i thought too (agree with summer for my preference). However, I learned that most people prefer fall! believe it or not. i think young people prefer summer and then as you get old and fat, you prefer the fall.

Old 03-20-2009, 12:07 PM

8,290 posts, read 23,120,137 times
I hate raking leaves and how windy it is in fall. Spring is too cool and windy and rainy as well. Summer anywhere in the us is beautiful. I would chose summer and one beer for the rest of my life would MGD.!

Old 03-20-2009, 12:12 PM

1,066 posts, read 1,560,453 times
I'll take a well-paying job over warm climate any day. But that's just me.

Old 03-20-2009, 12:13 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,123,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
This is so juvenile. Let's rip on people who think differently than us! We all love a certain climate for various reasons.

<snip>

What I don't get is why it's so difficult for people to understand that others have their own, DIFFERENT, tastes? Who the hell cares? If you prefer the year round warmth, well... enjoy! I don't. It's as simple as that.

This is a good perspective.
Offer your opinion and resist the temptation to criticize folks with opinions different from your own.

Negative-premise threads here usually descend into a quagmire of personal attacks. Let's do what we can to make this one the exception.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City