Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2010, 01:45 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,794,327 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post
What?

Houston doesn't have a smaller MSA. And what do you mean area wise? The city limits or metro area?Houston's MSA is slightly bigger than Atlanta(pop wise).The city of Houston land wise is 607 sq miles.Atlanta is 137 sq miles.It makes a difference when we are comparing numbers.By virtue of there being more people means of course there will more of different types of people in raw numbers.That does not mean that when taken against the percentage of the population that it still more diverse.

What are you talking about? You don't know what people are looking for. Everyone has different preferences.Thats my point,the more out there for everybody,the more attractive to everybody.

What?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2010, 01:56 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
Quote:
For example I love House Music.Deep house and lounge house.Atlanta is not NYC or Chicago in this regards but in the South it is simply the best,Even better than Miami.Miami get the Techo stuff that I hate.Now most "House heads" that have been to most major cities in the South will tell you this also.Its not even close.Houston's music scene sucks compared to Atlanta.Well House music tends to have a diverse crowd following.So IMO,Houston ( for more reasons than just that),is lacking in this very International Genre.So if I have this perception,does not make it true due the fact that its hard to trace how many people are House Heads.
No it doesn't. It's just that Houston has a different scene than Atlanta. Houston has a great blues and jazz scene. It also has a great Tejano and Salsa scene which is superior to Atlanta's just as Atlanta's House scene (though this is the first I've heard of it) is superior to Houston's.

Old 04-25-2010, 02:21 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,794,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
No it doesn't. It's just that Houston has a different scene than Atlanta. Houston has a great blues and jazz scene. It also has a great Tejano and Salsa scene which is superior to Atlanta's just as Atlanta's House scene (though this is the first I've heard of it) is superior to Houston's.
Ok what about R&B,Rap,House,Indie Rock,Country,Gospel.Its a matter of opinion based on my experience having been to all.Does not mean its true but I have seen no evidence to suggest other wise.Tejano might as well be zydeco.Where outside of Houston can you easily find a Tejano music being big?Its not like Atlanta does not have a large Mexican population.You can see Tejano bands here too.Houston may be the central for that genre but its not the only place either.All I know is a lot of major studios have their Southern offices in Atlanta

Cities With the Best Music Scenes - Top Ten List

Last edited by afonega1; 04-25-2010 at 02:39 PM..

Old 04-25-2010, 02:59 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Ok what about R&B,Rap,House,Indie Rock,Country,Gospel.Its a matter of opinion based on my experience having been to all.Does not mean its true but I have seen no evidence to suggest other wise.Tejano might as well be zydeco.Where outside of Houston can you easily find a Tejano music being big?Its not like Atlanta does not have a large Mexican population.You can see Tejano bands here too.Houston may be the central for that genre but its not the only place either.All I know is a lot of major studios have their Southern offices in Atlanta

Cities With the Best Music Scenes - Top Ten List
R&B give it to Atlanta.
Rap Houston takes a backseat to noone. May not be in the mainstream. But Houston's hip hop scene does not suck compared to Atlanta's.
Country- Houston has a strong scene
Gospel- Houston has a strong scene.
Indie Rock- Houston has a strong scene but because Austin is in Texas, it gets more of the popularity.
Point is. Houston's scene does not SUCK compared to Atlanta's and no list can tell me otherwise. It's not as media savvy. You may have some Tejano. But whatever Latin scene Atlanta has does not come close to Houston's due to the demographics. I think it's very hard for people to give credit where credit is due to some people.

Old 04-25-2010, 03:35 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,987,932 times
I'd like to hear one Atlanta Rap/Hip Hop group that originated back in the 80's. There is none.

Old 04-25-2010, 04:11 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,952,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Houston's MSA is slightly bigger than Atlanta(pop wise).The city of Houston land wise is 607 sq miles.Atlanta is 137 sq miles.It makes a difference when we are comparing numbers.By virtue of there being more people means of course there will more of different types of people in raw numbers.That does not mean that when taken against the percentage of the population that it still more diverse.
Houston's MSA is only slightly bigger? Don't think so, especially since Houston has actually increased its lead over Atlanta's MSA as the decade went on (meaning Atlanta was catching up, but that stopped):

Houston-Sugar Land-Baytown, TX Metropolitan Statistical Area (CBSA) Population and Components of Change

Atlanta-Sandy Springs-Marietta, GA Metropolitan Statistical Area (CBSA) Population and Components of Change

And about the diversity thing, I linked you to the Census, where it was comparing entire metro areas, so not sure what you are trying to say with that one. And since there is a big enough difference between Houston's MSA and Atlanta's MSA, I looked at percentages. If you did to, you'd see that Houston was is more diverse.

And just for the record, Inner Loop Houston is only 96 square miles and has the same population as the City of Atlanta. I wish we could break down the demographics of Inner Loop Houston, but its hard.

Old 04-25-2010, 04:48 PM

2,531 posts, read 6,249,581 times
ATTENTION HOUSTON HOMER SQUAD : Please note that it is ONE Atlanta poster still trying to argue that Atlanta is "more diverse" than Houston! I think the vast majority of Atlanta posters conceded to the fact that Houston has us beat in that department long ago, rather than post semi-incoherent strawman arguments in order to get the last word.

@Afronega, from one Atlanta poster to another, know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em!

*goes back to lurking...*

Old 04-25-2010, 06:15 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,043,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post
ATTENTION HOUSTON HOMER SQUAD : Please note that it is ONE Atlanta poster still trying to argue that Atlanta is "more diverse" than Houston! I think the vast majority of Atlanta posters conceded to the fact that Houston has us beat in that department long ago, rather than post semi-incoherent strawman arguments in order to get the last word.

@Afronega, from one Atlanta poster to another, know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em!

*goes back to lurking...*
^ LOL.

I'm Hindu, and I saw someone post a video about BAPS Kishores in Atlanta, we have one in Chicago as well, same design and everything, and one in Houston too, and the one in Houston looks the exact same as the Atlanta and Chicago one. And they're still extending it, so the construction isn't complete just yet.

Next, I think more over at the end of the day these two cities have way more in common than anyone wants to imagine. The only REAL SIGNIFICANT difference is that one is on the coast and the other is land trapped.

Old 04-25-2010, 06:16 PM

1,576 posts, read 6,349,028 times
Simple: I would go where I had the best job opportunity.

Old 04-25-2010, 06:17 PM

2,138 posts, read 6,319,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post
Houston's MSA is only slightly bigger? Don't think so, especially since Houston has actually increased its lead over Atlanta's MSA as the decade went on (meaning Atlanta was catching up, but that stopped):

Houston-Sugar Land-Baytown, TX Metropolitan Statistical Area (CBSA) Population and Components of Change

Atlanta-Sandy Springs-Marietta, GA Metropolitan Statistical Area (CBSA) Population and Components of Change

And about the diversity thing, I linked you to the Census, where it was comparing entire metro areas, so not sure what you are trying to say with that one. And since there is a big enough difference between Houston's MSA and Atlanta's MSA, I looked at percentages. If you did to, you'd see that Houston was is more diverse.

And just for the record, Inner Loop Houston is only 96 square miles and has the same population as the City of Atlanta. I wish we could break down the demographics of Inner Loop Houston, but its hard.
5.8 million versus 5.5 million is a pretty similar size in population in the grand scheme of things--however your comparisons with Inner Loop Houston in the City of Atlanta are quite compelling and underlines the fact that both metros share way more similarities than differences. Houston is definitely more diverse, but both cities share similar growth patterns, similar urban landscapes, and somewhat similar climates. To argue in extreme superlatives (this isn't directed to anyone in particular) is complete folly when comparing and contrasting these two metros.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City