Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2010, 06:15 AM

5,509 posts, read 11,886,979 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
People in Texas are very proud of what there is here but I have never heard anyone put down another place or someone for being from another place. Now if you go up north and say you live in a southern state watch out, it will start hitting the fan! And the George Bush comments get really old. That is one person out of 25 million that lives in Texas. No one seems to care that the governor of California is Terminator lol. Also, a lot of homes in Texas are in fact built with brick or stone because of the intense heat for long periods throughout the year. It keeps the home cooler and is less maintenance.
Total BS! I was in Texas for a weekend in Austin and I could not hear the end of it when I told people I met that I was from Minnesota. Ignorant comments came flying from all directions. I'd call your experience a biased perspective, but how would you know unless you've seen it both ways, I guess?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2010, 06:23 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,765,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
Total BS! I was in Texas for a weekend in Austin and I could not hear the end of it when I told people I met that I was from Minnesota. Ignorant comments came flying from all directions. I'd call your experience a biased perspective, but how would you know unless you've seen it both ways, I guess?
I was in Austin a couple of weeks ago and I go a lot the same when I told them I was from Dallas. Austinites can be a "hollier than thou" bunch.

Old 06-21-2010, 06:40 AM

That's strange, actually!

Old 06-21-2010, 06:48 AM

186 posts, read 219,266 times
New York.

Although I've never lived anywhere else, so I can't compare. Although perhaps that proves my answer...

Old 06-21-2010, 10:17 AM

1,178 posts, read 2,708,726 times
Quote:

Same thing happened to me down there. I said I was from MN while meeting people, and then eventually I just let them figure it out by my accent. What a bunch of ignorants....

Following things I heard just in 3 days...

"Do ya even get ESPN up in Minnesota"
"Yeah, that's because ya can't do that in the snow" (I was referencing how soccer isn't that big in MN, or the USA for that matter)
"....It's because you're from Minnesota"
"...best thing to come outta Minnesota? - I35"

Old 06-21-2010, 10:30 AM

6,625 posts, read 14,469,997 times
Damn, that's pretty ignorant.

Old 06-21-2010, 10:43 AM

1,178 posts, read 2,708,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
Damn, that's pretty ignorant.
Oh well, could have happened anywhere...
If it means anything, some of the nicest people I met were from TX... My best friend growing up was from TX too.. LOL.

But, they did have that 'state ego'. Oh well, it's not a bad thing to have pride.

Old 06-21-2010, 10:46 AM

705 posts, read 1,662,787 times
Part of my family lives in Texas, they are very humble and generous , they are much better people than the rest of my family .

Old 06-21-2010, 11:36 AM

5,429 posts, read 14,850,422 times
Quote:
Total BS! I was in Texas for a weekend in Austin and I could not hear the end of it when I told people I met that I was from Minnesota. Ignorant comments came flying from all directions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
I was in Austin a couple of weeks ago and I go a lot the same when I told them I was from Dallas. Austinites can be a "hollier than thou" bunch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Cann View Post
Same thing happened to me down there.
Man, I'm sorry.
But I have to say when I lived in Austin, I got all sorts of terrible comments upon announcing I was moving to Houston. Others I have known have said that when they moved to Austin from elsewhere, it was basically implied to get down and kiss the ground that was Austin. Probably exaggerated some, but still. From my own experience, many of the Austinites think it's the only place in Texas (and the south) worth living, can be shockingly ignorant of areas outside of Austin and within their own state, and so you will hear some of these silly comments. Unfortunately, the media seems to agree with them and so that just throws more gasoline on the fire in apparently validating their holier-than-thou views (sometimes referred to down here as Austitude).

But please, don't let one bad experience generalize to all of Texas!

Last edited by AK123; 06-21-2010 at 12:07 PM..

Old 06-21-2010, 11:53 AM

Okay, that's fair!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City