Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer??
New York style hotdog 63 37.50%
Chicago style hotdog 105 62.50%
Voters: 168. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2009, 01:06 PM

4,515 posts, read 9,700,741 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
Texas, New York state, and Florida.

Because Virgina is a lot closer to NYC than it is to Chicago.
I have to disagree with you, because everywhere I go there are stores that have "New York" on their store's signs for everything. For example in Atlanta there is a store called NY Pizza » Home | Now serving the finest New York style Pizza in Atlanta. Ray’s New York Pizza. So It is not because of the proximity that NY has to VA. Moreover, the NY hot dog is considered the hot dog capital of the nation by many Americans. So I do not know why NY is losing on this poll.

Hot Dog Road Trip Celebrates The American Classic's Regional Flavors | Reuters
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2009, 01:47 PM

1,325 posts, read 2,366,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
So I do not know why NY is losing on this poll.
Because people like the taste of Chicago hot dogs over New York hot dogs.

Old 09-17-2009, 01:49 PM

2,856 posts, read 4,619,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
I have to disagree with you, because everywhere I go there are stores that have "New York" on their store's signs for everything. For example in Atlanta there is a store called NY Pizza » Home | Now serving the finest New York style Pizza in Atlanta. Ray’s New York Pizza. So It is not because of the proximity that NY has to VA. Moreover, the NY hot dog is considered the hot dog capital of the nation by many Americans. So I do not know why NY is losing on this poll.

Hot Dog Road Trip Celebrates The American Classic's Regional Flavors | Reuters

What does that suppose to mean? There's more Philly Cheesesteak places across the nation than NY Pizza. Now Back to the subject at hand, Chicago has the better hotdogs!!

Old 09-17-2009, 01:58 PM

672 posts, read 1,789,448 times
Anyone ever try a Japadog in Vancouver?

I think it kills all.

Old 09-17-2009, 02:11 PM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,734,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
Texas, New York state, and Florida.

right, so you should see the same types of fitteds in those states as well. obviously we're not counting ny for the sake of the argument.
with that said there are 46 other states without a lot of teams in them. these are the states that i'm talking about, although i would say that when i was in texas, i saw a ton of ny merchandise...everything from that stuff you see in flea markets to the stuff i saw in the mall, etc.

perhaps houston is different but el paso did not have a tiny bit of ny stuff and a lot of stuff from elsewhere. it had your texas stuff and then it had ny stuff. to be honest, i don't buy that houston doesn't have ny products in their malls. i'm having a hard time figuring out why other cities in texas would but houston wouldn't. if anything, the other cities would have more texas stuff and no ny stuff because they'd be for their own city. the larger city would have the variety. so again, i'm not buying that.

florida too. i've seen it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlock2513 View Post
What does that suppose to mean? There's more Philly Cheesesteak places across the nation than NY Pizza. Now Back to the subject at hand, Chicago has the better hotdogs!!
what it means is that ppl claiming that they dont hear or see NY stuff outside of ny are lying through their teeth (or fingers in this case).

philly has nothing to do with it.

if we must bring philly into it, they're only known for that one thing. you don't see Philly clothing, philly style pizza, philly style franks, philly merchandise (hats, tees, etc) all over the nation like you do NY. period.

ppl are kidding themselves, here.

Old 09-17-2009, 02:55 PM

3,235 posts, read 8,717,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
right, so you should see the same types of fitteds in those states as well. obviously we're not counting ny for the sake of the argument.
with that said there are 46 other states without a lot of teams in them. these are the states that i'm talking about, although i would say that when i was in texas, i saw a ton of ny merchandise...everything from that stuff you see in flea markets to the stuff i saw in the mall, etc.

perhaps houston is different but el paso did not have a tiny bit of ny stuff and a lot of stuff from elsewhere. it had your texas stuff and then it had ny stuff. to be honest, i don't buy that houston doesn't have ny products in their malls. i'm having a hard time figuring out why other cities in texas would but houston wouldn't. if anything, the other cities would have more texas stuff and no ny stuff because they'd be for their own city. the larger city would have the variety. so again, i'm not buying that.

florida too. i've seen it.

what it means is that ppl claiming that they dont hear or see NY stuff outside of ny are lying through their teeth (or fingers in this case).

philly has nothing to do with it.

if we must bring philly into it, they're only known for that one thing. you don't see Philly clothing, philly style pizza, philly style franks, philly merchandise (hats, tees, etc) all over the nation like you do NY. period.

ppl are kidding themselves, here.
People aren't claiming they don't see NY stuff outside of NYC. I'm just saying that NY isn't as dominate outside of NYC like you are claiming. In many places Yankee hats are just as common as any other hat. I rarely have ever seen a NY hot dog advertised outside of NYC. I have seen many many texas style hot dog places advertised though.

Old 09-17-2009, 03:04 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,127,593 times
I'm in Midway on my way to NYC. Missed my earlier flight, so in an attempt to waste time I decided to eay. Was on the phone with the girl I'm visiting.

Exact transcript by the way! Ha ha

Me: (As I walk towards the food court) "Oh, I think I'm gonna get a dog, I'm startving and I don't have sh** else to do.

Tricia: "Cool, you've got like 4 hours to kill go for it"

Me: (Approaching the restaurant and not recognizing the name) "Gold Coast Dog?! WTF! This place is probably bogus, I've never even heard of these guys."

Sure enough, the place was bogus. The hot dogs were char-grilled and I don't even think they were Vienna. I should've known I was being stood up when I saw that they had jumbo dogs.

I say this so that out of towners never go to the airport, try a hot dog, and think its legit.

I almost went back to the restaurant to complain

Old 09-17-2009, 03:07 PM

2,318 posts, read 7,845,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
I say this so that out of towners never go to the airport, try a hot dog, and think its legit.
Anyone who judges a city's cuisine based on meals at the airport is not to be taken seriously.

Old 09-17-2009, 03:16 PM

5,289 posts, read 7,488,861 times
Best Kosher at Comiskey park with grilled onions make my mouth water just typing it. Seriousy, I have a puddle of drool on my desk now.

Old 09-17-2009, 03:31 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,127,593 times
What do fitted hats, sports teams, or which city is better have to do with hot dogs???

Please stay on topic
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City