Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2021, 05:40 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,843,736 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Untrue. They must be a violent felony and the risk must not be greater than the reward. The decision to not pursue even under those circumstances fall squarely on the officer.

In this situation, you had a violent felony take place at 1 am. A pursuit would have been completely justified.

You are incorrect. The policy is here.

https://portal.ct.gov/-/media/POST/G...uit-Policy.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2021, 06:13 PM

21,638 posts, read 31,257,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
You are incorrect. The policy is here.

https://portal.ct.gov/-/media/POST/G...uit-Policy.pdf
Uh, did you even read what you posted? It literally says exactly what I stated.

- a pursuit is not justified unless it’s a violent felony.
- the decision to terminate a pursuit lies squarely on the officer initiating.

If you’re going to argue just to argue, especially about a topic I specialize in, you’re going to be exposed.

Old 10-07-2021, 07:39 PM

14,062 posts, read 13,967,907 times
"The average age of a juvenile arrested in Waterbury is 14 years old when they steal their first car. One youth has 12 arrests for stolen vehicles and is not detained, O’Leary said."

Paywall

https://www.rep-am.com/local/localne...s-fuel-crisis/

Old 10-07-2021, 08:26 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,843,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Uh, did you even read what you posted? It literally says exactly what I stated.

- a pursuit is not justified unless it’s a violent felony.
- the decision to terminate a pursuit lies squarely on the officer initiating.

If you’re going to argue just to argue, especially about a topic I specialize in, you’re going to be exposed.

I don't know why you insist on following me around city data, but its amusing.

The felony in this case was already committed. The car was spotted hours later. That doesn't fit the the requirements for police pursuits in CT.

Also, if the police decided to pursue the car (against policy) and killed someone in your family you would not be so gung ho on police pursuits. In addition the town and its insurance company would have to pay out a huge settlement to the family of the person killed.

Old 10-07-2021, 08:35 PM

34,078 posts, read 17,129,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
"The average age of a juvenile arrested in Waterbury is 14 years old when they steal their first car. One youth has 12 arrests for stolen vehicles and is not detained, O’Leary said."

Paywall

https://www.rep-am.com/local/localne...s-fuel-crisis/
He is off to a great start on his "lifelong career".

Old 10-07-2021, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
I don't know why you insist on following me around city data, but its amusing.

The felony in this case was already committed. The car was spotted hours later. That doesn't fit the the requirements for police pursuits in CT.

Also, if the police decided to pursue the car (against policy) and killed someone in your family you would not be so gung ho on police pursuits. In addition the town and its insurance company would have to pay out a huge settlement to the family of the person killed.
You’re wrong again. I’m not sure if you’re purposely posting false information or if you actually believe this stuff.

The vehicle was seen by an officer very shortly after the carjacking, passing through the center of Southington on its way out of town. That officer would be 100% justified in pursuing that vehicle, because it was stolen and the operator involved in a violent felony. The officer would have been justified in pursuing that vehicle even a week later, since it is a vehicle involved in an armed carjacking that has not yet been listed as “recovered” in the national database and it can be articulated that the occupants are a threat to society. Full stop.

The State of CT guideline you posted reads:

1) A police officer may only engage another vehicle in a pursuit if the officer has reasonable suspicion to believe that the occupant or driver has committed a crime of violence.

You suggesting this would not have been a justifiable pursuit is outrageously false. Please read the links you post next time.

Old 10-07-2021, 09:07 PM

34,967 posts, read 57,037,363 times
Please stop the bickering. Any posts that continue it will be deleted. JayCT, Moderator

Old 10-14-2021, 08:59 AM

This wasn’t committed by a juvenile, but did anyone see what happened the other day on 95 in New Haven? 18 wheeler driver attacked by a New Haven man and the truck carjacked. The truck then rammed 10 cars stopped in rush hour traffic. There’s video on social media but I can’t seem to link it here - absolutely wild!

https://www.nbcconnecticut.com/news/...e/2602220/?amp

Old 10-14-2021, 10:11 AM

34,967 posts, read 57,037,363 times
Connecticut Republicans have developed a strong plan to deal with the recent uptick in crime. It certainly looks like a step in the right direction. I will be letting my legislators know that. I’d encourage everyone to do the same. Jay

https://www.courant.com/politics/hc-...nh4-story.html

Old 10-14-2021, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Connecticut Republicans have developed a strong plan to deal with the recent uptick in crime. It certainly looks like a step in the right direction. I will be letting my legislators know that. I’d encourage everyone to do the same. Jay

https://www.courant.com/politics/hc-...nh4-story.html
Good write up, and excellent proposals by the Republicans. Unfortunately, I read a lot of pushback from the Democrats on this. Doesn’t seem like much of it will come to fruition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut