Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer??
New York style hotdog 63 37.50%
Chicago style hotdog 105 62.50%
Voters: 168. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2009, 08:15 AM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,734,977 times

Advertisements

so...by reading the guy's post, i see a common factor in his decision...
toppings.

toppings don't make the frank, IMHO. the taste of the frank makes the frank.

a hotdog doesn't need bacon bits, croutons, oil and vinegar, oregano, tomato juice and powdered sugar to be good.

and the snap is a beautiful part of the ny hot dog. don't underestimate it.

you take a frank from ny, put it in the bun and serve it. you take a hot dog from chicago, put it in the bun and serve it. no toppings for either frank. the one from ny tastes better. it is what it is.

if you wanna add all kinds of toppings on it to try to make up for it, cool. ppl add ketchup to bad tasting things all the top. that and hot sauce.

and for every game the bulls won in their run, the yankees have won 42432432 many more.
chicago should probably should not talk about sports.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2009, 08:22 AM

2,705 posts, read 8,272,299 times
Pbergen's post was incredibly insightful, not to mention pretty darn accurate, so to those 2 posters who snubbed their noses at the post ... grow up. Oh wait ... was it the NJ mentions that got your undergarments in a bunch. Sheesh. Insecure people.

As a NJ/NYC guy myself, I will say that NYers have a REALLY tough time being second place in anything, and it is kind of annoying. Guys, Chicago-style hot dogs blow NYC hot dogs out of the water, it is not even close. Just let Chicago win, lol. A NY hot dog, like I and many others have said, is not even definable. It's a basic dog. The reason that "NY Hot Dogs" are "famous", is because of the QUANTITY (not quality) of street carts that sell the things. So basically, a hot dog stand is as "New York", as a yellow taxi cab ... it's just a very common sight on the streets, so it became iconic.

Old 09-17-2009, 08:23 AM

4,079 posts, read 10,395,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
so...by reading the guy's post, i see a common factor in his decision...
toppings.

toppings don't make the frank, IMHO. the taste of the frank makes the frank.

a hotdog doesn't need bacon bits, croutons, oil and vinegar, oregano, tomato juice and powdered sugar to be good.

and the snap is a beautiful part of the ny hot dog. don't underestimate it.

you take a frank from ny, put it in the bun and serve it. you take a hot dog from chicago, put it in the bun and serve it. no toppings for either frank. the one from ny tastes better. it is what it is.

if you wanna add all kinds of toppings on it to try to make up for it, cool.

and for every game the bulls won in their run, the yankees have won 42432432 many more.
chicago should probably should not talk about sports.
Great you put baseball up against basketball- seeing that baseball plays damn near 100 more games a year than basketball you make a lot of sense

Old 09-17-2009, 08:32 AM

3,235 posts, read 8,717,534 times
Quote:

The one from NY tastes better? According to who? Who made you the king of what is better and what is not. Apparently plenty of people find Chicago hot dogs better. NYC hot dogs wouldn't even be in my top 5

Old 09-17-2009, 08:34 AM
eek

so those guys out there selling peanuts on every other corner are iconic too?
ny has the best tasting sugar coated cashews?
oh ok.

*nyc has that jordan hatred*

so good that ppl want it to be bad.

Old 09-17-2009, 09:05 AM

2,856 posts, read 4,619,925 times
Quote:
so those guys out there selling peanuts on every other corner are iconic too?
ny has the best tasting sugar coated cashews?
oh ok.

*nyc has that jordan hatred*

so good that ppl want it to be bad.

OMG...people are still ignorant in this day and age! You can't seriously think that..I mean come on outside of the NE, no one really talks about NYC...I know here in Houston, there's no one hating on NYC, no need to.

You need to come out of that state of mind because it's making you sound so silly...LOL

Old 09-17-2009, 09:28 AM
eek

you sound silly saying that nobody outside of the NE talks about ny.
you don't even believe that and you know it.

you see it all over the net and in real life. everything is ___ vs. ny for a reason. everyone sells ny pizza and hot dogs for a reason. every mall has a ny clothing shop for a reason. every hat store has 324234 yankees hats for a reason.

a lot of ppl emulate our accent for a reason.

etc. etc.

how many ppl want to be from houston, want to move to houston, want to eat houston food, want to dress like ppl from houston, etc. again?

oh ok.

Old 09-17-2009, 09:44 AM

Quote:
you sound silly saying that nobody outside of the NE talks about ny.
you don't even believe that and you know it.

you see it all over the net and in real life. everything is ___ vs. ny for a reason. everyone sells ny pizza and hot dogs for a reason. every mall has a ny clothing shop for a reason. every hat store has 324234 yankees hats for a reason.

a lot of ppl emulate our accent for a reason.

etc. etc.

how many ppl want to be from houston, want to move to houston, want to eat houston food, want to dress like ppl from houston, etc. again?

oh ok.
Everything is not NY vs ____
up here in Rochester, nobody cares about NY hot dogs. We have our own style(zweigles) which is popular and nobody gives nathans a second tought. Every mall does not have a NY clothing shop either. And this is in your own state. Outside of NY state, there are plenty of stores that don't have a bunch of yankee hats. You should really get out more.

Old 09-17-2009, 09:53 AM
eek

you should travel more. while i made generalizations, i can't count how many times i've been around the country and have seen NY _____ in a mall, in a strip mall, etc.

in most, yes most, lids, hatlands, ___ place that sells hats, you will see two things:

1. NY Yankees fitted hats
2. hats of whatever the cloest team to them is.

if you're in the south its usually

1. NY Yankees fitted
2. Atlanta braves fitted

and for the record, nathans is weak anyway compared to hebrew national or sabrett, IMHO. but in nyc, nobody thinks about rochester (or upstate, in general, to be honest) so i guess we're even?

Old 09-17-2009, 10:01 AM

Quote:
you should travel more. while i made generalizations, i can't count how many times i've been around the country and have seen NY _____ in a mall, in a strip mall, etc.

in most, yes most, lids, hatlands, ___ place that sells hats, you will see two things:

1. NY Yankees fitted hats
2. hats of whatever the cloest team to them is.

if you're in the south its usually

1. NY Yankees fitted
2. Atlanta braves fitted

and for the record, nathans is weak anyway compared to hebrew national or sabrett, IMHO. but in nyc, nobody thinks about rochester (or upstate, in general, to be honest) so i guess we're even?
Of course you see Yankee fitted hats. ITS A HAT STORE. You see fitted hats for most major league teams in lids and other hat stores. Your posts imply that you see yankee hats more than other hats, which you really don't in many places outside of NY.
You think nathans is weak. Fine. You don't see the other types of NYC hot dogs up here either. That goes against your previous implication that you see NY hot dogs everywhere.
I find it hard to believe you ever spent any extended amount of time outside of NYC judging by your postings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City