Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2012, 06:08 PM

21,769 posts, read 28,102,272 times

Advertisements

I don't see why we don't toll people leaving the state. NY does it.

In Greenwich on NY border, 84/91 on Mass border, and 95 on RI border. The only one that is debatable is the Greenwich one, just because so many more people commute via that route than the Mass/RI borders. Those are more proportionally interstate travelers and freight.

There would have to be rules that the money has to be used for transportation and nothing else.

Old 03-26-2012, 06:36 PM

879 posts, read 1,661,284 times
Two things I think would help:

More companies moving just slightly further into CT (Shelton, North Haven, places like that)
More companies allowing telecommuting

Old 03-26-2012, 08:00 PM

2,601 posts, read 3,399,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lintu View Post

More companies moving just slightly further into CT (Shelton, North Haven, places like that)
How would that help? You'd just spread the congestion out further and make it worse.(think los angeles). If you can't stand traffic, don't live in the tri-state area. You don't need to go to Montana though as a previous poster said. Go to upstate ny, the berkshires, vermont or other area's that are less populated/less going on economically.

Old 03-26-2012, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Originally designed to carry 40,000 cars a day, today the I-95/I-91 interchange carries 140,000 vehicles, resulting in accidents, snarled traffic, frustrating delays, and a great deal of wasted fuel. New jobs, improved safety, less congestion on the way in Connecticut - Welcome to the FastLane: The Official Blog of the U.S. Secretary of Transportation
130,000 vehicles per day through Fairfield alone on just I95. Thats 6200 an hour. 104 a minute. Not all of them work in CT. Guarantee you that.
There's no debate that the roads are WAY over capacity in the -I-95 new haven area! Since it was designed for 40,000 cars and now 140,000 drive though every day, you would have to expand the highway to nearly 4 times it's current size. So from 6 lanes to at least 20 lanes total in both directions to meet CURRENT capacity. Imagine what that would cost and how much it would cost to maintain?(ie enormous increase in taxes) And as soon as you did that, it would quickly go over capacity again! Thus the real need for a mass transit solution on top of any highway improvments. Oh and as soon as you start expanding a highway and reducing congesiton, peopel start moving farther from work thinking the commute is less! So the congestion comes back again!

Old 03-26-2012, 08:14 PM

Anyone ever wonder why we don't ship most goods by TRAIN in this country and create huge tracks like 100 tracks wide going coast to coast? Everything comes by truck here. We have no rail infrastructure for the shipping of goods. It's totally cost ineffective. Tractor trailers tear up the highway, create congestion, are dangerous, and use up a tremendous amount of gas. Having a rail system would also protect against the cost of goods being shipped. Thus if oil goes up, goods wouldn't go up! Also, fuel demand would go down. It's a NO BRAINER!

Old 03-27-2012, 04:43 AM

83,529 posts, read 75,373,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelizard860 View Post
There's no debate that the roads are WAY over capacity in the -I-95 new haven area! Since it was designed for 40,000 cars and now 140,000 drive though every day, you would have to expand the highway to nearly 4 times it's current size. So from 6 lanes to at least 20 lanes total in both directions to meet CURRENT capacity. Imagine what that would cost and how much it would cost to maintain?(ie enormous increase in taxes) And as soon as you did that, it would quickly go over capacity again! Thus the real need for a mass transit solution on top of any highway improvments. Oh and as soon as you start expanding a highway and reducing congesiton, peopel start moving farther from work thinking the commute is less! So the congestion comes back again!
Curious, Does anyone know if they actually sat down and wrote down ALL senarios and compared cost vs benefit?

I say Lets just do it and I hate the idea but lets do it and add the toll. Most of cost would be re-couped quick with all those vehicles paying $1.00 each time they pass.

Not 20 but just make it 4 lanes each way plus shoulder. Tear down buildings, bridges and rebuild them. It would create jobs and companies would re-hire same employees(if they wait, lol)..or just get a temporary spot to conduct business.

Make a law that there is to be no building on land within 200 feet of I-95.

Has anyone passed through New Haven where the wind turbine is? Looks like a nice new wider bridge/road is being installed.
http://www.i95newhaven.com/
Nice and new and wide - 5 Lanes each way.

Old 03-27-2012, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Curious, Does anyone know if they actually sat down and wrote down ALL senarios and compared cost vs benefit?

I say Lets just do it and I hate the idea but lets do it and add the toll. Most of cost would be re-couped quick with all those vehicles paying $1.00 each time they pass.

Not 20 but just make it 4 lanes each way plus shoulder. Tear down buildings, bridges and rebuild them. It would create jobs and companies would re-hire same employees(if they wait, lol)..or just get a temporary spot to conduct business.

Has anyone passed through New Haven where the wind turbine is? Looks like a nice new wider bridge/road is being installed.
I-95 New Haven Harbor Crossing Corridor Improvement Program
Cool looking bridge. When will it be completed?

Old 03-27-2012, 08:28 AM

370 posts, read 608,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lintu View Post

More companies allowing telecommuting
You want CEO's and their respective executive staff members who happily reside in Greenwich/Westport to move their HQ locations out of the Stamford/Norwalk area in an effort to benefit the commute times of their lower ranking and replaceable army ants?

Old 03-27-2012, 09:03 AM

519 posts, read 744,333 times
Quote:

I-95 New Haven Harbor Crossing Corridor Improvement Program
Oh I did not know they were redoing that bridge.. I will tell you one thing near the end of CT on 95N I've never seen so many people drive so fast.. same when driving back in CT.

Hopefully when I drive up to Maine none of this crazy stuff will go on.

Old 03-27-2012, 09:17 AM

83,529 posts, read 75,373,979 times
10 mph stop and go on I-95 north by exit 43. Accident up ahead. Midday Tuesday. Just unreal.

Here's the report. I'll have a pic of it later.

Delays - WEST HAVEN

Description:

I-95 Northbound is congested between Exits 41 and 43 (3.2 miles)becauseof Motor Vehicle Accident (2 Vehicle) between Exits 42 and 43. The right lane is closed. Reported Tuesday, March 27 at 11:02 am.

Last edited by Cambium; 03-27-2012 at 09:42 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut