Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2021, 01:21 PM

21,732 posts, read 31,427,518 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I agree. It shouldn’t be one or the other. It should be comprehensive and aggressive to stop it in its tracks now. Unfortunately it won’t be and the problem will continue for a long time. Jay
Agreed. I don’t disagree with Lamont that more officers need to be on the streets, but the issue is not one size fits all. The laws and legal consequences need to be revisited - if they’re going to go status quo with the current slap on the wrist policy in reference to juvenile penalties, they need to provide some sort of rehabilitation. That’s not happening. These teenagers are being let off the hook without both accountability and rehabilitation. That needs to change.

The second thing that needs to be done is to reverse the police accountability bill. I can say I know, firsthand, officers are doing as very little as possible. They are being reactive instead of proactive. Even when reactive, as little as possible is being done. This is what happens when you have a state pass a knee jerk, emotional accountability bill to prove to the country they are “woke”. It’s resulted in thugs on the streets challenging law enforcement more than ever, because they know they can get away with it. Why would officers want to deal with that even more than they have to by being proactive? Can’t blame them.

It’s really not a complex issue. It’s an easy fix. But it starts with the Governor, who has proven himself to cater to the national Democratic Party over the best interests of his own state. Such a shame.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2021, 04:18 PM

34,232 posts, read 17,318,096 times
We just gave the Shakespeare arsonist ten years, while I would bet, even if tried as adult, the latest 16 year old Bridgeport killer gets half or less of that for the life snuffed out.

Old 09-18-2021, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Agreed. I don’t disagree with Lamont that more officers need to be on the streets, but the issue is not one size fits all. The laws and legal consequences need to be revisited - if they’re going to go status quo with the current slap on the wrist policy in reference to juvenile penalties, they need to provide some sort of rehabilitation. That’s not happening. These teenagers are being let off the hook without both accountability and rehabilitation. That needs to change.

The second thing that needs to be done is to reverse the police accountability bill. I can say I know, firsthand, officers are doing as very little as possible. They are being reactive instead of proactive. Even when reactive, as little as possible is being done. This is what happens when you have a state pass a knee jerk, emotional accountability bill to prove to the country they are “woke”. It’s resulted in thugs on the streets challenging law enforcement more than ever, because they know they can get away with it. Why would officers want to deal with that even more than they have to by being proactive? Can’t blame them.

It’s really not a complex issue. It’s an easy fix. But it starts with the Governor, who has proven himself to cater to the national Democratic Party over the best interests of his own state. Such a shame.
Amen. I would have applauded him had he vetoed any of the radical bills (erase criminal records, police accountability, zoning), even if the veto was overridden.

You are a SEPARATE branch of government supposedly, not the Legislative puppet. In Lamont's cases, they hold his strings.

Old 09-18-2021, 06:18 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,874,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post

American policing is always reactive. Only proactive thing they do is perhaps speed traps.

Also, the New Britain chief of police disagrees with your assessment that police are leaving depts.

"New Britain police officers are not fleeing in record numbers for any reason, Chute said. He’s currently staffed at 160 officers – five less than his budgeted number. “I have not heard of anyone having an issue (with the law),” Chute said."

https://ctnewsjunkie.com/2021/07/22/...ne-year-later/

Old 09-18-2021, 09:10 PM

21,732 posts, read 31,427,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
American policing is always reactive. Only proactive thing they do is perhaps speed traps.
Traffic stops are proactive, but mere presence is also proactive in nature and deters crime. Additionally, there are many units that fall under policing which are proactive in nature. You have special investigations, special victims, drug task force, etc etc etc. To say American policing is “always reactive” means anyone saying that knows very, very little about American policing. There’s a lot more than just the cops you see on the road, which is a tiny portion of their involvement in society.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
Also, the New Britain chief of police disagrees with your assessment that police are leaving depts.

"New Britain police officers are not fleeing in record numbers for any reason, Chute said. He’s currently staffed at 160 officers – five less than his budgeted number. “I have not heard of anyone having an issue (with the law),” Chute said."

https://ctnewsjunkie.com/2021/07/22/...ne-year-later/
You posted one stat from one city, but nice cherry pick. New Britain is actually one of the more well run cities in the state, unsurprisingly run by a Republican mayor who supports and respects them. It’s no coincidence.

But tell that to New Haven, who are desperate to fill 70 vacancies. Or to Hartford, with 1/3 of their positions empty.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wtn...vacancies/amp/

https://www.vnews.com/Facing-diminis...ncies-40582884

Or to Bridgeport, who have seen their officers transfer to the suburbs in record numbers.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.she...s-16401596.php

https://themonroesun.com/monroe-welc...the-park-city/

You were saying?

Old 09-19-2021, 12:40 PM

332 posts, read 220,686 times
Leaders, residents seeking ways to combat staggering rise in crime

Republicans want mandatory fingerprinting, GPS monitoring and automatic transfer to adult court for repeat offenders, but the governor says “more cops on the beat” is the answer.

Article: https://www.wtnh.com/on-air/thisweek...z0DtLdAqZX1K3E

Old 09-19-2021, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObedientSir View Post

Republicans want mandatory fingerprinting, GPS monitoring and automatic transfer to adult court for repeat offenders, but the governor says “more cops on the beat” is the answer.

Both methods are long overdue, plus a repeal of the Police "Make sure to let junior thugs off free" bill, a/k/a misnamed an Accountability bill, is also overdue.

Old 09-20-2021, 07:18 AM

2,504 posts, read 4,752,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ObedientSir View Post

Just my opinion, but I say let's do both. As others have correctly pointed out, our 2 most crime-ridden cities have police forces that are severely understaffed, and personally I'm all for transferring these so-called "kids" to adult courts if they're repeat offenders. Eventually we need to throw the book at 'em.

Old 09-20-2021, 10:28 PM

Bridgeport 16 year old killer brags about the murder. Nice to see this savage caged as he should be. Delighted he is being tried as an adult. A few decades behind bars would be prudent, to keep society safe from his future murders to come.

https://www.ctpost.com/news/article/...c=rdctpdensecp

Old 09-21-2021, 09:53 AM

332 posts, read 220,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Bridgeport 16 year old killer brags about the murder. Nice to see this savage caged as he should be. Delighted he is being tried as an adult. A few decades behind bars would be prudent, to keep society safe from his future murders to come.

https://www.ctpost.com/news/article/...c=rdctpdensecp
He was trying to rob the victim of his weed because this good boy believes drugs are bad and he was trying to confiscate it so he could throw it away in the garbage because drugs are bad. He just got carried away and took it a tad too far by "popping" him. He was bragging not about the murder, but about successfully confiscating someones evil drugs. Hopefully the judge will realize that in order to have drug-free streets you sometimes need to crack a few eggs to make an omelet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut