Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 12:14 PM

3,681 posts, read 6,273,058 times

Advertisements

Popcorn time! Funny thread!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2009, 12:19 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,102,936 times
Quote:
I'll take a well-paying job over warm climate any day. But that's just me.
I'm the opposite, I would take a 30k/yr job in beautiful weather any day. What good is it making 92k in a place where you can't enjoy but only 4 months out of the year. Ever drive in snow, you have to have a winter car if you have a nice car.

Old 03-20-2009, 12:21 PM

3,047 posts, read 9,031,232 times
winter is fine through Christmas, then Jan, Feb, and March stink like the dickens. white christmas, first snow...i can dig all that. what i can't dig, is the boringness (if that's even a word) of those first 3 months of every year. that's why i always "try" to go on a vacation in january or february to a place like key west or miami or both.

Old 03-20-2009, 12:36 PM

12,820 posts, read 22,003,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post

This is a good perspective.
Offer your opinion and resist the temptation to criticize folks with opinions different from your own.

Negative-premise threads here usually descend into a quagmire of personal attacks. Let's do what we can to make this one the exception.
Thanks... I try ( though sometimes I take the bait and get sucked into arguments that I just can't resist) to take that approach mostly.

Unfortunately, this thread doesn't seem to be taking the higher ground approach... it looks as if it's getting personal. Guess I'm done with this topic!

Old 03-20-2009, 12:37 PM

1,060 posts, read 1,557,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
I'm the opposite, I would take a 30k/yr job in beautiful weather any day. What good is it making 92k in a place where you can't enjoy but only 4 months out of the year. Ever drive in snow, you have to have a winter car if you have a nice car.
Seriously? You'd take 30k and pretty much be stuck wherever you're living over 92k and the financial freedom to jet off to Europe, Japan, wherever? Eating at Red Lobster for a special occasion over eating at a world-renowned restaurant? etc., etc.

And my take on cold weather is it makes you appreciate the summer that much more. I've found that people who live in warm climates for the most part brag about it, but rarely take advantage of it. Whereas people in the north practically live outside during the summer.

Old 03-20-2009, 01:06 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,041,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by At1WithNature View Post
winter is fine through Christmas, then Jan, Feb, and March stink like the dickens. white christmas, first snow...i can dig all that. what i can't dig, is the boringness (if that's even a word) of those first 3 months of every year. that's why i always "try" to go on a vacation in january or february to a place like key west or miami or both.
As an unrecognized member of the "Royal Order of the 21ster's" we believe that Winter officially ends after the Winter Solstice (Dec 21st) when the days start getting longer. January ain't nuthin' but a couple weeks of below zero weather and those temps generally occur when we are sleeping anyways. I can spit from one end of February to the other and it flies by in a heartbeat. By March, the sun is so high in the sky you hardly need more than a hooded sweatshirt. I only wish that we had more snow to give us more to do. Plus, the brief winter is enough to drive all the bums and ner'-do-wells down to Florida and California where they can frolic with those pretty gals that are so attracted to men of that ilk.

Of course, summer will be over here in late June as the days start getting shorter. Then we have fall but that usually lasts 5 or 6 months. I'd show you a graph but it's all pretty technical and requires a suspension of reality.

Old 03-20-2009, 01:15 PM

1,588 posts, read 4,060,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
I'm very conservative
I can't believe for the life of me why people would want to be conservative.

Quote:
jj, while those northerners are cooped up inside their houses doing nothing but over-eating and studying, southererns are barbecuing, chillaxin by the pool, enjoying the sun with some fine ladies, etc. I'll take the southern lifestyle thank you very much!
Overeating? Aren't the most obese states in the south?

Last edited by BlackOut; 03-20-2009 at 01:42 PM..

Old 03-20-2009, 01:24 PM

1,588 posts, read 4,060,819 times
Milwaukee City and At1WithNature should date. Just my opinion.

Old 03-20-2009, 02:13 PM

2,057 posts, read 5,489,819 times
Quote:
you sound like me except i don't live by gays but i'm in chicago and love the warmth (there is nothing better than feeling that undisturbed pure sunshine on your skin). i just got back from the florida keys, i suggest you do the same. you should move down south. it's more cost effective than the southwest. Plus, the people in the LA and PHX areas are pretentious. You won't get that down south. You'll get women who know how to cook, treat a man, and be a woman. the "ladies" up north are often masculine and forget how to be tactful (really northerners aren't tactful for the most part). but the women know how to be women in places like georgia and south carolina. i'm gonna get me a georgia peach one day.
No in the south you will get tacky and outdated

Places like ga and sc..... are you serious?

you should add alabama in with those. LOL

Old 03-20-2009, 02:15 PM

2,057 posts, read 5,489,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
I really hate this trend of everybody moving Down South or Out West because they can't handle the cold weather. I fear if everybody lives in the Sun Belt, then the U.S. is going to devolve into a third-world nation. If you look all around the world, the countries with warm climates are the most primitive. Look at Africa, the Caribbean, the South Pacific, the Middle East, etc. The most civilized nations have temperate climates like Japan, Norway, Switzerland, Canada, UK, etc. Look at our own country as an example of this trend. Who do you think is smarter, people from the North or the South?

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitors sites is not allowed

Most Educated States
1. Vermont
2. Connecticut
3. Massachusetts
4. New Jersey
5. Maine
6. Minnesota
7. Virginia
8. Wisconsin
9. Montana
10. New York

Least Educated States
41. Tennessee
42. Hawaii
43. Alabama
44. Alaska
45. Louisiana
46. California
47. Nevada
48. New Mexico
49. Mississippi
50. Arizona
this says it all. one of the most educated states and 4 in the least educated states are in the south

way to go "ya'll"

Last edited by Yac; 05-05-2009 at 06:36 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City