Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Inland or coastal?
Inland 11 9.40%
Coastal 75 64.10%
Along a lake 14 11.97%
Along a river 17 14.53%
Voters: 117. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 05:25 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,852,499 times

Advertisements

Which do you prefer? You can include cities from around the world.

I prefer the coastal cities in the U.S. but I prefer the inland cities when you expand the choices around the world.

Favorite coastal cities:
New York City
Los Angeles
Miami
Honk Kong
Vancouver
Amsterdam

Favorite river cities:
Paris

Favorite Lake side cities:
Chicago

Favorite inland cities:
Las Vegas
Austin
Denver
Moscow

I like New Orleans but I'm not sure what category to place it in.

Also, the cities should be well known for the category they are placed in since most cities have rivers and such.

Last edited by westhou; 05-29-2009 at 05:54 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2009, 05:30 PM

1,423 posts, read 4,685,519 times
Coastal just on the Westcoast though. River, Idk ,there's a risk of flooding and overflowing, Lake, Mos def only if the Laker was in a Mountain range! Inland yes, only in the winter, It's too Hot in the Inland Empire! Looks like a fun thread!

Old 05-29-2009, 05:41 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,852,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californialove24 View Post
Coastal just on the Westcoast though. River, Idk ,there's a risk of flooding and overflowing, Lake, Mos def only if the Laker was in a Mountain range! Inland yes, only in the winter, It's too Hot in the Inland Empire! Looks like a fun thread!
West coast is beautiful. My favorite coast in the U.S.

My favorite coast in the world would be the Australian coast or the Meditteranean (sorry I can't spell) coast.

Old 05-29-2009, 05:43 PM

1,423 posts, read 4,685,519 times
^^ Yeah me to I can't spell Mediterrean either.

Old 05-29-2009, 05:44 PM

605 posts, read 1,842,577 times
coasts are obvi the best. Everyone loves water views and beaches. Mountain views are also gorgeous. If its not on/near the ocean it should be by a lake like chicago, minneapolis, salt lake city.

Old 05-29-2009, 06:19 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
I would love to live in a great lakes city provided the great lakes were moved about ten degrees south in latitude. So I guess it's the coast for me.

Old 05-29-2009, 08:42 PM

2,413 posts, read 5,747,685 times
I prefer a Coastal area with rivers and lakes. But If I could only pick one, it would be coastal. Living in an inland city would drive me crazy.

Old 05-29-2009, 08:42 PM

13,350 posts, read 39,946,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
Which do you prefer? You can include cities from around the world.

I prefer the coastal cities in the U.S. but I prefer the inland cities when you expand the choices around the world.

Favorite coastal cities:
New York City
Los Angeles
Miami
Honk Kong
Vancouver
Amsterdam

Favorite river cities:
Paris

Favorite Lake side cities:
Chicago

Favorite inland cities:
Las Vegas
Austin
Denver
Moscow

I like New Orleans but I'm not sure what category to place it in.

Also, the cities should be well known for the category they are placed in since most cities have rivers and such.
Interesting list, but I wouldn't catagorize Paris as a river city, particularly since you have Moscow as an inland city even though both cities are located on comparable, small, largely ornamental rivers.

New Orleans would definitely be a river city. New Orleans wasn't just built along a river; the river is the lifeblood of the city. Whereas Paris would still be Paris even if the Seine were to dry up, New Orleans would cease to exist of the Mississippi were to disappear.

My favorite river city would probably be Montreal.

Old 05-29-2009, 08:57 PM

1,991 posts, read 3,968,139 times
I chose river city, but really I like most any city with a green waterfront public space of decent size. I've done the beach thing, I've lived in Atlantic Florida and I've lived in Gulf coast Alabama (day trips to gulf coast Florida). After a while, sand and sea became sand and sea. It became a thing where ok, here's the sand, here's the ocean, been there, done that, it's beautiful, don't need to see it every day, ok with seeing it once a year kind of thing.

But I never get tired of a good riverwalk like San Antonio's or a good lakewalk like Chicago's, especially with Navy Pier and the Aquarium and all. Actually my favorite part of Miami Beach wasn't the beach but rather the Lincoln Road Mall. Nice quaint happening spots like that is what I can't get enough of, as opposed to sitting out in the sun with sand in my toes. Plus often those types of spots are more conducive to kayaking.

My favorite city in the world is Paris, but the city I'd most like to live in is Marseilles, which is obviously coastal, but mediterranean coastal, which is more than just sand and sea. I love Amsterdam too, which is coastal but which, because of its seemingly endless canals, mimics a river city, as if a lot of small rivers are flowing through the city. San Francisco is my favorite US city, with Denver a very very close second. So obviously I'm not a river-only kind of person, but the things that make me love places like San Francisco and Marseilles have nothing to do with sand, and in fact if there were no sand there but only green grass before you get to the water, I'd still love them exactly the same, maybe even more.

Old 05-29-2009, 09:06 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,239,989 times
I remember reading that one reason people in crowded urban areas like living on a coast (or a great lake) is because it gives wide open undeveloped views. Deep inside our brains (supposedly) urbanites need natural landscapes or seascapes to look at. For instance the ocean for the most part cannot be paved over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City