Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2010, 10:06 PM

705 posts, read 1,662,787 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelwoman View Post
It ain't the fact that y'all are that way. It's the fact that whenever y'all talk 'bout your state, you have egos. Ain't that the question? Who has the biggest egos? NY & California.
So going by sterotypes, texas should be right in the middle of the big mouth states, am I right? I would say Texas,Ca, New York are all known for being brash.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2010, 10:15 PM

389 posts, read 777,476 times
Hey, if I didn't listen to the media, I obviously wouldn't know as much as I do 'bout New York & California, now would I? Maybe it's you who care's so much 'bout the media, because if I would've simply gone to California without any knolege 'bout it @ all, maybe I would see it as a much nicer place. I ain't no different than anyone else in other parts of the country who define California. How many times do you see Wyoming, Colorado, & Utah on TV?

Old 06-24-2010, 10:48 PM

1,214 posts, read 2,521,945 times
Quote:
Hey, if I didn't listen to the media, I obviously wouldn't know as much as I do 'bout New York & California, now would I? Maybe it's you who care's so much 'bout the media, because if I would've simply gone to California without any knolege 'bout it @ all, maybe I would see it as a much nicer place. I ain't no different than anyone else in other parts of the country who define California. How many times do you see Wyoming, Colorado, & Utah on TV?
Ok, now I see your problem. You think cause California and New York are on TV and stuff all the time, that it's because of the huge egos of the people in those states?

Just cause Utah's not on TV all the time you think they have no pride or arrogance? Let me try with something a lil closer to me. You don't see New Hampshire on TV often do you? Well I can tell you first hand, despite that fact, it doesn't somehow stop em from having tons of pride in their state there, which they do have alot of. Then I've met people from more rural areas of the northern New England states that look down on us city people and our lives. Just cause their states weren't in the media all the time didn't stop them from being arrogant.

I mean, do you think all the media is focused here and there cause our collective arrogance and will and wish was to be seen by everyone? That's just where the media is. What do you think it would be like if it was all centered in Texas? Another thing you need to realize is, TV isn't even close to real life. The California and New York and really any place you see on TV doesn't exist. Most of any of the knowledge you get on TV about anything is crap. According to alot of TV, I'd expect Texas to be one giant empty ranch and a buncha yeehawin, gun shootin in the air cowboys who spend all day at the rodeo. We know that isn't true.

And I'll repeat myself on this. The way you lump all of New York together really makes me doubt you know what you're talking about at all, cause if someone from upstate is looking down on anyone, it's usually NYC, and it tends to reciprocate.

Old 06-24-2010, 11:14 PM

Haha, I love how ya keep me on my toes. & I'll repeat myself on this: I don't watch much TV @ all. If ya wanna know where I get most of my information, I've been everywhere I talk about. I don't base things only on what I've heard. If I did that, I'd be pissing people off a lot more than I already am. haha

True, I don't live in NY. I've stayed for months @ a time passing through. I have many friends from New York, 50% who are down to earth good hearted country folks, & 50% who are complete high-maintenance freaks. So clearly, Darlin', I have nothin' against New Yorkers, & I don't lump 'em all together. Still, out of every other state in America, New York definitely is home to some of the most cocky people out there. Is that better? Please let me know if it's not.

Jessie

Old 06-24-2010, 11:35 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,853,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calisnuffy View Post
So going by sterotypes, texas should be right in the middle of the big mouth states, am I right? I would say Texas,Ca, New York are all known for being brash.
but the difference is that texans are usually playful about it, and don't intend for you to take it seriously. most californians and new yorkers are dead serious in their bragging

Old 06-25-2010, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Haha, I love how ya keep me on my toes. & I'll repeat myself on this: I don't watch much TV @ all. If ya wanna know where I get most of my information, I've been everywhere I talk about. I don't base things only on what I've heard. If I did that, I'd be pissing people off a lot more than I already am. haha

True, I don't live in NY. I've stayed for months @ a time passing through. I have many friends from New York, 50% who are down to earth good hearted country folks, & 50% who are complete high-maintenance freaks. So clearly, Darlin', I have nothin' against New Yorkers, & I don't lump 'em all together. Still, out of every other state in America, New York definitely is home to some of the most cocky people out there. Is that better? Please let me know if it's not.

Jessie
Well actually, it was. And I'll agree NY has some of the most cocky people out there, I just don't think that it's any more than Texas, California, and a buncha other places. Or I guess I mean, If someone was gonna rank em all, I don't think NY would be number 1, or at least, it'd be tied with alotta company.

Old 06-25-2010, 12:11 AM

Yes, I agree. Tell me if I'm right on or way off:

Most Cocky to Least Cocky:
1. California
2. New York
3. Florida
4. New Jersey
5. Washington

etc

Yes?

Jessie

Old 06-25-2010, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Yes, I agree. Tell me if I'm right on or way off:

Most Cocky to Least Cocky:
1. California
2. New York
3. Florida
4. New Jersey
5. Washington

etc

Yes?

Jessie
I don't know if I could rank em against each other. But these are my top picks in no particular order.

New York- mainly NYC, Texas, California, Massachusetts, Georgia- with alot from Atlantans, Washington- mainly Seattle, Illinois- mainly Chicago, New Hampshire/Maine- believe it or not, Connecticut- the parts more closely associated with NYC and MA, Virginia, and North Carolina

This is based on people I met, and I guess I haven't met enough arrogant Floridians. It never struck me as overly proud. And for New Jersey, half the talking we do is cause of how much we get ragged on, more than anyone else I think. Everyone talks down at Jersey, than says we have big egos when we try to defend it.

Old 06-25-2010, 01:51 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,964,799 times
Texas and New York. Californians tend to be humble from a state view, most of the "COCKY" Californians are just rich, and have a "better than you" attitude regarding there WEALTH, and class rather than there STATE. And with a state as beautiful as Cali, they have the MOST right out of any state to be cocky in my honest opinion.

Old 06-25-2010, 02:05 AM

10,138 posts, read 16,064,454 times
I'm from Chicago and my city is the shizz nit, we're the freakin center of the universe, the proof is the fact that coast to coast we've got great fly time.
Eff Illinois- that cow state holding us back, we're better than our state, we make up the states everything, we should be the capital of the the USA not that one horse town DC.
We're the ****ing best and we know it, everyone else is just jealous- you may now cry because you are from an inferior place. I will leave you to your tears.
We run this country!

That's my Chicgoan display of arrogance. (Note I was just kidding in this post- but showing how we daily think of ourselves)

And people from NYC and every other big city in the country sound the exact same way we do... we've all got the same mentality going on.

Last edited by DANNYY; 06-25-2010 at 02:15 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City