Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2013, 11:21 PM

3,807 posts, read 4,275,649 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalisiin View Post
Thank you for the CORRECT information.

And defending yourself does not give you a free pass...to be free of possible criminal liability.
All you need is an over-zealous District Attorney, and you are facing a world of possible trouble if you defend yourself.
While possible, I am going to disagree very strongly. I am a police officer and have been for 25 yrs (well, Jan 2 will be my 25th anniversary). I've investigated MANY persons, men and women, who have shot and killed intruders in their homes. All sorts of circumstances, from burglaries, rapists, to this scenario of an exboyfriend. This would include store owners protecting their property, etc.

Out of the dozens and I do mean DOZENS I've PERSONALLY investigated, only ONE went into the criminal realm. I've NEVER arrested anyone at the scene. In general, police work with true victims in these circumstances, to make sure they say and do the right things to keep themselves out of court.

Now, the one who did, stabbed her boyfriend, 17 times, left the scene, and claimed she was a victim of domestic violence. She also claimed she had called the police dept 7 times prior for help and we did nothing for her. Which was a lie, she never called the police. Oh, did I mention she had stabbed to death a prior boyfriend under the same set of circumstances, 12 years earlier? She finally admitted to killing her boyfriend for insurance and spent only 7 years in prison.

The problem is perception. People hear of the ONE case which actually goes to court. They never hear about the other 15 which do not. Therefore, people jump on the bandwagon some police officer or district attorney has an "axe to grind." Do you truly think a police officer cares Jane Smith whacked her boyfriend who is beating the hell out of her? No. In fact, were happy. I don't have to go there and take any more reports.

Sometimes I wish people would truly look at the entire issue. Not what they heard, not what they saw on CSI last night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2013, 11:58 PM

87 posts, read 133,297 times
the real issue behind a lot of these sad news stories is poor decision making. women need to stop going out with total dirt bags and then expect the state to come to their rescue once stuff gets out of control.

people call 911 all the time for the most menial crap. if they would stop doing that, then the police could better respond to more calls that are serious.

Old 12-30-2013, 12:06 AM

3,807 posts, read 4,275,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by molerat View Post
the real issue behind a lot of these sad news stories is poor decision making. women need to stop going out with total dirt bags and then expect the state to come to their rescue once stuff gets out of control.

people call 911 all the time for the most menial crap. if they would stop doing that, then the police could better respond to more calls that are serious.
Exactly. I wish I had a novel for the stupid 911 calls I respond too. However, the best ones, which occur everyday, every morning is as follows:

"My 7 yr old won't get up and go to school. I need you to come and take him there."

Well, what do you want me to do for you? Grab Johnny by his hair and drag him out of the bed, handcuff him, and take him to school? Well, of course not. Then, what do you want me to do? You are his parent? Blank, dumb, stupid stare at me...Well, I don't know, "You are the police." Yes, I know that, and? What do you want me too do? Same stupid, dumb, blank stare on their face.

Of course, these are the sort of parents the people of this country are proud of.

Old 12-30-2013, 03:38 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,684,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
While possible, I am going to disagree very strongly. I am a police officer and have been for 25 yrs (well, Jan 2 will be my 25th anniversary). I've investigated MANY persons, men and women, who have shot and killed intruders in their homes. All sorts of circumstances, from burglaries, rapists, to this scenario of an exboyfriend. This would include store owners protecting their property, etc.

Out of the dozens and I do mean DOZENS I've PERSONALLY investigated, only ONE went into the criminal realm. I've NEVER arrested anyone at the scene. In general, police work with true victims in these circumstances, to make sure they say and do the right things to keep themselves out of court.

Now, the one who did, stabbed her boyfriend, 17 times, left the scene, and claimed she was a victim of domestic violence. She also claimed she had called the police dept 7 times prior for help and we did nothing for her. Which was a lie, she never called the police. Oh, did I mention she had stabbed to death a prior boyfriend under the same set of circumstances, 12 years earlier? She finally admitted to killing her boyfriend for insurance and spent only 7 years in prison.

The problem is perception. People hear of the ONE case which actually goes to court. They never hear about the other 15 which do not. Therefore, people jump on the bandwagon some police officer or district attorney has an "axe to grind." Do you truly think a police officer cares Jane Smith whacked her boyfriend who is beating the hell out of her? No. In fact, were happy. I don't have to go there and take any more reports.

Sometimes I wish people would truly look at the entire issue. Not what they heard, not what they saw on CSI last night.
Exactly, Phil. My Rod and Gun Club, which conducts the required firearm safety classes for a Concealed Carry Permit, went one step further. They organized a seminar featuring the County District Attorney, the County Sheriff, a Circuit Court judge and a District Court judge, to give people the bottom line true scoop on self defense. Yes, there are times when self defense is necessary. They were very clear about the kind of behavior that would put you in jail, vs. the times when self defense is justified.

What people often don't understand is that any fatal shooting is investigated as a homicide, even if it is accidental. Police shootings are investigated as homicides too. Detectives will collect evidence at the scene and question witnesses. As long as the evidence supports self defense, there will be no prosecution.

Old 12-30-2013, 06:12 AM

914 posts, read 943,101 times
Quote:

I have only your word on this.

And you'll excuse me if I say I don't take the word of a police officer for very much.
I've seen a lot of corrupt cops do a lot of pretty awful things...and time and again, when I've NEEDED a cop, nowhere to be found. Oh, but let me go 7 mph over the speed limit and there the eff you are, right in my rearview window with your gumballs going, panting with eagerness to turn me, a common citizen, into a criminal.

Old 12-30-2013, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by molerat View Post

Easier said than done. A lot of these dirtbags pretend to be everything they're not...until they get themselves entrenched. THEN they show their true colors. And it's too late for the woman then. As far as "menial crap" some communities have dealt with the problem by setting up 3-1-1 systems...and you are supposed to direct ANY non-life-threatening emergency call to 3-1-1 not 9-1-1.

Now, in MY county, in PA...we only just GOT 9-1-1 five years ago! Before that, we have to dial the State Police direct, and we had to give them our GRID NUMBER as a location. This was great if you were at home, and you had the sticker on your phone with your grid number...but if you were anywhere else...trying to let them know where you...and the emergency WAS....let me tell you I can't count how many times I have had to give police and ambulances directions until the 911 system came online and we got real street addresses instead of Rural Route and Box Number addresses.

Old 12-30-2013, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Exactly. I wish I had a novel for the stupid 911 calls I respond too. However, the best ones, which occur everyday, every morning is as follows:

"My 7 yr old won't get up and go to school. I need you to come and take him there."

Well, what do you want me to do for you? Grab Johnny by his hair and drag him out of the bed, handcuff him, and take him to school? Well, of course not. Then, what do you want me to do? You are his parent? Blank, dumb, stupid stare at me...Well, I don't know, "You are the police." Yes, I know that, and? What do you want me too do? Same stupid, dumb, blank stare on their face.

Of course, these are the sort of parents the people of this country are proud of.
Oh give me a effing break!!! Nobody calls 911 for that!
At least nobody who is mentally balanced!

If that happened up here, you'd have DYFS descend down like vultures ready to take those children away for good.

Old 12-30-2013, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Exactly, Phil. My Rod and Gun Club, which conducts the required firearm safety classes for a Concealed Carry Permit, went one step further. They organized a seminar featuring the County District Attorney, the County Sheriff, a Circuit Court judge and a District Court judge, to give people the bottom line true scoop on self defense. Yes, there are times when self defense is necessary. They were very clear about the kind of behavior that would put you in jail, vs. the times when self defense is justified.

What people often don't understand is that any fatal shooting is investigated as a homicide, even if it is accidental. Police shootings are investigated as homicides too. Detectives will collect evidence at the scene and question witnesses. As long as the evidence supports self defense, there will be no prosecution.
All you need is one cop to screw up...or an over-zealous DA who wants another conviction and you are in a world of trouble. All you need is to be NOT WELL LIKED by local area law enforcement for whatever reason, and they will be ready to hang you just because they don't like you...and they will make the evidence say whatever they need it to say to produce the outcome they want.

I trust cops about as far as I could throw one.

Maybe if cops actually DID THEIR JOBS and prevented this shyt from happening in the first place...instead of cramming donuts in their faces and wait for the coast to be clear so that they can just come in and pick up the pieces and sponge up the blood, I might have a different view of cops.

Old 12-30-2013, 09:32 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,684,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalisiin View Post
All you need is one cop to screw up...or an over-zealous DA who wants another conviction and you are in a world of trouble. All you need is to be NOT WELL LIKED by local area law enforcement for whatever reason, and they will be ready to hang you just because they don't like you...and they will make the evidence say whatever they need it to say to produce the outcome they want.

I trust cops about as far as I could throw one.

Maybe if cops actually DID THEIR JOBS and prevented this shyt from happening in the first place...instead of cramming donuts in their faces and wait for the coast to be clear so that they can just come in and pick up the pieces and sponge up the blood, I might have a different view of cops.
It's a lifestyle choice, I guess. It's incomprehensible to me that you would rather be raped than deal with the legal system, but it's certainly one option.

Old 12-30-2013, 09:36 AM

2,754 posts, read 7,423,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
What is a ''large kit knife in apron'' and what will that accomplish? A compact .45 is a much better choice and I would empty the mag. Who wants the perp in jail?
Not me; put him in the ground
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events