Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2011, 10:12 AM

21,765 posts, read 28,102,272 times

Advertisements

Take half the tractor trailers off the road and you'd see a huge drop in traffic. We're very reliant on them for transportation.

Old 12-17-2011, 10:24 AM

879 posts, read 1,661,093 times
What if more people were allowed to telecommute (when reasonable)? I think that would take a large burden off the roads without costing anything to the state.

Old 12-17-2011, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lintu View Post
What if more people were allowed to telecommute (when reasonable)? I think that would take a large burden off the roads without costing anything to the state.
I agree. Unfortunately most companies and managers have serious trust issues when dealing with telecommuting. IE: if I can't see you, are you really working? Not that people work every hour of the day they're at an office anyway.

Plus, people love meetings. I hate them. Waste of time 9 times out of 10. Plus, solutions by committee are almost always worse than solutions by 1 or 2 people with a vision.

I could totally telecommute 3 or 4 days a week and still maintain the same level of productivity and quality. I worked from home for many years when I owned a business, and I'd consider myself even more disciplined now to do that. If it was an option, I would do it - but it's not. I'm only permitted to work from home when I have to (someone's working on the house, too sick to come in, bad snow, etc).

I have also talked to a lot of people that admit they don't have the discipline to do it.

I think it's just not as culturally accepted as it could/should be. Maybe the state should offer incentives to employers for allowing telecommuting. Seems like a win/win.

Old 12-17-2011, 10:46 AM

879 posts, read 1,661,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
I agree. Unfortunately most companies and managers have serious trust issues when dealing with telecommuting. IE: if I can't see you, are you really working? Not that people work every hour of the day they're at an office anyway.

Plus, people love meetings. I hate them. Waste of time 9 times out of 10. Plus, solutions by committee are almost always worse than solutions by 1 or 2 people with a vision.

I could totally telecommute 3 or 4 days a week and still maintain the same level of productivity and quality. I worked from home for many years when I owned a business, and I'd consider myself even more disciplined now to do that. If it was an option, I would do it - but it's not. I'm only permitted to work from home when I have to (someone's working on the house, too sick to come in, bad snow, etc).

I have also talked to a lot of people that admit they don't have the discipline to do it.

I think it's just not as culturally accepted as it could/should be. Maybe the state should offer incentives to employers for allowing telecommuting. Seems like a win/win.
I agree that it's not always culturally accepted. My company has gotten much better about it. I work from home 100% because I told them I quit after I had a baby, and they were willing to work with me to keep me on. I actually think I am more productive at home because a) I don't want anyone to think I'm slacking, b) I can't hang out at the water cooler or visit friends, and c) I can work instead of commuting.

Old 12-17-2011, 11:00 AM

I'm also more productive at home. Less nagging/distractions. And reclaiming that hour of commuting and a bit more sleep.

Old 12-17-2011, 05:12 PM

83,527 posts, read 75,355,132 times
Have you guys ever seen traffic go the same direction in both the south and north bound lanes of the Merrit?

I have video from a helicopter via News12 on the crash that killed the teen the other day. Due to graphics of the car I prefer not to post here. If you want the birds eye view just let me know.

Old 12-19-2011, 07:29 AM

21,621 posts, read 31,221,057 times
They ran a story in the paper in NH where the kid is from. Apparently he was a Marine heading home to see his family for the holidays. Witnesses to the accident said he wasn't even driving recklessly - he just failed to negotiate a curve and lost control of the car. Very sad.

There were 2 fatals on Route 8 this weekend in Shelton.

Old 12-19-2011, 07:51 AM

That area of Route 8 (Shelton to Seymour) must have a really unusual fatality rate.

Old 12-19-2011, 07:59 AM

21,621 posts, read 31,221,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
That area of Route 8 (Shelton to Seymour) must have a really unusual fatality rate.
It sure seems it. People drive VERY fast on it and unfortunately lots of people who live in the Valley go out on the weekends to Milford and towns south, so Route 8 also sees a lot of drunk drivers. I'm not saying that's what happened in this case, but I wouldn't rule out the possibility given the hours they occurred.

Old 12-19-2011, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
It sure seems it. People drive VERY fast on it and unfortunately lots of people who live in the Valley go out on the weekends to Milford and towns south, so Route 8 also sees a lot of drunk drivers. I'm not saying that's what happened in this case, but I wouldn't rule out the possibility given the hours they occurred.
Oh definitely. And Americans by default have no idea how to handle corners. It gets real bad on that road when it starts to ice up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut