Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2012, 07:38 AM

156 posts, read 278,140 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I am not sure what you are talking about when you say I "admitted my kids were well off". My kids have nothing to do with this discussion and they are not even of an age to bee looking at homes.

I know Fairfield very well. I have a lot of friends and family there, some of whom have looked for or are looking for that same starter home. You are right that some of the homes in this price range are not well located but there are some that are in good neighborhoods. Those usually sell quickly. They may not be as big as you want or in as good of condiiton but they are nice and would make a good starter home. Again, as I said, it is all a matter of what you expect for your money. Obviously you are expecting more than a home in your price range would offer in Fairfield. Jay
You recently made a post that said your kids go to a diverse school district and realize that others are not as well off as they are. Considering the other posts you make it seems like your income allows you an affluent lifestyle, which is awesome. You do need to realize though that someone working in Stamford who can maybe afford a 300k house is only going to find one that has issues requiring additional expenses. I'm sorry but that's reality. We have looked for months and you can refer to the list above of the things we ran into when we were looking at started houses in Stratfield. All required additional $$ immediately. We didn't have that. It doesn't have anything to do with expectations, we lowered them quite a bit when we moved here, and learned to lower them even more when we looked at real estate in Fairfield.

Old 01-09-2012, 12:40 PM

34,943 posts, read 56,970,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capital Guy View Post
You recently made a post that said your kids go to a diverse school district and realize that others are not as well off as they are. Considering the other posts you make it seems like your income allows you an affluent lifestyle, which is awesome. You do need to realize though that someone working in Stamford who can maybe afford a 300k house is only going to find one that has issues requiring additional expenses. I'm sorry but that's reality. We have looked for months and you can refer to the list above of the things we ran into when we were looking at started houses in Stratfield. All required additional $$ immediately. We didn't have that. It doesn't have anything to do with expectations, we lowered them quite a bit when we moved here, and learned to lower them even more when we looked at real estate in Fairfield.
What I wrote does not mean I make a lot more than you. In fact I don't. I do not know what posts make it sounds like I have an affluent lifestyle. I do not live in a large house or drive expensive cars. I spend what I make and am able to pay my bills.

I have friends and family in Fairfield that make less than you and they have bought or are buying homes in town. The homes are not large and are not new or newly redone but they are certainly liveable. It is all a matter of what you are willing to accept. I am not criticizing or judging you in any way. This is strictly your choice. I made a suggestion and you had already looked into it and moved on. That is all you had to say. Jay

Old 01-26-2012, 07:53 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,010,973 times
Quote:
What I wrote does not mean I make a lot more than you. In fact I don't. I do not know what posts make it sounds like I have an affluent lifestyle. I do not live in a large house or drive expensive cars. I spend what I make and am able to pay my bills.

I have friends and family in Fairfield that make less than you and they have bought or are buying homes in town. The homes are not large and are not new or newly redone but they are certainly liveable. It is all a matter of what you are willing to accept. I am not criticizing or judging you in any way. This is strictly your choice. I made a suggestion and you had already looked into it and moved on. That is all you had to say. Jay
No offense Jay, and I'm not trying to stick you out, but you are not so bad off either. You live in one of the most expensive suburbs of Hartford, drive two luxury SUV's and deal with lucrative state projects. While that's not estate money, it's not exactly a sanitation engineer's salary trying to just live a working class life.

Old 01-26-2012, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
No offense Jay, and I'm not trying to stick you out, but you are not so bad off either. You live in one of the most expensive suburbs of Hartford, drive two luxury SUV's and deal with lucrative state projects. While that's not estate money, it's not exactly a sanitation engineer's salary trying to just live a working class life.
I never said I was bad off or even close. I live in one of the more modest sections of town. My SUV was not bought new and state projects are NOT really that lucrative because of salary caps and profit limitations that the state imposes on projects. Compared to other professionals, even those in different branches of what I do, I am paid significantly less.

That said, did you read the thread? I made some suggestions which the poster took offense to. I pointed out that they could live in Fairfield in a modest home that may need some work but nothing that was unlivable. I know people in Fairfield that are in the same situation and they are accepting this. Some people think that they have to have a home that needs no work or that is in like new condition. That is nice but as you know is not necessarily reality. Jay

Old 01-26-2012, 02:23 PM

8,155 posts, read 21,010,973 times
Quote:
I never said I was bad off or even close. I live in one of the more modest sections of town. My SUV was not bought new and state projects are NOT really that lucrative because of salary caps and profit limitations that the state imposes on projects. Compared to other professionals, even those in different branches of what I do, I am paid significantly less.

That said, did you read the thread? I made some suggestions which the poster took offense to. I pointed out that they could live in Fairfield in a modest home that may need some work but nothing that was unlivable. I know people in Fairfield that are in the same situation and they are accepting this. Some people think that they have to have a home that needs no work or that is in like new condition. That is nice but as you know is not necessarily reality. Jay
Fair enough...I just wish there was room for people who work hard and earn "okay" money where they can not stress so much. CT is lacking in affordable housing...and I don't mean section 8, but those for families earning less than 75K per year.

As for the thread, I tried my best, but just skimmed so I may have missed some points.

Old 01-26-2012, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
Fair enough...I just wish there was room for people who work hard and earn "okay" money where they can not stress so much. CT is lacking in affordable housing...and I don't mean section 8, but those for families earning less than 75K per year.

As for the thread, I tried my best, but just skimmed so I may have missed some points.
I do agree with you. to many towns cater to the two extremes but few to the middle. Many towns will try to stop developments that bring middle income children into the school systems because their homes will not generate enough taxes. It is kind of sad but I have seen this too often. Jay

Old 01-27-2012, 05:13 AM

83,527 posts, read 75,355,132 times
Heads up this morning. Tractor trailer accident on I-95 southbound between exits 27a and 26 in bridgeport is causing heavy delays. Right & Center Lanes closed.

http://www.ct.gov/dot/cwp/view.asp?a=2354&Q=415268

Motor Vehicle Accident - MILFORD
Description: I-95 Northbound is congested between Exits 32 and 34 (2.1 miles) because of Motor Vehicle Accident (Box truck) between Exits 33 and 34. The right and center lanes are closed. Reported Friday, January 27 at 5:40 am.
Estimated Duration: 2 hours or less
http://www.dotdata.ct.gov/etraffic/displayIncident.aspx

Old 02-01-2012, 02:52 PM

83,527 posts, read 75,355,132 times
Unreal. And I dont even check or see everyday. Timing couldnt be worse.

This morning:

Wet roads this morning! A three-car accident on 95 North exit 30 is backing up delays into exit 31... delays in Fairfield on 95 South from exits 26- 19.. and finally, seeing traffic in Norwalk 95 South between exits 16-14.

Now:

Incident: Tractor Trailer Accident - NORWALK

Description: I-95 Southbound CLOSED between Exits 15 and 14 because of Tractor Trailer Accident (Overturned Tractor Tr.).

Reported Wednesday, February 1 at 4:22 pm.
Estimated Duration: 3 hours or less

Incident:Tractor Trailer Accident - NORWALK Description:I-95 Southbound CLOSED between Exits 15 and 14 because of Tractor Trailer Accident (Overturned Tractor Tr.). Reported Wednesday, February 1 at 4:22 pm. Estimated Duration:3 hours or less

---------
Incident: Delays - NORWALK
Description: Delays. I-95 Northbound is congested between Exits 11 and 15 (3.7 miles).

Reported Wednesday, February 1 at 4:23 pm.
Estimated Duration: Unknown

Old 02-01-2012, 07:15 PM

811 posts, read 1,739,597 times
I passed by that today, that was a BAD accident. There was heavy debris even in the northbound lane which made my commute from Stamford to Norwalk last an hour.

Old 02-02-2012, 07:01 PM

242 posts, read 299,383 times
Tractor trailer driving on the merrit parkway today. Traveling northbound near sikorsky bridge around noon. Seemed a little odd anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut