Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2009, 11:31 AM

925 posts, read 2,606,531 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
Ah yes, you blamed all of the South's educational ills on its Black residents. Sorry, but I have a really hard time believing that they're solely responsible for the entire region lagging behind in education. Especially since states like Illinois, Michigan, Maryland, New Jersey, Delaware, New York, and Connecticut all have large Black populations as well, yet they aren't suffering education deficiencies like the Southern states.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/b/bd/IQ-4races-rotate-highres.png (broken link)
Source: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/b/bd/IQ-4races-rotate-highres.png (broken link)

Alabama 29.2% black
Mississippi 36.0% black
Louisiana 32.4% black
North Carolina 20.0% black
Georgia 27.5% black
South Carolina 28.9% black
Virginia 19.1% black
Tennessee 16.1% black
Arkansas 15.5% black
Texas 11.0% black
Maryland 27.1% black
Delaware 20.0% black

Connecticut 9.0% black
New Jersey 13.3% black
New York 15.7% black
Rhode Island 4.4% black
Massachusetts 5.3% black
Vermont 0.5% black
New Hampshire 0.7% black
Pennsylvania 9.9% black
Ohio 11.4% black
Indiana 8.3% black
Michigan 14.1% black
Wisconsin 5.6% black
Minnesota 3.4% black
Illinois 15.0% black
Iowa 2.1% black
Maine 0.5% black

Source: u.s. black population

For statistical purposes, with all U.S. departments and offices, including education, Maryland and Delaware are counted as a southern states

State Percent White
#1 Vermont:96.1 % (Northeast)
#2 Maine:96 % (Northeast)
#3 West Virginia:94.6 % (hybrid)
#4 New Hampshire:94.1 % (Northeast)
#5 South Dakota:93.4 % (Midwest)
#6 Iowa:91.6 % (Midwest)
#7 North Dakota:91.1 % (Midwest)
#8 Kentucky:89.2 % (South)
#9 Montana:89.1 %
#10 Wyoming:88.6 %
#11 Idaho:87 %
#12 Minnesota:86.6 % (Midwest)
#13 Wisconsin:86.3 % (Midwest)
#14 Nebraska:86 % (Midwest)
#15 Indiana:84.7 % (Midwest)
#16 Utah:84.4 %
#17 Kansas:83.8 % (Midwest)
#18 Ohio:83.4 % (Midwest)
#19 Missouri:83.2 % (Midwest)
#20 Pennsylvania:83.1 % (Northeast)
#21 Oregon:81.9 %
#22 Massachusetts:80.3 % (Northeast)
#23 Rhode Island:80.1 % (Northeast)
#24 Michigan:78.2 % (Midwest)
#25 Tennessee:78.2 % (South)
#26 Arkansas:77.5 % (South)
#27 Washington:77.3 %
#28 Connecticut:75.7 % (Northeast)
#29 Oklahoma:73 % (South)
#30 Colorado:72.4 %
#31 Delaware:70.4 % (South)
#32 Alabama:69.9 % (South)
#33 North Carolina:68.8 % (South)
#34 Virginia:68.7 % (South)
#35 Alaska:67.1 %
#36 Illinois:66.1 % (Midwest)
#37 South Carolina:65.9 % (South)
#38 New Jersey:63.6 % (Northeast)
#39 Florida:62.6 % (South)
#40 Louisiana:62.1 % (South)
#41 Nevada:61.1 %
#42 New York:60.9 % (Northeast)
#43 Arizona:60.9 %
#44 Georgia:60.4 % (South)
#45 Mississippi:60.2 % (South)
#46 Maryland:59.7 % (South)
#47 Texas:49.5 % (South)
#48 California:44.2 %
#49 New Mexico:43.1 %
#50 District of Columbia:29 %
#51 Hawaii:22.9 %

Source: StateMaster - Percent of People Who are White Alone, Not Hispanic or Latino (most recent) by state

The SAT

State SAT rankings are worse than meaningless, say Ball State experts
Source: State SAT rankings are worse than meaningless, say Ball State experts
"They found the larger the percentage of students taking the SAT in a state, the lower the average SAT."

Since the SAT is often used as a source for comparing states, consider that in states where few students take the test, they score the highest:

Georgia: 75% taking, average score 990
Illinois: 10% taking, average score 1200
Connecticut: 86% taking, average score 1030
Alabama: 10% taking, average score 1130

Alabama outscores Connecticut, how could this be? They have only the brightest take the test, whereas Connecticut has many.
Source: http://www.radicalmath.org/docs/SAT_activity.doc

What about the effect of race & the SAT?
The SAT's Growing Gaps
Source: news: The SAT's Growing Gaps - Inside Higher Ed (broken link)
SAT Scores by Race and Ethnicity, 2008
American Indian 485 -2 491 -3 470 -3 -8
Asian American 513 -1 581 +3 516 +3 +5
Black 430 -3 426 -3 424 -1 -7
Mexican American 454 -1 463 -3 447 -3 -7
Puerto Rican 456 -3 453 -1 445 -2 -6
Other Hispanic 455 -4 461 -2 448 -2 -8
White 528 +1 537 +3 518 no change +4

Public School Graduation Rates in the U.S. (Note how Kentucky outperforms New York...but note how blacks and Hispanics graduate at a much lower rate than Asians and whites in all states)
Civic Report 31 | Table 1

"The national graduation rate for the public school class of 2000 was 69%. The rate for white students was 76%; for Asian students it was 79%; for African-American students it was 55%; for Hispanic students it was 53%; and for Native Americans it was 57%."
Source Civic Report 31 | Public School Graduation Rates in the United States
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2009, 05:04 PM

2,943 posts, read 5,071,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Fanatic View Post
Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah.
Instead of posting a huge clusterf*ck of stats, charts, graphs, and links, perhaps you should simply begin by having a point to make in the first place. What exactly is your point here, I'm lost?

As far as Delaware and Maryland being Southern states, maybe from the point of view of the U.S. Census Bureau but nobody living in those considers them to be Southern. Hell, even Virginia and North Carolina are becoming less and less Southern and becoming more and more East Coast.

Old 04-07-2009, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
Instead of posting a huge clusterf*ck of stats, charts, graphs, and links, perhaps you should simply begin by having a point to make in the first place. What exactly is your point here, I'm lost?

As far as Delaware and Maryland being Southern states, maybe from the point of view of the U.S. Census Bureau but nobody living in those considers them to be Southern. Hell, even Virginia and North Carolina are becoming less and less Southern and becoming more and more East Coast.
I've proven you wrong, so it's "blah, blah, blah" to you.

My point is that the south often gets ragged on for poor education, when in reality the south's overrepresentative percentage of blacks is why the south ranks low. I've posted IQs of the different groups, the black and white percentages of the different states. I've posted fallacies of the SAT, showing you that even Alabama ranks higher than Connecticut. I've posted high school graduation rates of all races in all states. Note that Kentucky, which has a lower black population, has a higher graduation rate than New York. In fact, New York isn't great on education.

Your theories of "dumb southerners" is pure drivel, and you have no way to deduce facts. If the demographics were exactly reversed between the regions, racially speaking, we'd be saying, "dumb northerners", but same group to same group, the stats are fairly equal.

Old 04-07-2009, 06:10 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,929,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Fanatic View Post
In fact, New York isn't great on education.

That's because NYC brings down the state's average a whole lot. Take away NYC and NYS's graduation rate would be over 90%. Anyway, KY doesn't have any state test comparable to NY's. NYS always has the most Intel contest winners. This year there is one from the school I went to Have never seen any from KY:

http://www.scisvc.org/sts/68sts/finalists.asp

Last edited by Rachael84; 04-07-2009 at 06:21 PM..

Old 04-07-2009, 07:22 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,206,200 times
Everybody can move down here if they want, but don't start whining when your A/C suddenly blows out. Growing up in Detroit, the winters were lovely and I still have fond memories. Some of them were exceptionally cold, but I could handle a lifetime of that before I would choose to deal with a lifetime of 100° weather + humidity.

Old 04-07-2009, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
That's because NYC brings down the state's average a whole lot. Take away NYC and NYS's graduation rate would be over 90%. Anyway, KY doesn't have any state test comparable to NY's. NYS always has the most Intel contest winners. This year there is one from the school I went to Have never seen any from KY:

Society for Science & The Public
And while other regions have lots of minorities in their cities, particularly blacks, the south has them all over. When you have more of a group that typically scores lower on tests, you're going to perform at lower level. Hence, the need to lay off the South.

Old 04-07-2009, 08:03 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,760,626 times
Why i never realized that Maryland was the blackest Northern state! That's cool

Old 04-09-2009, 12:26 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,655,649 times
Default I have been living in South Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
I can't believe for the life of me why people would want to live in the north. IE Twin Cities, Milwaukee, Detroit, Cleveland and so on. NY and CHI are such nice cities that winter doesn't matter or that you have so much going on in NYC, and Chicago that you just put up with the weather. I love Milwaukee more than any other city I have been to. Winter is terrible I can't believe people actually like shoveling a foot of snow every two weeks and the cold and dark days, you might as well live in Alaska. Why not live somewhere where people go on vacation, family you ask what are you going to cry every minute you can't see your aunts and uncles and parents. I hate winter and I know I'm just whining but when people tell me they like winter I also think they would like sleeping on a bed of nails too. I can't comprehend that when people tell me they like snow and cold and dark days and change of seasons. For me it's like trying to understand a Korean math problem. Nobody in there right mind I believe enjoys bad weather, these must be the people who love to be miserable. I'm moving to SD or Miami when the wife graduates grad school. Winter is the devils summer. I just don't believe you when you say I enjoy winter! yeah and I enjoy a hammer hitting my toes!!!
for 2 years now. I did not come here by choice (husband's job). You may have the extreme of cold in the upper MidWest, but let me tell you, South Florida as the other extreme. Although we have had a "cold front" (50s at night 70s in day), we will be back to our normal temps of 90 degrees and HUMID by the weekend. Yes, it is only APRIL. This goes on for months and months and months. It is simply indescribable if you have not lived here. Our "seasons" are hot, hotter, hottest, and get me the heck outta here.

I am from NYC and lived for 20 years on LI. I also lived in Central Florida when I was in my 20s. I was here from May to December. I just couldn't take it anymore. Thanksgiving was enough tropical for me. I wanted my 4 seasons, so I went back to NY, married, raised a family, and never gave one more thought to ever going back to Florida. Unfortunately, life throws you a curve sometimes and we had to move here.

I was thoroughly unprepared for the difference in temperatures in this state. South Florida is an inferno in comparison to where I had lived. For somebody who hated summer up north to begin with, this is driving me out of my mind. Hibernate in the winters up North? No, I didn't. I always went out. Here you do hibernate and summer isn't just a couple of months either. It is running from AC work, to AC car, to AC home. You cannot spend a whole lot of time outside when the heat index is near or over 100 degrees in the middle of the day. You want to go to the beach? We went one day last July when my daughter was visiting. The air temp was 95 degrees AT THE BEACH and the water temp was 89 degrees. Pleasant? My daughter called it swimming in a hot tub. She said she wanted to go home to the AC and a COLD SHOWER.

It also does not rain, for months and months at a time. It isn't even cloudy. Nothing but endless sun beating down on you. I find myself sitting outside in the night just so I can have DARKNESS and no more sun. The few times when it is cloudy, or rainy, I run out just to be outside and not in the sun. Everything is the same year round. You cannot tell January from July. Same trees, same, same, same. Nothing changes. Boring, boring, boring.

I visit my daughter in NY in the Fall and WINTER just to escape this place. When I was there last January, it was 9 degrees and snowing. I got up at 7 AM, layered up, and went outside in the snow for well over an hour. I was happier then than I have been the entire 2 years I have lived in Florida.

We have about 4 or 5 years until we can retire. Goodbye, and good riddance to Florida. I will take the 4 seasons, including 9 degrees and snow any day, over 95 degrees with 95% humidity, nearly all year round.

Old 04-12-2009, 12:09 PM

9,526 posts, read 16,507,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by At1WithNature View Post
you sound like me except i don't live by gays but i'm in chicago and love the warmth (there is nothing better than feeling that undisturbed pure sunshine on your skin). i just got back from the florida keys, i suggest you do the same. you should move down south. it's more cost effective than the southwest. Plus, the people in the LA and PHX areas are pretentious. You won't get that down south. You'll get women who know how to cook, treat a man, and be a woman. the "ladies" up north are often masculine and forget how to be tactful (really northerners aren't tactful for the most part). but the women know how to be women in places like georgia and south carolina. i'm gonna get me a georgia peach one day.
I'll agree with you Phx and LA are pretentious, some of the Western regions do seem to be that way. As far as the southeast, Im not getting this cost effective theory anymore. The housing is cheaper but not as cheap as one would think, and everything else is the same or higher. In fact the tax structures in many southern states is tax on this that and everything including the grocery bill. Very extensive tax systems in southern states outside of Florida.

Old 04-12-2009, 07:11 PM

306 posts, read 475,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
Close minded? I just see very cold weather and long dark days of not being a whole lot of fun that's all, I know there are people that like cold and dark I just can't understand why
I say this to myself every winter but to be honest I get sick of the heat after four months of it. Four seasons is where its at.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City