Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2010, 10:18 AM

624 posts, read 906,899 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal44 View Post
Point taken. I hope it is all in good fun. But it's not just DFW, I've been to Austin (best city in TX, IMO) and San Antonio too, (would love to make it to Houston eventually to see what it's like) and I'm also basing my opinion on Texans I meet here and there, see on T.V., articles I've read, etc... The whole Texas pride thing is pretty pervasive, so I guess hats off to the people for marketing themselves.

It's interesting that you mention the "corner" that is DFW, because I really think my family and friends there truly view the world through a DFW lens. My really close cousin particularly is obnoxious about it, making gross generalizations about Texans and the rest of the world. This is a girl who has a Masters degree and has traveled Europe and Asia, but for instance, when she visited me in SF, she was blown away by our garden. "No one in Texas does THAT [keeps a nice garden.]" And noticing there are no brick houses, (because of earthquakes) she said "All Texas houses are made of brick" something she has said many times over the years visiting me in Michigan and NYC, etc. where architecture is different. There are other examples I can give, but it's always "Texans are this, Texans do it this way" etc. I wonder if she's explored her own state! But anyway, I think many DFW people think they are the center of the universe, and conversely, many outsiders are tempted to view DFW as Texas itself, something I've noticed in other threads...
Texans aren't well traveled, depends on who you are talking to. I live in San Antonio and have been to 39 states and will be the first one to say the northeast US scenery beats Texas. Your cousin's comment that all Texas houses are made of brick is just plain stupid, there made of wood, stucco, cinder block, siding, brick etc. like anywhere else in the US. I admit to not being a native but have lived here since elementary school and view the whole Texas pride thing as a joke and not to be taken seriously. The "don't mess with Texas" and "litterring is unlAWFUL" are anti litter campaign signs seen on TX freeways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2010, 11:17 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,755,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal44 View Post

It's interesting that you mention the "corner" that is DFW, because I really think my family and friends there truly view the world through a DFW lens. My really close cousin particularly is obnoxious about it, making gross generalizations about Texans and the rest of the world. This is a girl who has a Masters degree and has traveled Europe and Asia, but for instance, when she visited me in SF, she was blown away by our garden. "No one in Texas does THAT [keeps a nice garden.]" And noticing there are no brick houses, (because of earthquakes) she said "All Texas houses are made of brick" something she has said many times over the years visiting me in Michigan and NYC, etc. where architecture is different. There are other examples I can give, but it's always "Texans are this, Texans do it this way" etc. I wonder if she's explored her own state! But anyway, I think many DFW people think they are the center of the universe, and conversely, many outsiders are tempted to view DFW as Texas itself, something I've noticed in other threads...
A gross generalization.

Did you know that 53% of DFW was not born in Texas at all (18% of DFW was born in another country and 35% of DFW was born in another state)? That is a higher out of state birth rate than Houston or San Antonio.

Just because your family has some idiots, dont throw the rest of DFW in that boat. Texans are extremely prideful and that can come off as being obnoxious. Thats something that doesnt change anywhere in the state. It took a while to get used to. Good lord, I know Bay Area people who do the exact same thing that youre accusing people from DFW of doing. I have family there too. I grew up with my cousins (who are from Brisbane, by SFO airport) always telling me how trashy LA is and how they could never understand how I lived there. They also had the nerve to tell me they thought LA was pretentious. But I am not going to make generalizations on the whole area based on the fact that my cousins are morons.

Old 06-18-2010, 11:30 AM

1,416 posts, read 3,212,871 times
Great Lakes people. Except Illinois and Indiana

Old 06-18-2010, 12:51 PM

624 posts, read 906,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLABoyJ View Post
Great Lakes people. Except Illinois and Indiana
The thing I found strange at least on CD was some of the Chicagoans having complete disdain for Illinois outside of Chicagoland, especially downstate. According to them it's all hicks and farmers. I have several relatives from Springfield and lived there too and didn't hear them criticize either area but did have pride for Illinois but not over the top.

Last edited by BillyH; 06-18-2010 at 01:03 PM..

Old 06-18-2010, 01:51 PM

12,498 posts, read 27,001,243 times
Texas, California, & New York all have big egos & with reason in acting as such. They are the largest economic producers this country.

Old 06-18-2010, 10:51 PM

580 posts, read 1,081,997 times
California

Old 06-19-2010, 06:17 PM

4,515 posts, read 9,703,049 times
Ny

Old 06-19-2010, 06:54 PM

937 posts, read 927,879 times
New York... The city (not you Buffalo) has earned the right to, but that ego is huge.
And from the people I've met, Virginia.

Old 06-20-2010, 02:53 AM

4,435 posts, read 6,307,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts View Post
I think there's some truth to this. I honestly have never heard any of my Black friends or family boost up their own cities/states, let alone belittle other cities/states.
Dont know any black folks in Atlanta, NY, Chicago, DC?

Old 06-20-2010, 03:03 AM

4,435 posts, read 6,307,587 times
People in Texas are very proud of what there is here but I have never heard anyone put down another place or someone for being from another place. Now if you go up north and say you live in a southern state watch out, it will start hitting the fan! And the George Bush comments get really old. That is one person out of 25 million that lives in Texas. No one seems to care that the governor of California is Terminator lol. Also, a lot of homes in Texas are in fact built with brick or stone because of the intense heat for long periods throughout the year. It keeps the home cooler and is less maintenance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City