Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 08:02 PM

1,975 posts, read 5,215,225 times

Advertisements

I'll take an old rustbelt city like Milwaukee, Cleveland, or Buffalo over a sprawling desert sunbelt city any day. At least the old industrial cities of the north have character and amenities from their glory days. The new growth down south seems to mostly be subdivisions and strip malls.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2009, 09:23 PM

32,620 posts, read 77,632,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5Lakes View Post
The new growth down south seems to mostly be subdivisions and strip malls.
Sadly enough the people of the South largely seem to prefer such an environment.

Old 03-31-2009, 05:51 AM

605 posts, read 1,843,386 times
i like winter...theres something very calming about snow. And i love it around Christmas time too, puts you in the season you know?

Old 03-31-2009, 06:21 AM

7,845 posts, read 20,814,775 times
Quote:
I'll take an old rustbelt city like Milwaukee, Cleveland, or Buffalo over a sprawling desert sunbelt city any day. At least the old industrial cities of the north have character and amenities from their glory days. The new growth down south seems to mostly be subdivisions and strip malls.
"Seem to be" to someone who has no idea.

Old 03-31-2009, 06:29 AM

2,441 posts, read 7,011,141 times
I live in Arizona, but Minneapolis is the only city in the Midwest/Plains that I would EVER consider living in. I know that Minneapolis gets bitterly cold during the winter. It seems like the city is outfitted for cold weather. The friendliness of people in Minneapolis is unrivaled in any major metropolitan area of the country, many people are very well educated, many neighborhoods are very attractive, and there are many cultural amenities.

It really isn't all about weather. I think people in colder climates somehow think that the quality of life in warmer climates is impeccable. Not even close. Even those it's warm outside, you still have to deal with the grind of daily life.

Old 03-31-2009, 06:34 AM

2,441 posts, read 7,011,141 times
Quote:
What is character? Old, ugly homes, broken infrastructure, and decaying factories? No thanks. I'll take my new identical strip malls on every corner, new cookie-cutter homes, and well-maintained roads.

Old 03-31-2009, 06:35 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,384,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
Sadly enough the people of the South largely seem to prefer such an environment.
Yeah, I hate the cramped, gray, squished, expensive, parking-space-devoid cities of the northeast. Really makes me insane. I hate how you can't see the sky in NYC. Some of us need open spaces.

Old 03-31-2009, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
"Seem to be" to someone who has no idea.
Don't tell me I have no idea buddy. I have visited the following major southern cities and know what I see.

Charlotte
Atlanta
Columbus, GA
Raleigh area
Miami
Wilmington
Nashville
Columbia
Greenville
Birmingham
Montgomery
Knoxville
Virginia Beach

Also been to these cities which are three of my favorites.
Richmond
Charleston
Ashville

Old 03-31-2009, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiman View Post
What is character? Old, ugly homes, broken infrastructure, and decaying factories? No thanks. I'll take my new identical strip malls on every corner, new cookie-cutter homes, and well-maintained roads.
Give me a break my man. Just because you live in an old industrial city does not mean you have to live in the ghetto. There are plenty of nice older neighborhoods to live in that are clean and well maintained. There are also brand new areas to be found with "new identical strip malls on every corner, new cookie-cutter homes, and well-maintained roads" if that is your thing.

Old 03-31-2009, 09:43 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,944,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Yeah, I hate the cramped, gray, squished, expensive, parking-space-devoid cities of the northeast. Really makes me insane. I hate how you can't see the sky in NYC. Some of us need open spaces.

What do you mean, can't see the sky in NYC? lol. And I actually have no problem finding parking spaces in my neighborhood You can't generalize all of NYC by just Manhattan. Like I said before, I bet nearly everyone on this forum who has been to NYC, has probably never set foot in the outer-boroughs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City