Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2010, 12:48 PM

965 posts, read 1,887,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Well it's better than us being miserable and depressed about where we live. Anyway, I've never noticed this exaggerated Texas pride thing people speak of. It must be a white person thing.

Says one of the most provincial Texans on this board. Like you're always telling people, look in a mirror.

As always, I rest my case. The queen has spoken.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2010, 12:51 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,236,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overcooked_Oatmeal View Post
I guess you don't know any black people from Detroit, Philadelphia or New York City.
Your the last person that should be addressing anyone about belittling others and other states. You live off insulting Texas and its people.

Old 06-07-2010, 12:53 PM

2,247 posts, read 7,033,766 times
Quote:
I guess you don't know any black people from Detroit, Philadelphia or New York City.
What irony. I have an aunt from Philadelphia, an uncle from New York, and my best friend from college was from the actual city of Detroit. All of them are Black.

None of them ever mentioned how awesome those cities were, or felt compelled to put down other cities.

They are also upper-middle class Blacks, not exactly the type to celebrate high murder rates in cities.

Why would they need to? Only city geeks like us care about boosting cities, or celebrating high murder rates. (You can find that in the hood, too, but people who do that are just ignorant.)

This website is nowhere near a microcosm of the general American population.

Old 06-07-2010, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Your the last person that should be addressing anyone about belittling others and other states. You live off insulting Texas and its people.
Okay, and? If anything, I'd be one of the main ones to point it out. Misery loves company after all

Old 06-07-2010, 12:58 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,236,937 times
Quote:
Okay, and? If anything, I'd be one of the main ones to point it out. Misery loves company after all
So this is how Queens spend a lovely Monday afternoon??? You must be very busy.

Old 06-07-2010, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts View Post
What irony. I have an aunt from Philadelphia, an uncle from New York, and my best friend from college was from the actual city of Detroit. All of them are Black.

None of them ever mentioned how awesome those cities were, or felt compelled to put down other cities.

They are also upper-middle class Blacks, not exactly the type to celebrate high murder rates in cities.

Why would they need to? Only city geeks like us care about boosting cities, or celebrating high murder rates. (You can find that in the hood, too, but people who do that are just ignorant.)

This website is nowhere near a microcosm of the general American population.

I know of people from the same cities who say ignorant things about the South too. Talking about how they'd never be able to live down south, and yet know nothing of the region or ever been there. I say at least live or visit down there to insult it the right way

Or those who are angry at those who have chosen to leave Detroit to go to greener, safer pastures and since the South is such a popular destination, there are some bitter resentments towards them.

Old 06-07-2010, 01:02 PM

Quote:
So this is how Queens spend a lovely Monday afternoon??? You must be very busy.
Indeed I am. I am merely a ship passing through for now. I have some proposal writing, tutoring, spin class and only a few hours to do it. I have some Golden Girls DVD viewing later on. My "shero" Rue McClanahan went up to that big cheesecake table in the sky along with Bea and Estelle. A queen has been in mourning.

Old 06-07-2010, 01:05 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,535,266 times
Default re: george bush

Quote:
Actually they are both from the north........Fail.

what are you, a bush denier? Texas has and still does rep the Bushes for the greater part of 3 decades dude...
He was your GOVERNOR from 95-2000, he owned the texas rangers, he has a giant ranch there and now lives outside of Dallas.

BUSH=TEXAS more than any other political figure since LBJ

don't even try it...

How you are from TX and don't know this baffles me.

Old 06-07-2010, 01:30 PM

101 posts, read 275,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
please tell me you're not using your time in DFW to judge all of texas? because that makes no sense. DFW is one small corner of a HUGE, diverse state (which is indeed beautiful)

you do have some radical texans, but with MOST of us residents, that whole "everything is bigger in texas" is all in good fun and isn't meant to be taken to heart. now, don't get me wrong; texans do have a lot to be proud of, but do we actually think we're better than everyone else? no.
Point taken. I hope it is all in good fun. But it's not just DFW, I've been to Austin (best city in TX, IMO) and San Antonio too, (would love to make it to Houston eventually to see what it's like) and I'm also basing my opinion on Texans I meet here and there, see on T.V., articles I've read, etc... The whole Texas pride thing is pretty pervasive, so I guess hats off to the people for marketing themselves.

It's interesting that you mention the "corner" that is DFW, because I really think my family and friends there truly view the world through a DFW lens. My really close cousin particularly is obnoxious about it, making gross generalizations about Texans and the rest of the world. This is a girl who has a Masters degree and has traveled Europe and Asia, but for instance, when she visited me in SF, she was blown away by our garden. "No one in Texas does THAT [keeps a nice garden.]" And noticing there are no brick houses, (because of earthquakes) she said "All Texas houses are made of brick" something she has said many times over the years visiting me in Michigan and NYC, etc. where architecture is different. There are other examples I can give, but it's always "Texans are this, Texans do it this way" etc. I wonder if she's explored her own state! But anyway, I think many DFW people think they are the center of the universe, and conversely, many outsiders are tempted to view DFW as Texas itself, something I've noticed in other threads...

Old 06-07-2010, 02:13 PM

1,080 posts, read 2,270,828 times
MN and WI are both way up there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City