Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2015, 07:47 AM

13,670 posts, read 10,053,205 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvap View Post
Cops don't engage people for no reason. If a cop can't shoot someone for running away from him, he should just stay out of troubled areas and sit in his car to take early retirement because his back hurts from sitting so much.
Bull.

Quote:
On a cold January afternoon, Jerriel Lyles parked his car in front of the P&J Carry Out on East Monument Street and darted inside to buy some food. After paying for a box of chicken, he noticed a big guy in jeans, a hooded sweatshirt and a baseball cap.

“What’s up?” the man said to Lyles. Others, also dressed in jeans and hoodies, blocked the door to the street — making Lyles fear that he would be robbed. Instead, the man identified himself a police officer, frisked Lyles and demanded he sit on the greasy floor. Lyles objected.

“The officer hit me so hard it felt like his radio was in his hand,” Lyles testified about the 2009 incident, after suing Detective David Greene. “The blow was so heavy. My eyes swelled up. Blood was dripping down my nose and out my eye.”
Undue force - Sun Investigates - The Baltimore Sun
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2015, 07:49 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,875,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
You didn't answer my question. Does someone deserve to die for running away from a policeman? Why is a policeman allowed to say "stop or I'll shoot?" Are your policemen too fat to chase folks?

English Police manage to arrest people without guns. Even ones who run away. Why is running away a death sentence?
The law states even a civilian can fire at someone fleeing if they have committed a forcible felony or are likely to cause bodily harm to others if they escape.

Well there was that case of the fellow shot in the back whilst fleeing in the subway system a few years back in London. He was unarmed. Special Branch types shot him. Thought he was a terrorist. He was only an immigrant.

Old 04-28-2015, 07:55 AM

3,762 posts, read 5,440,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
The law states even a civilian can fire at someone fleeing if they have committed a forcible felony or are likely to cause bodily harm to others if they escape.

Well there was that case of the fellow shot in the back whilst fleeing in the subway system a few years back in London. He was unarmed. Special Branch types shot him. Thought he was a terrorist. He was only an immigrant.
But that didn't happen here, did it?

Old 04-28-2015, 07:58 AM

28,163 posts, read 25,392,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
To me, Freddie Gray's attempt to avoid the police is what led to his death.
So you support a state sanctioned executioners team who decides who lives and dies without a hearing or trial?

Old 04-28-2015, 07:58 AM

67,650 posts, read 61,308,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet View Post

Quote:
I don't think that's the case. I think race relations have actually improved quite a bit. However, that isn't a commentary on "how good" things are now, but more of a commentary on how bad things used to be.
Not sure how old you are. I am 53. Of course race relations are better than they were during slavery or before the Civil Rights movement, but in my opinion they're worse than they were 8 or 10 years ago.

Quote:
You think all of this is new? You think that blacks are only recently bein abused & killed by police?
No. Why would you assume I thought that?

Old 04-28-2015, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trishguard View Post
But that didn't happen here, did it?
If referencing Baltimore no firearm was used. We actually do not know what happened otherwise. No detailed reports yet.

Old 04-28-2015, 07:59 AM

28,163 posts, read 25,392,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tal Dew View Post
Actually you are and last night proved it. You don't have to admit you are wrong. There was nothing heavy handed not military looking about Baltimore police at all. They had a hat and a stick.
I said the police in this era are militarized.

They are.
That is a fact.

Whether what you saw on TV or not leads you to believe otherwise is none of my concern.

Old 04-28-2015, 08:01 AM

13,670 posts, read 10,053,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
To me, Freddie Gray's attempt to avoid the police is what led to his death.
Given the history of police brutality in Baltimore, why wouldn't he avoid the police? Avoiding the police seems to be the prudent move to me. After all, engaging with them worked out great for him, did it not?

Old 04-28-2015, 08:05 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,459,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tal Dew View Post
English police manage to get beat up and stabbed a lot too. They also have countless riots there as well. They aren't any better by a long shot. I witness way too stuff when I lived there.
Countless riots huh? Must be a different England you lived in, to mine.

As for police stabbings. Hard to find information. I guess it would be there if this was a problem.

https://www.btp.police.uk/pdf/FOI%20...0on%20duty.pdf

Old 04-28-2015, 08:06 AM

There was a similar situation in Miami a few years ago. The police officer in question was in his private vehicle and made eye contact with the subject who then took off at a high rate of speed. Police chase ensued which ended in both vehicles being wrecked and both drivers being injured. Officer was in the narcotics detail and suspect had lengthy criminal history involving narcotics. They did not know each other. The expression used was "They Made Each Other"

Fellow in Baltimore took off running after eye contact with the police officers. To anyone of some intelligence that would mean he was up to no good. Being Baltimore and that part of town it would mean probably drugs with possibility of a concealed firearm.

Last edited by Felix C; 04-28-2015 at 08:16 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events