Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2009, 09:11 PM

157 posts, read 397,918 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daytonnatian View Post
Disclaimer: Yes, the north is also home to vast amounts of suburbia and fat people. I realize that and I am not attacking the south, I am just simply suggesting the fat road is one that ould not be wise to go down. Economics and politics always seem to work better....
I've lived in all 4 of the regions of this country. I do know there are fat people and sprawl everywhere......I was simply providing a response to an absolutely illogical and pointless comment made by one of the constant Florida-bashers.

Re the person who said that "they can't find anything good about the Sun Belt." Look, I'm no fan of the Rust Belt, and I make no big secret about that. But there definitely *are* many redeeming qualities about the region, and I have no problem understanding why so many people want to remain there. Having grown up there, it will be a truly frigid day in Hell before I move back. But if I said that there were "absolutely no redeeming qualities about the Rust Belt", I would expose myself as, more or less, a troll, a clown, and a bit of an idiot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2009, 04:30 AM

7,845 posts, read 20,805,239 times
Quote:
Odd arguements floating around on here, but whatever. Time to settle this.

Okay, I'm not sure about the nudity arguement, but yeah, you have no ground on the fat arguement. The south is the land of supersizing, covering stuff in gravy, "old-fashioned home cooking! With fresh lard off of that there cow!!!!!!", obesity, and a general attitude that does not promote physical exercise. (again, the definition of Suburbia on many accounts). Also, the south is the only place you can find high-lard chains like Rally's (or Checkers) and Hardee's still in existence, or doughnut shops that were not killed by the health crazes of the 1990's. Heck, the last time I drove through NC, I stopped off at Arby's for breakfast and got BISCUTS AND GRAVY for breakfast, which is barely even available in Ohio, much less at fast-sood restraunts that offer limited breakfast selections, just to give y'all an idea.....
Stop making things up...there are 800 Checkers/Rally's locations in 28 states...Dunkin Donuts and Krispy Kreme are all over the U.S...

Biscuits with gravy is on Arby's standard menu and is not unique to N.C. or the South. Arby's Menu

There are quite a few Hardee's located outside of the South...Nationwide Hardee's locations:

Locations | Hardee’s

Quote:
Houston is also consistently ranked as the nation's fattest city, and one viewing of "Super Size Me" will tell you why, and other southern cities, such as Atlanta, Dallas, and Nashville frequently follow suit. Still, I guess we got Philly, so ..... yeah. Take that and run with it.
As you can see, Houston is #6 on the fattest list (not #1); neither Atlanta, Nashville are in the top 25 fattest cities...but both are in the top 25 fittest cities. The cities on each list represent all regions, with several southern cities making the fittest list.

America's Fittest Cities 2009...according to Men's Fitness Magazine:
1. Salt Lake City, UT
2. Colorado Springs, CO
3. Minneapolis, MN
4. Denver, CO
5. Albuquerque, NM
6. Portland, OR
7. Honolulu, HI
8. Seattle, WA
9. Omaha, NE
10. Virginia Beach, VA
11. Milwaukee, WI
12. San Francisco, CA
13. Tucson, AZ
14. Boston, MA
15. Cleveland, OH
16. St. Louis, MO
17. Austin, TX
18. Washington, DC
19. Sacramento, CA
20. Oakland, CA
21. Atlanta, GA
22. Fresno, CA
23. Tampa, FL
24. Nashville-Davidson, TN
25. Pittsburgh, PA

America's Fattest Cities 2009...according to Men's Fitness Magazine:
1. Miami, FL
2. Oklahoma City, OK
3. San Antonio, TX
4. Las Vegas, NV
5. New York, NY
6. Houston, TX
7. El Paso, TX
8. Jacksonville, FL
9. Charlotte, NC
10. Louisville-Jefferson, KY
11. Memphis, TN
12. Detroit, MI
13. Chicago, IL
14. Dallas-Fort Worth, TX
15. San Jose, CA
16. Tulsa, OK
17. Baltimore, MD
18. Columbus, OH
19. Raleigh, NC
20. Philadelphia, PA
21. L.A.-Long Beach, CA
22. Phoenix-Mesa, AZ
23. Indianapolis, IN
24. San Diego, CA
25. Kansas City, MO
The Fittest and Fattest Cities in America 2009 - Men's Fitness

Old 07-10-2009, 05:04 AM

1,247 posts, read 3,862,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Stop making things up...there are 800 Checkers/Rally's locations in 28 states...Dunkin Donuts and Krispy Kreme are all over the U.S...

Biscuits with gravy is on Arby's standard menu and is not unique to N.C. or the South. Arby's Menu

There are quite a few Hardee's located outside of the South...Nationwide Hardee's locations:

Locations | Hardee’s

As you can see, Houston is #6 on the fattest list (not #1); neither Atlanta, Nashville are in the top 25 fattest cities...but both are in the top 25 fittest cities. The cities on each list represent all regions, with several southern cities making the fittest list.

America's Fittest Cities 2009...according to Men's Fitness Magazine:
1. Salt Lake City, UT
2. Colorado Springs, CO
3. Minneapolis, MN
4. Denver, CO
5. Albuquerque, NM
6. Portland, OR
7. Honolulu, HI
8. Seattle, WA
9. Omaha, NE
10. Virginia Beach, VA
11. Milwaukee, WI
12. San Francisco, CA
13. Tucson, AZ
14. Boston, MA
15. Cleveland, OH
16. St. Louis, MO
17. Austin, TX
18. Washington, DC
19. Sacramento, CA
20. Oakland, CA
21. Atlanta, GA
22. Fresno, CA
23. Tampa, FL
24. Nashville-Davidson, TN
25. Pittsburgh, PA

America's Fattest Cities 2009...according to Men's Fitness Magazine:
1. Miami, FL
2. Oklahoma City, OK
3. San Antonio, TX
4. Las Vegas, NV
5. New York, NY
6. Houston, TX
7. El Paso, TX
8. Jacksonville, FL
9. Charlotte, NC
10. Louisville-Jefferson, KY
11. Memphis, TN
12. Detroit, MI
13. Chicago, IL
14. Dallas-Fort Worth, TX
15. San Jose, CA
16. Tulsa, OK
17. Baltimore, MD
18. Columbus, OH
19. Raleigh, NC
20. Philadelphia, PA
21. L.A.-Long Beach, CA
22. Phoenix-Mesa, AZ
23. Indianapolis, IN
24. San Diego, CA
25. Kansas City, MO
The Fittest and Fattest Cities in America 2009 - Men's Fitness
Yes, there are Krispy Kreme's and Dunkin' doughnuts all over america, mailnly due to the fact that they had a major growth effort in many regions of the US recently. I also know that every local Rally's location and all Hrdee's locations but about 2 have closed. And, it is impossible to get biscuits and gravy at any local Arby's location up here, the only restraunt where that's a menu option is Bob Evans, which is from southeastern Ohio.

Also, if you look at your fattest cities list... 9 of the top 10 are in the south, and the "north" (just to give a broader area that will be comparable in population the the south.... this means all that is east of the Mississippi, north of the Ohio) hosts 1 of the top 10 and 7 of the top 25. The south hosts 9 of the top 10 and 14 of the top 25. Even among those who look upon the region favorably (which is most, and yes, I am becoming more ambivalent about it), they view it as a fat region due to lifestyle and food choices.

Again, I'm not saying all and everybody is, but your food choices were ingrained into your region's heritage long ago, and the suburban lifestyle is now. However, with NYC ranking so highly......

Old 07-10-2009, 07:29 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,156,607 times
To the OP, I'll offer this...
THE SUN

Old 07-10-2009, 07:39 AM

174 posts, read 403,853 times
Quote:
The south is the land of supersizing, covering stuff in gravy, "old-fashioned home cooking! With fresh lard off of that there cow!!!!!!", obesity, and a general attitude that does not promote physical exercise. (again, the definition of Suburbia on many accounts). Also, the south is the only place you can find high-lard chains like Rally's (or Checkers) and Hardee's still in existence, or doughnut shops that were not killed by the health crazes of the 1990's. Heck, the last time I drove through NC, I stopped off at Arby's for breakfast and got BISCUTS AND GRAVY for breakfast, which is barely even available in Ohio, much less at fast-sood restraunts that offer limited breakfast selections, just to give y'all an idea.....
No offense, but like I said before, I grew up 20 minutes from Dayton, and if you don't think that describes your area to a "T" then you are a fool.

Old 07-10-2009, 07:42 AM

Daytonian,

Just read your next post...oops....my bad.

Old 07-10-2009, 08:23 AM

You know guys, this thread has really gotten ugly. And really for no reason. People are entitled to their opinions and preferences. If we all liked the same things then life would be extremely boring. But why is it necessary to insult each other's homes, just because it's not the place for us? If we like our home, then it is human nature to get defensive and sometimes offensive, when someone attacks the place we have chosen to call home.

Anyways, in an attempt to try to get this thread back on track....

I grew up in the rust belt, between Cincy and Dayton. I loved my home, didn't mind the weather, never thought about leaving. Then one day, just on a whim, I thought let's try something new.

Much like many of you that are constantly bashing the South, I too had a general perception of what life would offer in the southern half of the country - and it was't good. Moving south was never an interest of mine. Then, for some reason, I thought I'd give Charlotte a try. I figured, I'll live there 2 years or so, then move back. But as time went on, my preferences started to change. All of a sudden, the gray skies back home started to annoy me, the harsher winters became a pain in the butt, and the struggling economies and somewhat depressed (mostly because of the closing industries) population started to wear on me. The longer I was away, the less I thought about ever going back.

Now 11 years later, I find my sunbelt city of Charlotte, NC, to be the place I want to spend the rest of my life. If I were to relocate, I'd prefer to stay South, although, there are several northern cities in which I could live happily. But my new personal preferences in life, lead me south.

So why is the sunbelt so great? For many it's a fresh start - something new. For others it's a prospering economy or the chance to be part of the evolution of a new city. Some of us like the warmer weather, the feeling of the sun on our skin more days than not. Some of us like the extra months that we get to be outdoors without bundling up. Maybe it's the proximity to the ocean, or the desert or a mountain range. Maybe some don't like the way the cold or the moisture effects the joints of their body. Some like being introduced to a new culture and way of life.....

I could go on and on, but bottom line, people have personal preferences in life. And given the freedom of choice, they will choose to go to the place that will meet their desires the best. For many, that place is the sunbelt.

Old 07-10-2009, 09:08 AM

8,615 posts, read 10,143,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCbyChoice View Post
You know guys, this thread has really gotten ugly. And really for no reason. People are entitled to their opinions and preferences. If we all liked the same things then life would be extremely boring. But why is it necessary to insult each other's homes, just because it's not the place for us? If we like our home, then it is human nature to get defensive and sometimes offensive, when someone attacks the place we have chosen to call home.

Anyways, in an attempt to try to get this thread back on track....

I grew up in the rust belt, between Cincy and Dayton. I loved my home, didn't mind the weather, never thought about leaving. Then one day, just on a whim, I thought let's try something new.

Much like many of you that are constantly bashing the South, I too had a general perception of what life would offer in the southern half of the country - and it was't good. Moving south was never an interest of mine. Then, for some reason, I thought I'd give Charlotte a try. I figured, I'll live there 2 years or so, then move back. But as time went on, my preferences started to change. All of a sudden, the gray skies back home started to annoy me, the harsher winters became a pain in the butt, and the struggling economies and somewhat depressed (mostly because of the closing industries) population started to wear on me. The longer I was away, the less I thought about ever going back.

Now 11 years later, I find my sunbelt city of Charlotte, NC, to be the place I want to spend the rest of my life. If I were to relocate, I'd prefer to stay South, although, there are several northern cities in which I could live happily. But my new personal preferences in life, lead me south.

So why is the sunbelt so great? For many it's a fresh start - something new. For others it's a prospering economy or the chance to be part of the evolution of a new city. Some of us like the warmer weather, the feeling of the sun on our skin more days than not. Some of us like the extra months that we get to be outdoors without bundling up. Maybe it's the proximity to the ocean, or the desert or a mountain range. Maybe some don't like the way the cold or the moisture effects the joints of their body. Some like being introduced to a new culture and way of life.....

I could go on and on, but bottom line, people have personal preferences in life. And given the freedom of choice, they will choose to go to the place that will meet their desires the best. For many, that place is the sunbelt.
Excellent post.

A couple of things you touched on really made sense to me. One, the opportunity for a fresh start. The other, being part of the evolution of a new city. While it's true that a city is always evolving, there is something special about being in a place that is truly experiencing growing pains, or a re-birth.

Old 07-10-2009, 09:25 AM

6,041 posts, read 11,469,840 times
The people that are pointing out how fat people don't cover up in the Sunbelt are leaving out something important. The number of attractive people that wear revealing clothing more than make up for the fat people.

Old 07-10-2009, 09:31 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,639,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
boring. No 4 seasons = boring. Same weather, same scenery, no change. Cannot tell June from January.

Boring.
My dog can tell the difference between June and January in Florida.

If a human can not that just gives us insight into their intelligence level.

Last edited by CaseyB; 07-10-2009 at 01:16 PM.. Reason: insulting
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City