Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2018, 03:40 PM

9,911 posts, read 7,704,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
Oz is a Libertarian whether he believes that or not. And he certainly doesn't have a left leaning idea in his head. I would vote for Stefanowski before Oz. He's a complete joke and its a shame another more viable candidate isn't running instead of him.

He's going to sabotage Stefanowski anyway so I guess in the end Oz serves a purpose.
Could be true
But...
Republican Side Oz will:

Offers privatization for Goverment services

Concessions with Unions regarding contracts

Less aid to Cities and Towns

Reduce overall taxes in the State

Democrats:

Inceease funding to DMHAS and Social Services in the State

Expand upon various natural energy sources to be used in the State

Supports women's rights as well as LGBT rights

Legalize marijuana and invest the Stats in commercial marijuana farming

Increase Trade School opitions in the State and make education affordable

Neutral Issues:

Pilot HOV Toll Lanes

Stop finding pensions for 2 year's to resolve deficit issues

Fund pensions via State Lottery

Do away with the Gift and Estate Tax

Lower Income Tax to a flat 4.5%

Creare 200,000 jobs in the State in 10 year's

Old 10-29-2018, 04:24 PM

34,946 posts, read 56,970,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAE72 View Post
He makes it pretty clear that the greatest threat to the state is the present level of taxation and the damage high taxation can do . Another little known statistic I saw recently is that CT home owners hold onto their homes for nearly the longest time in the country. The number has gradually increased since the 2008 National Election, and in CT, over the past 8 years of Democratic rule, it has continued. This is another indication of a stagnant economy, more stagnant that almost any other state in the country. That's one of the consequences of high taxation.

Looking from the outside in, you have to understand that finding key areas where cuts can be made might be difficult. However once you can get in there, roll up your sleeves and get to work, you might turn up one unexpected area after another. It is way past time to break up the Ruling Class that have driven CT into the ditch. Democrats are going to raise taxes, put in tolls, and please, if they get elected, don't let them start digging tunnels around Hartford. This is why they no longer deserve a vote, Between the Social Justice nonsense, the pie in the sky ideas , and the lack of any cohesive demonstrative effort to reduce taxes and curtail spending, it's time for new Blood.

I'm not interested in " a regular fixture at the Capital " . Too many of those there now.
I thought people are fleeing Connecticut. How can we hold onto properties the longest when people are fleeing. And what is wrong with people holding onto their homes longer? That shows stability which is very good.

Also what is wrong with tolls? Every other state on the east coast has them and they will get the 30% of our traffic that is out of state drivers who pay nothing today toward our roads. Why should the burden be on Connecticut residents? Jay

Old 10-29-2018, 08:00 PM

154 posts, read 79,211 times
Tolls are a waste of time. You can not trust that Lamont and a Democrat controlled Legislature will cut other taxes to ease the burden on taxpayers. People are sick of paying out in this state. Gas tax, high energy costs, property taxes, income taxes. The silent majority are going to hopefully start turning this state RED. We have been run into the ground by horrible leadership in Hartford. The Democrats will never make any serious cuts to spending. We can't keep flushing money down the toilet in this state. The cities are primarily to blame for our problems. Stefanowski will at least try to change things. Lamont will just continue the Malloy movement down the toilet. I hope enough actual taxpayers get out and vote for change.

Old 10-30-2018, 05:17 AM

845 posts, read 681,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazbme99 View Post
Tolls are a waste of time. You can not trust that Lamont and a Democrat controlled Legislature will cut other taxes to ease the burden on taxpayers. People are sick of paying out in this state. Gas tax, high energy costs, property taxes, income taxes. The silent majority are going to hopefully start turning this state RED. We have been run into the ground by horrible leadership in Hartford. The Democrats will never make any serious cuts to spending. We can't keep flushing money down the toilet in this state. The cities are primarily to blame for our problems. Stefanowski will at least try to change things. Lamont will just continue the Malloy movement down the toilet. I hope enough actual taxpayers get out and vote for change.
Governor Malloy reduced spending in many discretionary categories. He has said several times he wishes he could spend willy nilly like governors in the past like Rell (R), Rowland (R), Weicker (I), and so on.

Cities, as a whole, are part of the formula for economic success in the future. Abandoning them is shooting our self in the feet.

Stefanowski will ensure gridlock at the capital as he tries to learn what the hell to do. Lamont and Griebel have actually stepped foot in it before and know a lot more than ole' Bob.

Even funnier, Bob's whole thing of "Cut Taxes" is conditional. He's admitted that there could be no tax cuts. His website says it too. Knowing the state's budget deficit, guess what: Bob Stefanowski won't cut taxes. What a way to win an election! Say you'll get rid of taxes then 'oh, sorry, it waa conditional! No tax cuts!'

The last line is funny. What's an actual taxpayer? Someone who works? Do they need to make a certain amount of money a year? Own land? Republicans don't have some monopoly on the middle class. I make 65k a year and own a home and its plastered in Lamont signs. Because I know Bob is either going to throw the state off a fiscal cliff (lool at Kansas) or sit there and languish because he has no plan.

Old 10-30-2018, 05:26 AM

377 posts, read 241,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I thought people are fleeing Connecticut. How can we hold onto properties the longest when people are fleeing. And what is wrong with people holding onto their homes longer? That shows stability which is very good.

Also what is wrong with tolls? Every other state on the east coast has them and they will get the 30% of our traffic that is out of state drivers who pay nothing today toward our roads. Why should the burden be on Connecticut residents? Jay

" Fleeing Connecticut " ? That's not exactly what I said. I said that the middle class is leaving, and the poor are staying. Despite your constant denials , I have shown numerous independent sources that verify that . In addition to that, people are holding onto property much longer than over 40 other states. Another " top ten " listing for CT , along with the moving out, the tax load, the cost of living, etc. How many lists does CT need to be on for it to be recognized that we have been heading in the wrong direction ? When people hold onto their properties longer and longer, it is another indication of a flat , stagnant economy. The equity stays in place, it isn't released into the general economy. When people move, and people buy, it unleashes more spending for appliances, construction, permits, on and on. It is a sign of a healthy economy. Stability is fine , but that combined with foreclosures , ( another list , another top 10 , maybe top 5 ) , both scenarios together are not good.

Every other state on the East Coast except NY and PA have lower gas taxes than CT. Almost 10 cents a gallon less in Mass. We're number 7 in the country. NY just slightly more at # 5. The 30 % figure that you have, does that include out of state vehicles that are making deliveries here, or just passing through ? And if so, how can you tell ? Is that 30 % figure from the Interstates, or does it include local State Roads ? We have to maintain those also. And regarding those local State Roads, if you place tolls on the interstates, will you not increase traffic by 10-15 % as people try and get around paying the toll ? And if heavy trucks try to avoid the toll, will they not put more stress on State Roads, which are not built as well as the Interstates, and could impact the safety issues as well ?

All I can say is that the road in front of my home hasn't been repaved in 30 years. Driving around CT with its many pie crust State Highway and local roads, the frost heaves, potholes etc. makes you wonder where all those high gas taxes have been going. We are starting to find out. The elected officials here in CT can't even be trusted to spend our tax money as intended. We have to pass a new Law, so they will follow the path that is clearly defined and understood. That's the disconnect. Their understanding of needs is quite different than many tax payers. And they should be rewarded for that behavior with a direct withdrawal from the people's pockets for tolls ?

If we can't get them on the same page, it is time to remove them from the equation.

Old 10-30-2018, 05:33 AM

2,918 posts, read 3,232,417 times
Race tightens again. Lamont is still ahead slightly, but his lead shrinks. Previous Unaffiliated Griebel supporters are shifting to Stefanowski in the latest poll. Too close to call. https://m.newstimes.com/politics/art...l-13347308.php

Old 10-30-2018, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ads94 View Post
Governor Malloy reduced spending in many discretionary categories. He has said several times he wishes he could spend willy nilly like governors in the past like Rell (R), Rowland (R), Weicker (I), and so on.

Cities, as a whole, are part of the formula for economic success in the future. Abandoning them is shooting our self in the feet.

Stefanowski will ensure gridlock at the capital as he tries to learn what the hell to do. Lamont and Griebel have actually stepped foot in it before and know a lot more than ole' Bob.

Even funnier, Bob's whole thing of "Cut Taxes" is conditional. He's admitted that there could be no tax cuts. His website says it too. Knowing the state's budget deficit, guess what: Bob Stefanowski won't cut taxes. What a way to win an election! Say you'll get rid of taxes then 'oh, sorry, it waa conditional! No tax cuts!'

The last line is funny. What's an actual taxpayer? Someone who works? Do they need to make a certain amount of money a year? Own land? Republicans don't have some monopoly on the middle class. I make 65k a year and own a home and its plastered in Lamont signs. Because I know Bob is either going to throw the state off a fiscal cliff (lool at Kansas) or sit there and languish because he has no plan.

If you are going to " look at Kansas" . make sure you take a long hard look at the details, and the differences when comparing it to CT.

The issue in Kansas was not the tax cuts per se , but a strong contributing factor is that the Legislature kept spending,. That's what helped the ride over the fiscal cliff. If you have less money coming in, you should be spending less. So they were then forced to raise taxes on many who could least afford it. Does higher Property Taxes ring a bell ?
But when spending becomes an addiction, withdrawal is painful. And the less spending part is what Democrats have the greatest difficulty with. Kansas isn't as close to NYC as CT is. They have an entirely different economy . Kansas is in the top 10 if Agricultural states. CT is Insurance and Financial.

Old 10-30-2018, 06:28 AM

845 posts, read 681,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAE72 View Post
If you are going to " look at Kansas" . make sure you take a long hard look at the details, and the differences when comparing it to CT.

The issue in Kansas was not the tax cuts per se , but a strong contributing factor is that the Legislature kept spending,. That's what helped the ride over the fiscal cliff. If you have less money coming in, you should be spending less. So they were then forced to raise taxes on many who could least afford it. Does higher Property Taxes ring a bell ?
But when spending becomes an addiction, withdrawal is painful. And the less spending part is what Democrats have the greatest difficulty with. Kansas isn't as close to NYC as CT is. They have an entirely different economy . Kansas is in the top 10 if Agricultural states. CT is Insurance and Financial.
How is this debunking what I said? At all? Please tell me where you will cut 9 billion dollars from the General Fund, without any new taxes. This is EXACTLY what Bob Stefanowski has promised to do. It doesn't matter if the state makes corn or sells insurance. If we slash our income tax to zero, what's going to happen? We get 500,000 people moving here from MA and NY because of our amazing taxes? How will they get to their MA and NY jobs? The state just blew a 9 billion hole in its budget, so good luck building the roads or commuter rail needed to allow all these people to move here. What if some of these people want to go to a city at night to hang out? Too bad, Payday Bob told the cities too go die. Cutting taxes so drastically and expecting magic to happen to balance the budget is simply ungrounded.

Now this brings me back to the main point: Where will YOU cut 9 billion in spending? I'm gunna be generous and say you can eliminate 1 billion in "Waste, Fraud, and Abuse." 8 billion left. We give out 5 billion to cities and towns. Gone! And wow, look your property taxes just doubled. Still another 3 billion in the hole. Shifting all of the current state workers off their "cushy" retirement plans will save the state another 200 million. 2.8 billion left. What else are you going to cut?

And furthermore, Governor Malloy (D) and the evil Democratic legislature have cut discretionary spending over the past 8 years. Repeat it with me. Democrats. Cut. Spending. Many people in this state have fallen for the right-wing talking point that all Malloy does is Tax and Spend, Tax and Spend. This is absolutely false. If you don't believe me, go look at the budgets. Look at Rell's last budget and Malloy's last budget. I'll even link it here.

2010-2011
2018-2019

Do you know why state spending went up? Legacy costs. This is money we legally need to pay. You cannot cut this money because you want to balance the budget. The legacy pension costs came from 70 years of both Ds and Rs not funding our retirement system. It blew up unde Malloy's tenure and he's had to cut spending to try and arrest the growth of spending on pensions. The last time a Governor (R) tried too run roughshod over state workers and their contracts, we lost a boatload of money. I am sure ole' Bob Stefanowski has a fool proof plan to gut our budget, tell all the current state pension retirees to drop dead, and then parachute out after 4 years now that the state is drowning in an unthinkable mountain of debt and being sued by thousands of people, all the while property taxes are surging because the state cut their aid.

https://www.nhregister.com/business/...r-13340637.php

Quote:
...Speaking of Rell, she and fellow Republican former Gov. John G. Rowland combined for a $2 billion increase in government agency spending in the two terms totaling eight years before Malloy won election. That’s a 38 percent hike from the fiscal 2003 budget — compared with Malloy’s 4 percent cut....
Quote:
...How can this be possible? The key is that we’re talking about regular government agency spending. To get there, we take out what I call the Big Five: Medicaid, bond debt, pension payments, employee and retiree health care and aid to cities and towns.

Those Big Five costs have driven a hefty increase, of course. In all, under Malloy those costs have ballooned by 40 percent, from $8.7 billion to $12.2 billion, nearly two-thirds of the budget....

Old 10-30-2018, 06:48 AM

14,055 posts, read 13,946,605 times
Ned Malloy is going win not much going change from Malloy administration and policies

Old 10-30-2018, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ads94 View Post
How is this debunking what I said? At all? Please tell me where you will cut 9 billion dollars from the General Fund, without any new taxes. This is EXACTLY what Bob Stefanowski has promised to do. It doesn't matter if the state makes corn or sells insurance. If we slash our income tax to zero, what's going to happen? We get 500,000 people moving here from MA and NY because of our amazing taxes? How will they get to their MA and NY jobs? The state just blew a 9 billion hole in its budget, so good luck building the roads or commuter rail needed to allow all these people to move here. What if some of these people want to go to a city at night to hang out? Too bad, Payday Bob told the cities too go die. Cutting taxes so drastically and expecting magic to happen to balance the budget is simply ungrounded.

Now this brings me back to the main point: Where will YOU cut 9 billion in spending? I'm gunna be generous and say you can eliminate 1 billion in "Waste, Fraud, and Abuse." 8 billion left. We give out 5 billion to cities and towns. Gone! And wow, look your property taxes just doubled. Still another 3 billion in the hole. Shifting all of the current state workers off their "cushy" retirement plans will save the state another 200 million. 2.8 billion left. What else are you going to cut?

And furthermore, Governor Malloy (D) and the evil Democratic legislature have cut discretionary spending over the past 8 years. Repeat it with me. Democrats. Cut. Spending. Many people in this state have fallen for the right-wing talking point that all Malloy does is Tax and Spend, Tax and Spend. This is absolutely false. If you don't believe me, go look at the budgets. Look at Rell's last budget and Malloy's last budget. I'll even link it here.

2010-2011
2018-2019

Do you know why state spending went up? Legacy costs. This is money we legally need to pay. You cannot cut this money because you want to balance the budget. The legacy pension costs came from 70 years of both Ds and Rs not funding our retirement system. It blew up unde Malloy's tenure and he's had to cut spending to try and arrest the growth of spending on pensions. The last time a Governor (R) tried too run roughshod over state workers and their contracts, we lost a boatload of money. I am sure ole' Bob Stefanowski has a fool proof plan to gut our budget, tell all the current state pension retirees to drop dead, and then parachute out after 4 years now that the state is drowning in an unthinkable mountain of debt and being sued by thousands of people, all the while property taxes are surging because the state cut their aid.

https://www.nhregister.com/business/...r-13340637.php

Debunking? That wasn't my intention. What I want perfectly understood is that spending was not reduced enough. And taxes therefore had to be increased.
What I want perfectly understood is that all areas of the scenario need to be looked at, not just the banner to politicize the notion of success or failure.
The plan is to gradually reduce the Income tax, that is not a " slash ". And that is totally dependent upon revenue. Sure Malloy cut spending with one hand, and with the other hand raised taxes more than once. And the second time, it was after he said he wasn't going to.

Where would I cut spending ? Maybe some of those legacy costs can be revisited. Maybe we can stop spending on other mistakes Democrats have made. How much did state tax payers just give to the City of Hartford Mismanagement and out of control spending should be rewarded? How many Employees in this State could get fired from their job , get $ 12,000 in back pay, and then get a $ 30,000 a year pension after having 10 years on the job? This is going on all over the state, and indeed all over the land of Democratic rule.

I have never called the Democrats " evil " . They have their ideology, and I have mine. I actually am just around the middle politically in most of those surveys that capture opinions on specific topics. What I have witnessed in my life time is a complete turn about by the Democratic Party. I was a registered Democrat for many years , and after meeting and talking with some of CT Democrats, my opinion is that they have lost their way. I'm not an illegal , and I don't consider myself a victim. Therefore I am low on the Totem Poll of Democratic priorities.

The bottom line is CT spending needs to be reduced even more . The commitments the previous deals with the State workers made were detrimental to the taxpayer in many ways. Job guarantees during a fiscal crisis , when the money isn't there is ridiculous. Let then sue. Let them strike . There are still 85,000 unemployed residents in CT, twice as much as there are state Employees. Maybe there are a few thousand that would like a state job. maybe they would be happy to work for 20 % less. Why is it that State Employees , or Government employees employment is so much different and special than anyone else? What makes them a protected class of workers? Will the recent SCOTUS ruling start to derail the gravy train they have been on ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut