Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Inland or coastal?
Inland 11 9.40%
Coastal 75 64.10%
Along a lake 14 11.97%
Along a river 17 14.53%
Voters: 117. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2022, 04:54 PM

5,349 posts, read 5,126,476 times

Advertisements

I think people that prefer the coast grew up by it and are familiar with that as a source of recreation. For people that grew up inland, the coast doesn't seem like a place people actually go out all day to have fun at, unlike weekends in the mountains.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2022, 04:59 PM

340 posts, read 175,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
I think people that prefer the coast grew up by it and are familiar with that as a source of recreation. For people that grew up inland, the coast doesn't seem like a place people actually go out all day to have fun at, unlike weekends in the mountains.

When you live inland of the coast you can have it all, but alot of the people on here are againsts a little driving..

Old 05-11-2022, 06:16 AM

817 posts, read 626,597 times
Quote:
I grew up in Bellflower, CA which is 13 miles inland from the Pacific coast. As a kid my mom would drive me to Seal Beach after her day off of work sometimes, we were poor so we didn't go often, but I loved it. Usually the river bed (ghetto beach) would be the closest thing we had to a beach so my friends and I always headed there on our bikes and had fun.

Old 05-11-2022, 08:38 AM

5,349 posts, read 5,126,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by number 4 mvp View Post
When you live inland of the coast you can have it all, but alot of the people on here are againsts a little driving..
People IRL sure don't seem to be against it lol! I mean, both is always better than having to pick one, but I don't know that both are equally as valuable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NearFantastica View Post
I grew up in Bellflower, CA which is 13 miles inland from the Pacific coast. As a kid my mom would drive me to Seal Beach after her day off of work sometimes, we were poor so we didn't go often, but I loved it. Usually the river bed (ghetto beach) would be the closest thing we had to a beach so my friends and I always headed there on our bikes and had fun.
See! You don't need the waves, just some sand and water to make it work! Margaritaville on Lake Lanier is as much of a beach as I need haha

Old 05-11-2022, 09:16 AM

24,557 posts, read 18,239,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by number 4 mvp View Post

I own a house in a coastal town and a condo at a ski resort. Since I was in 5th grade, I got in the car every Friday afternoon in the winter to go skiing for the weekend.

Here's a photo of my last day of spring skiing transitioning from winter ski boots to summer Top Sider boat shoes.

Old 05-11-2022, 02:26 PM

402 posts, read 273,578 times
Quote:
Not true! Look up my birth city where I still live Sofia, Bulgaria. Very inland surrounded by mountains. I always enjoy vacations to the beach or by a lake or large river like the Danube more than in inland areas devoid of water.

I get bored in flat landlocked locations not on a big lake, dam or river & completely cabin fever nuts if it is hilly or mountainous.

Weekends in the mountains can be fun (not in winter for me) but I prefer beach vacations.

Old 05-11-2022, 03:27 PM

7,409 posts, read 6,540,013 times
Quote:
That sums it up for me though some water, non-ocean based cities, such as Chicago and Portland in the US; Prague abroad (lake/river), also work for me.

Last edited by elchevere; 05-11-2022 at 03:50 PM..

Old 05-11-2022, 03:32 PM

340 posts, read 175,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I own a house in a coastal town and a condo at a ski resort. Since I was in 5th grade, I got in the car every Friday afternoon in the winter to go skiing for the weekend.

Here's a photo of my last day of spring skiing transitioning from winter ski boots to summer Top Sider boat shoes.

Not you, just some posts I seen before where some people from other regions judge negativily of an area because it's more car dependant... but the culture for us, is to get into the car and start road tripping. That's part of the excitement that builds up and the trip sometimes become the highlight lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City