Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2021, 05:43 AM

14,083 posts, read 14,007,506 times

Advertisements

Waterbury Mayor Neil O’Leary said the town has seen an “inordinate amount of juvenile crime” since 2018 that has escalated during the pandemic. The amount of stolen cars has been “alarming,” and about 20 Waterbury juveniles are responsible for most of the crime in the city, O’Leary said.

Bridgeport has seen double the amount of shots-fired incidents so far this year compared to all of 2020. As of Oct. 7, there were 10,355 shots-fired incidents in Bridgeport, while there were 5,094 recorded in all of 2020, according to information from the Fed-Up presentation. In New Haven, shots fired have increased 130 percent from 2019.

https://www.ctpost.com/opinion/artic...e-16613033.php

https://www.ctinsider.com/news/artic...b-16573164.php
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2021, 06:03 AM

712 posts, read 407,317 times
2018 sounds about right. That's when the other "PSA Suburban Car Theft" thread was created. So ostensibly around that then is when this problem started going off the rails. Prior to covid - though various media sources like to blame the pandemic for the uptick.

Old 11-12-2021, 07:44 AM

6,981 posts, read 10,974,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundTableKnight View Post
2018 sounds about right. That's when the other "PSA Suburban Car Theft" thread was created. So ostensibly around that then is when this problem started going off the rails. Prior to covid - though various media sources like to blame the pandemic for the uptick.
The media echoes the Democrats in blaming COVID for everything in order to cover up for the failure of the politicians in power to address these issues. These problems predate COVID as anybody who actually knows anything could tell you.

Old 11-12-2021, 08:02 AM

2,498 posts, read 4,735,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
The media echoes the Democrats in blaming COVID for everything in order to cover up for the failure of the politicians in power to address these issues. These problems predate COVID as anybody who actually knows anything could tell you.
I agree that the media is using the virus as the source of all things wrong lately, and certainly crime definitely was rising in this state beforehand, but at the same time, the virus definitely worsened this. Unfortunately, it's impossible to truly measure the crime statistics in this state since our lawmakers do not count juvenile acts as criminal acts, so it's easy for them to say crime is down, but the adults know better.

Old 11-12-2021, 08:35 AM

21,667 posts, read 31,317,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikefromCT View Post
I agree that the media is using the virus as the source of all things wrong lately, and certainly crime definitely was rising in this state beforehand, but at the same time, the virus definitely worsened this. Unfortunately, it's impossible to truly measure the crime statistics in this state since our lawmakers do not count juvenile acts as criminal acts, so it's easy for them to say crime is down, but the adults know better.
Everyone keeps saying the virus worsened it, but nobody can say how. These juveniles didn’t automatically become despondent. Many of them are statistically school dropouts anyway, so they didn’t become bored when schools were closed. Many cities had COVID curfews so if anything, these incidents should be less - lesser opportunity should mean less crime.

It has nothing to do with COVID and everything to do with laws (or lack thereof). If you look at all major cities nationwide, greater Miami is the only metro where crime went down. Coincidentally, it’s one of the only major cities that didn’t cave to the woke agenda demonizing police and enabling criminals. In fact, Miami went opposite and increased penalty for criminal acts. The result? From 2020 to 2021, robberies were down 17%, burglaries were down 18%, and larcenies were down 19%. Note that Miami had a complete COVID lockdown from March to July of 2020.

The “Suburban Car Theft PSA” thread was created back then because I saw the writing on the wall after the Democrats’ manipulation of crime statistics (changing of legal classifications), and the closure of in state detention centers, essentially creating a “catch and release” of juveniles that committed crimes. Around the time the thread was created, I saw crime rates and simple arrests begin to increase by double and triple digits. It’s since spiraled out of control.

The passing of the “woke” Police Accountability Bill Democrats pushed through because they want to show off to their peers on a national level shattered the only filter good, hardworking residents had on their side - the police. They are now reactive instead of proactive, and when an arrest is not mandatory per CGS (meaning, non domestic related crimes), they choose not to arrest. This has made an increasing problem nearly unable to be rectified - and Democrats refuse to bend on any of it.

The above is why I vehemently disagree with anyone who blames this on COVID.

Last edited by kidyankee764; 11-12-2021 at 08:43 AM..

Old 11-12-2021, 09:33 AM

6,981 posts, read 10,974,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Everyone keeps saying the virus worsened it, but nobody can say how. These juveniles didn’t automatically become despondent. Many of them are statistically school dropouts anyway, so they didn’t become bored when schools were closed. Many cities had COVID curfews so if anything, these incidents should be less - lesser opportunity should mean less crime.

It has nothing to do with COVID and everything to do with laws (or lack thereof). If you look at all major cities nationwide, greater Miami is the only metro where crime went down. Coincidentally, it’s one of the only major cities that didn’t cave to the woke agenda demonizing police and enabling criminals. In fact, Miami went opposite and increased penalty for criminal acts. The result? From 2020 to 2021, robberies were down 17%, burglaries were down 18%, and larcenies were down 19%. Note that Miami had a complete COVID lockdown from March to July of 2020.

The “Suburban Car Theft PSA” thread was created back then because I saw the writing on the wall after the Democrats’ manipulation of crime statistics (changing of legal classifications), and the closure of in state detention centers, essentially creating a “catch and release” of juveniles that committed crimes. Around the time the thread was created, I saw crime rates and simple arrests begin to increase by double and triple digits. It’s since spiraled out of control.

The passing of the “woke” Police Accountability Bill Democrats pushed through because they want to show off to their peers on a national level shattered the only filter good, hardworking residents had on their side - the police. They are now reactive instead of proactive, and when an arrest is not mandatory per CGS (meaning, non domestic related crimes), they choose not to arrest. This has made an increasing problem nearly unable to be rectified - and Democrats refuse to bend on any of it.

The above is why I vehemently disagree with anyone who blames this on COVID.
I agree with you. COVID has been the convenient excuse that "progressive" (if you define increasing crime and violence as progress) Democrats have used to cover up the utter disaster that their policies have created. I don't see how COVID has anything to do with any of the crime increase, for the reasons you pointed out.

And I don't think Democrats will ever address these issues because they can't face the practical implications of what that would mean. They would much rather continue to allow innocent people to be victimized than face up to the absurd contradictions that are inherent to their entire approach toward major societal issues.

Old 11-12-2021, 10:27 AM

2,498 posts, read 4,735,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post

Yes, but I was referring to crime in general, not juvenile crime specifically. The latter, as you correctly pointed out, was already a serious issue long before this got started. Maybe it did worsen since then, no one really knows. I've definitely read about incidents in newspapers about juveniles getting more brazen in their daring attempts at theft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764

You can praise Florida all you want, I still have NO interest in living there. I'm sure it's paradise for anyone who's a well-to-do conservative. But since I'm a middle-class moderate, whose political views vary far and wide depending on the issue, I fear that I would be run over by someone in their Chevy Tahoe. And Mister DeSantis would probably commend them for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764

You're making it sound like I agree with what this state has done regarding this. I thought you knew where I stood on this. I have seen nothing positive come out of this at all. Nada. You don't need to tell me this has been disastrous. I mean, you can, but I don't need convincing.

Old 11-12-2021, 10:40 AM

7,051 posts, read 3,826,553 times
Quote:
Yes, but I was referring to crime in general, not juvenile crime specifically.
Right, CT juveniles pre-dated Covid, most know this. Violent crimes and homocide increases by CT and nationwide adults can be attributed to Covid in some or many cases. Hard to quantify.
On the other hand, if you mention CT's hot real estate, within seconds, the hardened GOP crowd here is quick to point out that's all due to Covid.

Old 11-12-2021, 11:16 AM

21,667 posts, read 31,317,415 times
Quote:
Yes, but I was referring to crime in general, not juvenile crime specifically. The latter, as you correctly pointed out, was already a serious issue long before this got started. Maybe it did worsen since then, no one really knows. I've definitely read about incidents in newspapers about juveniles getting more brazen in their daring attempts at theft.

You can praise Florida all you want, I still have NO interest in living there. I'm sure it's paradise for anyone who's a well-to-do conservative. But since I'm a middle-class moderate, whose political views vary far and wide depending on the issue, I fear that I would be run over by someone in their Chevy Tahoe. And Mister DeSantis would probably commend them for it.

You're making it sound like I agree with what this state has done regarding this. I thought you knew where I stood on this. I have seen nothing positive come out of this at all. Nada. You don't need to tell me this has been disastrous. I mean, you can, but I don't need convincing.
Nobody is praising Florida, so I’m not sure why you took it down the road of DeSantis bashing. Miami area city officials’ toughening on crime and the outcome is a prime example of why what Connecticut is doing simply does not work. Note that greater Miami and its suburbs are very liberal - but they have not given into the same agenda Connecticut officials have to please their party. Therein lies the difference. Nowhere did I suggest you move to Florida. We’re full.

My response wasn’t a dig at you, and you’ve made it clear you’re against the Democratic agenda on this issue. It was a disagreement that this increase in crime has been worsened by COVID. The elephant in the room is the national movement that demonized police and the justice system (court staff, prosecutors, state attorney’s, etc) that came just a few months after COVID was realized. Laws were changed in almost every city nationwide to allow criminals to freely criminalize. That did not occur in Miami, which is why I brought up the trend reversal in that city. It matters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM85 View Post
Right, CT juveniles pre-dated Covid, most know this. Violent crimes and homocide increases by CT and nationwide adults can be attributed to Covid in some or many cases. Hard to quantify.
On the other hand, if you mention CT's hot real estate, within seconds, the hardened GOP crowd here is quick to point out that's all due to Covid.
Of course the real estate boom is COVID related. Experts nationwide note this, and it’s also obvious to the layperson. Crime, and the reasons for it, are a completely separate issue - see paragraph 2 above.

But lol at “hardened GOP crowd”. I am a right leaning independent that has serious issues with the modern day Democratic Party, forcing me to vote GOP when I disagree with many of their social issue agendas. Quality of life comes first, always, and the national crash and burn of the Democratic Party as of late is interesting to watch. The average person like myself is sick of their antics, which is evident by their plummeting approval ratings. Anyway, that’s another thread.

Last edited by kidyankee764; 11-12-2021 at 11:27 AM..

Old 11-12-2021, 11:49 AM

752 posts, read 558,317 times
Interesting national data regarding COVID and crime rates: https://econofact.org/crime-in-the-time-of-covid
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut