Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 07:21 PM

245 posts, read 215,378 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alacran View Post
Chicago is cheaper.

...and Cubs season tickets are cheaper than Yankees. Who would you rather watch playing? Legendary winners of 27 WS titles or some team from Chicago who hasn't won a title in over 100 years???

People make those comments about cost of living in New York the same way Honda Civic owners boast their cars cost less than similarly sized BMW. Is this really something to boast about? You like Honda Civic then drive a Honda Civic but claiming it is better than BMW because it is cheaper does not make any sense...

Last edited by carverR; 05-05-2010 at 07:35 PM..

Old 05-05-2010, 07:41 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,131,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carverR View Post
Wow. As far as people in Chicago being much "more down to earth and friendlier" than in New York as you cliam.... Well, you do understand it is neither very "down to earth" nor "friendly" not to mention in good taste or intelligent to make a comment like yours, don't you? I bet you don't. That's why most people prefer New York over Chicago.

Now, as far as partying is concerned you can get drunk anywhere in the world, New York however offers some world-class entertainment and arts Chicago can only dream about.

First off, I don't tie my self worth to the city I live in. I can live where I want.

Second, you contradicted yourself by trying to build your city up by belittling Chicago. Exactly what I was talking about. But whatever, go out and enjoy your city. I'll do the same.

Welcome to city-data

Old 05-05-2010, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
First off, I don't tie my self worth to the city I live in.
Of course you do. That's why you are here on city-data and responding to this thread. Since you have a trouble understanding what you wrote let me refresh your memory:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
I prefer Chicago over NYC. Why? I can afford to take in all the city has to offer, the people are much more down to earth and friendlier
You put down New Yorkers saying that Chicagoans are friendlier and more down to earth than New Yorkers which statement is neither an expression of "being down to earth" nor "friendly". Can you back this claim up with anything because I can easily back up my claim about New York effering world class, art, culture and entertainement that Chicago can only dream about. I can also easily back up a claim that most people prefer New York over Chicago.

Last edited by carverR; 05-05-2010 at 08:33 PM..

Old 05-05-2010, 08:27 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,542,987 times
personally, i haven't anything on the nyc level in my u.s. travels...not trying to be a dick either...

Old 05-05-2010, 08:40 PM

324 posts, read 659,859 times
Quote:
...and Cubs season tickets are cheaper than Yankees. Who would you rather watch playing? Legendary winners of 27 WS titles or some team from Chicago who hasn't won a title in over 100 years???

People make those comments about cost of living in New York the same way Honda Civic owners boast their cars cost less than similarly sized BMW. Is this really something to boast about? You like Honda Civic then drive a Honda Civic but claiming it is better than BMW because it is cheaper does not make any sense...
BMW your just paying for the name... I can get a cheaper car like a Honda where I'll get about the same mount of use out of the car with less maintence cost.. I know alot of kids in NYC that or 26 and 27 still living with there parents because they can't afford to move out.. I know kids on the south lots of them who are buying homes at 21 thru 25 so yes NYC is overpriced..

Old 05-05-2010, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blkspice23 View Post
BMW your just paying for the name... I can get a cheaper car like a Honda where I'll get about the same mount of use out of the car with less maintence cost.. I know alot of kids in NYC that or 26 and 27 still living with there parents because they can't afford to move out.. I know kids on the south lots of them who are buying homes at 21 thru 25 so yes NYC is overpriced..

Maybe you are paying for the name when buying BMW, I am paying for exceptional handling and driving characteristics that no Honda has ever been able to offer.
I am not going to argue about the NYC kids staying with their parents since the eveidnece for this claim is anecdotal and I have never seen any statistics to back it up.
I am however going to point out that "overpriced" in a free market is a very tricky term. New York is in fact very expensive but living in the cultural hub of the western hemipshere has its price and the price of housing in New York reflects its global appeal.
This thread however simply tries to answer the question which city is best for city life and there is not doubt in mind that for all things urban New York is far ahead of other US cities.

Old 05-05-2010, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Of course you do. That's why you are here on city-data and responding to this thread. Since you have a trouble understanding what you wrote let me refresh your memory:

You put down New Yorkers saying that Chicagoans are friendlier and more down to earth than New Yorkers which statement is neither an expression of "being down to earth" nor "friendly". Can you back this claim up with anything because I can easily back up my claim about New York effering world class, art, culture and entertainement that Chicago can only dream about. I can also easily back up a claim that most people prefer New York over Chicago.
Almost every NY that comes on city data have these same boasting mentality.. As if the whole world revolves around NYC, like You can't be entertained in another city . I will go to LA Chicago Vegas Miami just as fast as I go to NY and after u have been to NYC several times it becomes a bit dull anyway.. So enjoy your world class Venues that some people don't even
care about attending....

Last edited by Blkspice23; 05-05-2010 at 09:10 PM..

Old 05-05-2010, 08:56 PM

3,546 posts, read 8,565,642 times
Quote:
I can also easily back up a claim that most people prefer New York over Chicago.
In what way? I think most prefer to live where they can afford to live, and for a lot of people that isn't NYC. (It may not be Chicago either)

I think there's nearly universal agreement that NYC offers the most urban amenities of any U.S. city, but beyond that I'm not certain you can back up a claim regarding "preference".

Old 05-05-2010, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Maybe you are paying for the name when buying BMW, I am paying for exceptional handling and driving characteristics that no Honda has ever been able to offer.
I am not going to argue about the NYC kids staying with their parents since this is anecdotal and I have never seen any statistics to back up similar claim. I am however going to point out that "overpriced" in a free market is a very tricky term. New York is in fact simply very expensive but living in the cultural hub of the western hemipshere has its price and the price of housing in New York reflects its global appeal.
This thread however simply tries to answer the question which city is best for city life and there is not doubt in mind that for all things urban New York is far ahead of other US cities.
You sure are paying for that and the arm and the leg it cost to keep it up too.. Personally that's why I'm glad we have so many cities to visit besides NYC that's the great thing about America. Miami here I come for memorial day weekend..

Old 05-05-2010, 09:09 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,524,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandIke27 View Post
800 for a studio vs a townhome for the same amount in some other areas of the USA . Does not sound like your getting you moneys worth to me 700,000 dollars for a house vs the same type of house elsewhere for 200,000 Sound like your paying more than you should....
800 for a studio in new york?!?! where did you find that!
maybe you meant 1800...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City