Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2012, 04:53 AM

21,620 posts, read 31,207,908 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
There are definitely too many exits/on-ramps, especially on 95. And where are there tons of unnecessary exits close by? Gasp, Fairfield - where traffic almost ALWAYS happens.
Yep. It ALWAYS stops as soon as you hit Southport.

Old 01-06-2012, 03:11 PM

11,298 posts, read 18,888,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phyxius View Post
People should also live closer to their jobs and practice better driving habits.
Easier said than done in a region where you have to earn six figures for decent housing.....and an era where jobs are scarce enough that spouses could be at jobs that are 70, 80, even 100 miles apart and have to live halfway (i.e. I've seen a growing number of posters on here who say they have one spouse working in NYC and the other in Hartford, so they live in Danbury or Milford, etc........you see a similar phenomenon in the Princeton, NJ area where one spouse works in NYC and the other in Philly......or people in Dutchess County, NY where one spouse works in Albany and the other in Westchester County).

I agree on the better driving habits though....

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
I notice the worst time for driving is between 2pm and 5pm. People just leaving work eagerly trying to get home before traffic.
And to achieve this they go into work at earlier and earlier hours......I've sometimes had to commute into CT at very early ours and I'm amazed on the both I-95 and the Merritt the amount of traffic I see going the other way into NY (or into Stamford) at say 6:30am.

Old 01-06-2012, 03:53 PM

83,516 posts, read 75,307,397 times
I have another idea, raise the prices of cars to over $100,000 for the cheapest one. lol. Nevermind.

Does anyone have any updates on future plans or discussions or anything?

Old 01-06-2012, 06:59 PM

879 posts, read 1,660,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
Easier said than done in a region where you have to earn six figures for decent housing.....and an era where jobs are scarce enough that spouses could be at jobs that are 70, 80, even 100 miles apart and have to live halfway (i.e. I've seen a growing number of posters on here who say they have one spouse working in NYC and the other in Hartford, so they live in Danbury or Milford, etc........you see a similar phenomenon in the Princeton, NJ area where one spouse works in NYC and the other in Philly......or people in Dutchess County, NY where one spouse works in Albany and the other in Westchester County).

I agree on the better driving habits though....

And to achieve this they go into work at earlier and earlier hours......I've sometimes had to commute into CT at very early ours and I'm amazed on the both I-95 and the Merritt the amount of traffic I see going the other way into NY (or into Stamford) at say 6:30am.
Even just basic 6 figures isn't enough. My husband's job was moved to Stamford and we can't afford to move any closer to there, and we make decent money.

Old 01-07-2012, 09:54 AM

519 posts, read 744,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phyxius View Post
Quit driving so close to the vehicle in front; That way people don't need to constantly use their brakes. Get out of the left lane; If someone see someone speeding up behind them, get out of the way. Leave enough space between vehicles before passing. For the space that is available, use them efficiently.

Just because the road is terrible, it doesn't excuse the driver from being irresponsible.

Oh man this just reminded me of something and because I can almost say 100% happens all the time..

Ok say you have a person following behind you leaving a 4 sec gap (gasp!) Now if I move to the center lane on 95 I can almost guarantee you that they will speed up so fast to close the gap (does not matter which lane) that they end up pressing the brakes to slow down.

What's wrong keeping the same distance before I left? I wish I had $1 for each time I saw this.

And don't get me started on that on-ramp in Stamford exit 6 SB drivers in the first lane seem hell bent on trying to speed up so you cant move over or cut right in front of you when time to merge.

Old 01-07-2012, 09:57 AM

519 posts, read 744,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post

I go to work at 4 AM but sometimes we start at later dates... Anyways it seems like right around 4:40-4:45 it's like the flood gates have opened.

the craziest thing is I've seen so many accidents at that hour.. most of the time it's car vs truck.

I don't get how you can crash with such little traffic

Old 01-07-2012, 10:04 AM

156 posts, read 278,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lintu View Post
Even just basic 6 figures isn't enough. My husband's job was moved to Stamford and we can't afford to move any closer to there, and we make decent money.
This. We make a combined 140k and could only afford a small condo in Stamford or Norwalk. Yes we could afford a house in a dicey neighborhood but given what we're planning for in the coming years, this is not an option. We simply don't have half a million to spend in Fairfield on what will cost us 170k in East Haven or Derby.

Old 01-07-2012, 10:06 AM

21,752 posts, read 28,086,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lintu View Post
Yep, 6 figures will allow you to rent a decent place in that area, but not buy. I had to "settle" for Milford, luckily I love it there.

Old 01-07-2012, 04:22 PM

2,366 posts, read 2,640,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubieB4 View Post
Oh man this just reminded me of something and because I can almost say 100% happens all the time..

Ok say you have a person following behind you leaving a 4 sec gap (gasp!) Now if I move to the center lane on 95 I can almost guarantee you that they will speed up so fast to close the gap (does not matter which lane) that they end up pressing the brakes to slow down.

What's wrong keeping the same distance before I left? I wish I had $1 for each time I saw this.

And don't get me started on that on-ramp in Stamford exit 6 SB drivers in the first lane seem hell bent on trying to speed up so you cant move over or cut right in front of you when time to merge.
Common problem all over the country. I was able to come up with a conclusion as to why the road would be back up just by observing I-95 from an aerial view. I said to myself, why are there so many ramps? some of the them are unnecessary and some aren't long enough for enough motorist to exit on and off.

As for merging, I feel it goes both ways. Drivers on on-ramps should be accelerating to the flow of traffic and use the lane given to them whereas drivers already on the highway should maintain their speed. The driver on the highway shouldn't slow down but shouldn't speed up either.

Old 01-07-2012, 08:45 PM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capital Guy View Post
This. We make a combined 140k and could only afford a small condo in Stamford or Norwalk. Yes we could afford a house in a dicey neighborhood but given what we're planning for in the coming years, this is not an option. We simply don't have half a million to spend in Fairfield on what will cost us 170k in East Haven or Derby.
On a salary of $140k you should be able to afford a nice home in the Town of Fairfield. It won't be new or large but it should be nice enough. There is a reason that home in East Haven or Derby costs only $170k. These towns do not necessarily have the best schools and are not considered to be desirable to a lot of people. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut