Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2012, 10:29 AM

8,777 posts, read 19,868,328 times

Advertisements

I see that many people are complaining about aggressive left-lane drivers on the Merritt. I don't really get it though.

If you're doing what you're supposed to be doing, you shouldn't be having these frequent encounters with aggression.

The left lane on the Merritt is a PASSING LANE. It is not a travel lane. So yes, that means you have to stop being so lazy about your driving. You can't just plop down in the left lane and mosey along oblivious to everyone else!

When i need to get by pokey people in the right lane, i move to the left lane, accelerate authoritatively, and then move back to the right once i've passed the slow car(s).

If everyone would make a conscious effort to do this, you'll notice dramatically fewer vehicles on your tail.

Old 01-04-2012, 10:30 AM

21,628 posts, read 31,221,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
I have no problem with people going as fast as they can safely go in the left lane. I think our speed limits in this state are WAY too low.

But you should be able to travel in the right lane at any reasonable speed at or above the speed limit without being hassled. That's just plain contentious.
Did you mean left lane or right lane?

Old 01-04-2012, 10:32 AM

8,777 posts, read 19,868,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Did you mean left lane or right lane?
He meant that as long as someone is doing at least the minimum when in the right lane, then they should not be "pushed".

Old 01-04-2012, 10:32 AM

21,628 posts, read 31,221,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
I see that many people are complaining about aggressive left-lane drivers on the Merritt. I don't really get it though.

If you're doing what you're supposed to be doing, you shouldn't be having these frequent encounters with aggression.

The left lane on the Merritt is a PASSING LANE. It is not a travel lane. So yes, that means you have to stop being so lazy about your driving. You can't just plop down in the left lane and mosey along oblivious to everyone else!

When i need to get by pokey people in the right lane, i move to the left lane, accelerate authoritatively, and then move back to the right once i've passed the slow car(s).

If everyone would make a conscious effort to do this, you'll notice dramatically fewer vehicles on your tail.
THANK YOU!

This is what I was getting at when I asked Stylo if he meant right or left. If you can get over, do so. Even if it means you have to go 2 mph slower than you're going, who cares? Let the faster guy go. It makes sense and it's safer for everyone.

It's the arrogant "Why should I slow down for someone else?" Answer: it's not your road.

Quote:
He meant that as long as someone is doing at least the minimum when in the right lane, then they should not be "pushed".
Got it. I see so often people trying to pass a vehicle poking around in the left lane, and they start tailing someone in the right lane to go quicker. If the jackwagon in the left lane would just move over, that would be avoided.

Old 01-04-2012, 12:56 PM

2,256 posts, read 4,499,015 times
Quote:
thank you!

This is what i was getting at when i asked stylo if he meant right or left. If you can get over, do so. Even if it means you have to go 2 mph slower than you're going, who cares? Let the faster guy go. It makes sense and it's safer for everyone.

It's the arrogant "why should i slow down for someone else?" answer: It's not your road.

Got it. I see so often people trying to pass a vehicle poking around in the left lane, and they start tailing someone in the right lane to go quicker. If the jackwagon in the left lane would just move over, that would be avoided.
+1

Old 01-04-2012, 09:18 PM

519 posts, read 744,333 times
Quote:
I agree - the Merritt is ridiculous. I avoid it like the plague, especially at night when >25% of drivers have their high beams on.
I agree I've been flashed on the parkway at night.. I'm not trying to **** the person off.. I'm trying to watch for deer.. But hey if you want to hit it go right ahead...

Quote:
I've noticed this the most in the stretch from Greenwich > ~New Canaan-Norwalk. People drive super fast along there, where 85-90 seems to be the norm. I'll admit I drive pretty fast, but I won't get pressured for doing 75 east of Norwalk.
Going North or South? I get off work around 8:30 AM so i kinda hit it right when it's the worst.. For me it seems both sides like you said is the worst areas.. And I find like once you get past Bridgeport it's like a huge breather you can feel like you are not forced to do 90 MPH in the first lane.. It seems like drivers want you to do 90 in both lanes...

Quote:
I witness this bullying going on daily all over CT. Tailing someone so dangerously close to get them to move over, even if they're passing cars in the right lane. It's terrible. We should really have an aggressive driving hotline.
Man man perfect timing today.. I was just passing exit 6 going south on 95 today and the guy behind me (CT plates) was following me about 1-2 seconds behind me but he did not know a state trooper was coming on the ramp.. It took him about 10 seconds to notice he got on (I kept my speed of 75) but the guy behind me dropped way back at least almost 5 seconds, but after he saw the cop got off the exit here he comes again tailgating.. He finally went around. i'm tried of seeing the same crap all the time they fall in line every time they see a trooper on the road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmdealerguy View Post
I go through this everynight and it sucks. Im usually doing 65-70 and minding my own business ans some idiot will be flashing brights doing 90 and actually trying to "move" you out of the way. Those are the drivers that are up your butt and swaying left to right in your mirror as if there is magic lane on the shoulder or in the yellow line in the middle of the parkway. If there is traffic, it sucks.....when there is not, you have to deal aggressive idiots.......Cant win....
Yeah IMHO the best time on the parkway at least for me is when it's heavy snow they won't get far driving stupid..

Quote:
I have no problem with people going as fast as they can safely go in the left lane. I think our speed limits in this state are WAY too low.

But you should be able to travel in the right lane at any reasonable speed at or above the speed limit without being hassled. That's just plain contentious.
You know I got stopped going North on 95.. Some of you might know the area not too far after the exit 9 on-ramp the troopers like to back onto that (used to be on ramp?) anyways He asked me if I knew what the speed limit was ( I did 75) but to be honest with him I said 65 and I was shocked the speed limit was 55.. So I tried doing that one day.. 55 MPH are you kidding me? Was the speed limit set back in the 70's? That's way too slow for the first lane...
Quote:

If only it was that easy.. most of the time it happens like this..

Move from the right lane to pass to the left.. get stuck behind someone in the left lane then have to move back to the right lane.

it's back and forth

Old 01-05-2012, 01:33 AM

9,763 posts, read 7,477,660 times
Or if you are going to travel in the left lane, make sure you move over (when you get the chance), and then when everyone passes you, go back over and cruise. I can't tell you the amount of times on the Merritt I've been cruising at 70 or 75 and all of a sudden have to brake because some slowpoke going 60 won't move over when I come up behind him.

Old 01-05-2012, 03:44 AM

2,366 posts, read 2,641,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
Or if you are going to travel in the left lane, make sure you move over (when you get the chance), and then when everyone passes you, go back over and cruise. I can't tell you the amount of times on the Merritt I've been cruising at 70 or 75 and all of a sudden have to brake because some slowpoke going 60 won't move over when I come up behind him.
Flash your high beams as your pulling up the driver in the left lane. I do not see a reason to flash someone in the right lane unless their car is on fire.

I must ask, is there anything wrong with the rail service in Connecticut? is it convenient? reliable? limited? is parking an issue?

As bad as I-95 and the Merritt is are according to many people, why bother driving?

Old 01-05-2012, 06:25 AM

3,435 posts, read 3,947,273 times
Quote:

+1

CHAPTER 248* VEHICLE HIGHWAY USE

Not that I've ever seen it enforced.

Old 01-05-2012, 08:14 AM

21,769 posts, read 28,102,272 times
Quote:

Agreed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut