Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 09:49 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,370,188 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5Lakes View Post
There are also brand new areas to be found with "new identical strip malls on every corner, new cookie-cutter homes, and well-maintained roads" if that is your thing.
This contradicts your previous post that states that this is all the South has to offer. So now you are claiming this as a Northern option too?

Interesting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2009, 10:24 AM

322 posts, read 903,298 times
Default I'm with you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
I can't believe for the life of me why people would want to live in the north. IE Twin Cities, Milwaukee, Detroit, Cleveland and so on. NY and CHI are such nice cities that winter doesn't matter or that you have so much going on in NYC, and Chicago that you just put up with the weather. I love Milwaukee more than any other city I have been to. Winter is terrible I can't believe people actually like shoveling a foot of snow every two weeks and the cold and dark days, you might as well live in Alaska. Why not live somewhere where people go on vacation, family you ask what are you going to cry every minute you can't see your aunts and uncles and parents. I hate winter and I know I'm just whining but when people tell me they like winter I also think they would like sleeping on a bed of nails too. I can't comprehend that when people tell me they like snow and cold and dark days and change of seasons. For me it's like trying to understand a Korean math problem. Nobody in there right mind I believe enjoys bad weather, these must be the people who love to be miserable. I'm moving to SD or Miami when the wife graduates grad school. Winter is the devils summer. I just don't believe you when you say I enjoy winter! yeah and I enjoy a hammer hitting my toes!!!
I used to think I would like winter when I was a kid. Of course, growing up in TX, snow got you a day off from school to play in it, and it was so rare that it was both beautiful and exotic and transformed the ordinary world into something magical. I thought it would be great if it happened way more often. However, after putting up with snow for several winters, this is no longer the case. It gets so OLD and nothing looks the SAME more than having snow for day after day after day for months. I long for warm weather, fresh air and sunshine. I hate dreary days when they happen all the time. When you live in a warm climate and you get a dreary day, it seems like a break, kind of like rest. When you live in a place that has them all the time, they just seem like work.

I cannot stand living in Alaska precisely because of the weather. We are moving to Texas this year no matter what, because I am sick of winter. It's gone on for six solid months and counting this year and this is my sixth Alaskan winter. I also lived in Boston for 3 years before. I liked winter in Boston - but Boston was a really awesome city for a city girl like me. Now I'm so sick of winter that even though I loved Boston, I don't want to go there. I'm serious...I don't want to see it anymore a all! And yes people here say, they love winter and wonder what you're complaining about. They moved here for this. I can only conclude some people are gluttons for punishment.

Old 03-31-2009, 10:27 AM

1,975 posts, read 5,215,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
This contradicts your previous post that states that this is all the South has to offer. So now you are claiming this as a Northern option too?

Interesting.
Please show me where I said this is ALL the south has to offer. Also show me where I said that there is no sprawl in other parts of the country. What I did say is that excess sprawl development is more a dominate feature in the south, and that living in that kind of environment is not my preference. Furthermore, I have never stated that southern cities have zero options for city living, so please don't start in on me with a bunch of photos showing skylines and neighborhoods.

This is the third post on this thread were people have been all defensive from me simply stating MY PREFERENCES. Please take it down a few notches and try not to get all fired up when someone else has a different viewpoint. It makes you look like you have a serious chip on your shoulder.

Old 03-31-2009, 10:45 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,370,188 times
^Oh, but I DO have a chip on my shoulder. I'm tired of generalized blanket statements about the South masked as insults, but cloaked in opinion.

I'll take it down a notch when all the kool-aid drinkers take it down a notch.

Old 03-31-2009, 10:47 AM

2,057 posts, read 5,492,698 times
Quote:
Please show me where I said this is ALL the south has to offer. Also show me where I said that there is no sprawl in other parts of the country. What I did say is that excess sprawl development is more a dominate feature in the south, and that living in that kind of environment is not my preference. Furthermore, I have never stated that southern cities have zero options for city living, so please don't start in on me with a bunch of photos showing skylines and neighborhoods.

This is the third post on this thread were people have been all defensive from me simply stating MY PREFERENCES. Please take it down a few notches and try not to get all fired up when someone else has a different viewpoint. It makes you look like you have a serious chip on your shoulder.
that is the key word is my preferences.

i come across many post of people stating how anyone that is not from the south is a yankee and they are all rude, impatient, etc.

when someone responds to this they are labeled as someone that hates the south

Old 03-31-2009, 10:50 AM

1,303 posts, read 2,095,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC1DAY View Post
that is the key word is my prefernces. i come across many post of people stating how anyone is is not from the south is a yankee and they are all rude, impatient, etc.

when someone responds to this they are labeled as someone that hates the south

This North South thing needs to stop lets just all appreciate each others enviroments and where we live we alllive in the same country I dont see in the Other world forums people debating and argueing about what city is better.

Old 03-31-2009, 11:03 AM

1,975 posts, read 5,215,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
^Oh, but I DO have a chip on my shoulder. I'm tired of generalized blanket statements about the South masked as insults, but cloaked in opinion.

I'll take it down a notch when all the kool-aid drinkers take it down a notch.
Fair enough my man. Nothing against the south personally. People seem friendly, there is some nice natural scenery, and there are cities down your way that seem like fine places to live. I have enjoyed my visits down south for the most part, but just prefer the urban experiences I have had in the north or west coast(generally speaking). I just try to call them like I see them.

Old 03-31-2009, 12:21 PM

1,303 posts, read 2,095,291 times
Quote:
Fair enough my man. Nothing against the south personally. People seem friendly, there is some nice natural scenery, and there are cities down your way that seem like fine places to live. I have enjoyed my visits down south for the most part, but just prefer the urban experiences I have had in the north or west coast(generally speaking). I just try to call them like I see them.

Theres a way you can give a honest opinion without insulting they way people talk on here they wouldnt be able to on Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitors sites is not allowed because they filter everything if its not feasable critics then they delete your message on here people just go over board with there opinions and thats where arguements come into place. And see this post that you just posted was believeable but not over exaggerated

Last edited by Yac; 05-05-2009 at 05:35 AM..

Old 03-31-2009, 01:43 PM

605 posts, read 1,843,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittymama View Post
I used to think I would like winter when I was a kid. Of course, growing up in TX, snow got you a day off from school to play in it, and it was so rare that it was both beautiful and exotic and transformed the ordinary world into something magical. I thought it would be great if it happened way more often. However, after putting up with snow for several winters, this is no longer the case. It gets so OLD and nothing looks the SAME more than having snow for day after day after day for months. I long for warm weather, fresh air and sunshine. I hate dreary days when they happen all the time. When you live in a warm climate and you get a dreary day, it seems like a break, kind of like rest. When you live in a place that has them all the time, they just seem like work.

I cannot stand living in Alaska precisely because of the weather. We are moving to Texas this year no matter what, because I am sick of winter. It's gone on for six solid months and counting this year and this is my sixth Alaskan winter. I also lived in Boston for 3 years before. I liked winter in Boston - but Boston was a really awesome city for a city girl like me. Now I'm so sick of winter that even though I loved Boston, I don't want to go there. I'm serious...I don't want to see it anymore a all! And yes people here say, they love winter and wonder what you're complaining about. They moved here for this. I can only conclude some people are gluttons for punishment.
omg fairbanks!!!!isnt that like the coldest city ? theres a big difference between having a daily high of -1 than like 28 in chigago!!!

Old 03-31-2009, 02:04 PM

322 posts, read 903,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicken.or.the.nugget View Post
omg fairbanks!!!!isnt that like the coldest city ? theres a big difference between having a daily high of -1 than like 28 in chigago!!!
yes...it is a lot worse. Of course, it took me to my breaking point and now I wouldn't even want winter in Chicago. Like I'm done with winter...forever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City