Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2021, 11:38 AM

21,657 posts, read 31,284,695 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalMilford View Post
Oh, I see. That's unfortunate. What about the FBI Uniform Crime reporting? Does that give any insight?

It seems insane that we base our policy on an emotional (possibly over or under) reaction. In the tech world, almost every decision is based on collected data. Year over year data doesn't seem to make a compelling case that there is a massive increase in juvenile crime...
FBI UCR measures index crimes but, again, the classifications are completely different on a state vs state basis that it must be weighted.

There have been many statistics showing an increase in crime, particularly juvenile. But back in 2016, Malloy reclassified crime and essentially made it so most juvenile crimes cannot be officially reported to be turned into an accurate statistic. This has made CT’s crime appear to be lower than it actually is.

If you want to talk about basing policy on emotional reaction, let’s talk about that police accountability bill that was widely unsupported by state residents but left wing politicians in the state thrust it forward. Where was the statistic on that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2021, 07:31 PM

512 posts, read 444,214 times
Lamont says ‘more cops on the beat’ will help solve juvenile justice issues; Republicans call him ‘tone-deaf’

https://www.wtnh.com/news/lamont-say...him-tone-deaf/

“I think the most important thing, let’s see how getting people back to school, see if that makes a difference [and] gets those kids off the street. There [have] been a lot of high school age kids that haven’t been in school for a long time,” Gov. Lamont told reporters Tuesday.

Two days later, he signaled to city and town leaders that they should use federal dollars to solve the problem.“

I totally agree, the Governor most certainly is tone-deaf on this issue. He has no regard for citizens’ concerns regarding their safety and security concerns.

Old 09-16-2021, 08:56 PM

752 posts, read 556,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
FBI UCR measures index crimes but, again, the classifications are completely different on a state vs state basis that it must be weighted.

There have been many statistics showing an increase in crime, particularly juvenile. But back in 2016, Malloy reclassified crime and essentially made it so most juvenile crimes cannot be officially reported to be turned into an accurate statistic. This has made CT’s crime appear to be lower than it actually is.

If you want to talk about basing policy on emotional reaction, let’s talk about that police accountability bill that was widely unsupported by state residents but left wing politicians in the state thrust it forward. Where was the statistic on that?
The statistic on the police accountability bill is: Passed.

We've certainly seen (on video) events that indicate that police in Connecticut need to operate with additional accountability. I don't know if this bill addressed this in completely the correct way, but, if there are issues with it, they can be corrected in the next legislature.

The idea that police departments need additional layers of accountability seems hardly controversial in light of recent events.

Back to the discussion at hand, can you send me a link to some of those statistics showing an increase in juvenile crime? I certainly hear about it anecdotally, but, I'd like to see the stats for myself.

Old 09-16-2021, 09:30 PM

Quote:
The statistic on the police accountability bill is: Passed.

We've certainly seen (on video) events that indicate that police in Connecticut need to operate with additional accountability. I don't know if this bill addressed this in completely the correct way, but, if there are issues with it, they can be corrected in the next legislature.

The idea that police departments need additional layers of accountability seems hardly controversial in light of recent events.

Back to the discussion at hand, can you send me a link to some of those statistics showing an increase in juvenile crime? I certainly hear about it anecdotally, but, I'd like to see the stats for myself.
The police accountability bill was passed by left wing politicians, against the wants of the vast majority of Connecticans, who were overwhelmingly against the loony bill. I’m not sure if you’re aware of the verbiage within the bill, and if so, let’s discuss them. Hardly controversial? It’s been one of the most controversial topics since last year. Given the massive increase in CT crime, anyone who thinks this is going well is not paying attention.

I’ve already explained to you the issue surrounding juvenile crime reporting (or, lack thereof). That said, nobody can say with a straight face there’s no uptick in crime, both juvenile and adult. In the below link, you can see the sharp increase in juvenile car thefts in 2020 and early 2021, by 23%. That’s a large increase.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbc...2523360/%3famp

And that’s only car thefts. A significant percentage of the violent crimes in Connecticut’s inner cities are committed by juveniles, and those are statistically on the rise also. You can do the math there.

Old 09-16-2021, 09:37 PM

1,888 posts, read 1,191,121 times
The issue is more with the court system, not the police.
Want the police to do a better job?? Motivate them by appreciation of the work they do. Not releasing these idiots out to commit crimes in a revolving door fashion

Old 09-16-2021, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
The police accountability bill was passed by left wing politicians, against the wants of the vast majority of Connecticans, who were overwhelmingly against the loony bill. I’m not sure if you’re aware of the verbiage within the bill, and if so, let’s discuss them. Hardly controversial? It’s been one of the most controversial topics since last year. Given the massive increase in CT crime, anyone who thinks this is going well is not paying attention.

I’ve already explained to you the issue surrounding juvenile crime reporting (or, lack thereof). That said, nobody can say with a straight face there’s no uptick in crime, both juvenile and adult. In the below link, you can see the sharp increase in juvenile car thefts in 2020 and early 2021, by 23%. That’s a large increase.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbc...2523360/%3famp

And that’s only car thefts. A significant percentage of the violent crimes in Connecticut’s inner cities are committed by juveniles, and those are statistically on the rise also. You can do the math there
Ok, right. That says there's a 23% increase. From what, to what?

The small print says there were 910 total arrests for auto theft in Connecticut-- How many were juvenile arrests? How does this compare to previous years?

If what you're saying is correct, the data should provide a great foundation for your argument. This data seems terribly hard to locate and incomplete when you do...

What percentage of "crimes in Connecticut’s inner cities are committed by juveniles?" How much is it rising?

Again, basic data. Basic facts. If anyone has actual data, I'd love to see it.

Old 09-16-2021, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepfordct View Post
Want the police to do a better job?? Motivate them by appreciation of the work they do. Not releasing these idiots out to commit crimes in a revolving door fashion
I appreciate the many police officers out there who do a rather thankless job. At the same time, I can be an advocate for reforms to eliminate officers who abuse their power or members of the public. Seems like this should be a pretty reasonable position.

Old 09-16-2021, 09:54 PM

1,888 posts, read 1,191,121 times
Quote:
I appreciate the many police officers out there who do a rather thankless job. At the same time, I can be an advocate for reforms to eliminate officers who abuse their power or members of the public. Seems like this should be a pretty reasonable position.
Bad apples should be removed from every bunch. What usually prevents that? Unions and those in groups identified as a protected minority class......

Old 09-16-2021, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepfordct View Post
Bad apples should be removed from every bunch. What usually prevents that? Unions and those in groups identified as a protected minority class......
Yes, the unions can be a problem. Same with teacher's unions when it comes to "bad apples". As far as "protected minority class" goes, it's important to have diverse police departments-- I'd again like to see data as to whether white and minority police officers are treated differently when it comes to discipline and terminatin.

Old 09-16-2021, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Ok, right. That says there's a 23% increase. From what, to what?

The small print says there were 910 total arrests for auto theft in Connecticut-- How many were juvenile arrests? How does this compare to previous years?

If what you're saying is correct, the data should provide a great foundation for your argument. This data seems terribly hard to locate and incomplete when you do...

What percentage of "crimes in Connecticut’s inner cities are committed by juveniles?" How much is it rising?

Again, basic data. Basic facts. If anyone has actual data, I'd love to see it.
You requested proof that juvenile crime was increasing, which I provided you, and now you’re playing word games to try and bury it. Sorry, that’s not how this works.

It, very clearly, in the article states percent change from 2019. Since stats are compiled calendar YOY, and the very graph shows 2020 crimes, anyone would realize it’s statistics for 2020.

To conclude, juvenile car thefts rose 23% from 2019 to 2020. There’s your basic fact, that successfully refutes your failure to acknowledge this is a thing.

Quote:
Yes, the unions can be a problem. Same with teacher's unions when it comes to "bad apples". As far as "protected minority class" goes, it's important to have diverse police departments-- I'd again like to see data as to whether white and minority police officers are treated differently when it comes to discipline and terminatin.
You’re making some insanely wild assumptions with nothing of evidentiary value to support it, while demanding strange data that largely doesn’t exist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut