Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2015, 05:15 AM

3,024 posts, read 2,284,961 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
Well, the chronic looting and continued gang violence certainly are not....
With every big news networks covering it for a couple of days now I would say they are making people pay attention and talking about it you really think a peacefull protest is gonna do that? We see peacefull protests on the news from time to time yet none of them get the coverage like this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2015, 05:25 AM

13,670 posts, read 10,051,843 times
It's entirely possible to prevent this at the source. There a good people in all these neighborhoods. It's not perfect, but here it's much better. This is what happened when Camden NJ got rid of its entire Police force and formed a new one based on neighborhood beat walking and resident interaction. Murders, violence, dealing and gang activity has dropped significantly in the past two years.

Quote:
“We’re not going to do this by militarizing streets,” Chief Thomson said. Instead, he sent officers to knock on doors and ask residents their concerns. He lets community leaders monitor surveillance cameras from their home computers to help watch for developing crime.

The police have held meet-the-officer fairs at parks and churches, attended baseball games and sent Mister Softee trucks into neighborhoods. Officers stand at school crossings and on corners where drugs and violence flourished. Chief Thomson’s theory is that in a city of 77,000, there are thousands more well-intentioned people than bad, and that the police must enlist them to take back the streets.

“For a city to be prosperous, it needs to be safe and busy,” he said. “The police are a variable in that equation, but we are just one variable.” He tells his officers that he measures their success not in tickets written, but in the number of children riding bicycles on the street.
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/01/ny...orce.html?_r=0

Old 04-28-2015, 05:35 AM

6,807 posts, read 4,508,024 times
If these rioters were so angry about that man's death, why are they all smiling? That mob isn't mad. They're having the time of their lives. What could be better than a good time and free stuff? How does burning down a senior community center for low-income seniors bring them justice? Destroying fire hoses meant to extinguish raging fires?

This is why whites don't want blacks moving into their neighborhoods. They aren't racist. They fear what will happen when black people get pissed.

Old 04-28-2015, 05:37 AM

543 posts, read 706,449 times
This all is just a product of a 45 year social spending experiment that will no doubt continue.

Old 04-28-2015, 05:46 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,932,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabber_wocky View Post
This was a complete disappointment and a disgrace. I felt they could have done far better than this. Peaceful protest with the people united would have been far more effective in my opinion. Instead of using social media to incite violence and get out in the streets looting, they could have done this far differently.
I agree. The problem with peaceful protests nowadays, especially in these communities, is that you get a few people who take advantage of it and galvanize the trouble makers to start rioting and destroying property. The sad thing is that probably >95% of the rioters have no idea of the issue that the are "protesting" (rioting). They're just taking advantage of an opportunity to cause trouble, and ultimately destroying their communities.

Old 04-28-2015, 05:46 AM

36,497 posts, read 16,090,364 times
Al Sharpton is on his way to Baltimore

Old 04-28-2015, 05:50 AM

1,587 posts, read 1,019,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tasmtairy View Post
Al Sharpton is on his way to Baltimore
Yea when he went to Ferguson and started that hands up crap, it got 10x worse so I expect things to get even more heated up in Baltimore.

Old 04-28-2015, 06:15 AM

1,515 posts, read 2,281,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
If these rioters were so angry about that man's death, why are they all smiling? That mob isn't mad. They're having the time of their lives. What could be better than a good time and free stuff? How does burning down a senior community center for low-income seniors bring them justice? Destroying fire hoses meant to extinguish raging fires? .
That was my first thought as well. I saw some pictures of smiling thugs as they are breaking out windows of a car. Good times and free stuff for all! I feel so sorry for the law abiding folks living in these wretched neighborhoods.

Old 04-28-2015, 06:30 AM

17,410 posts, read 12,021,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
If it wasn't for the stupid war on drugs, he wouldn't even have a record.
Hardly. Do you really think if drugs were legal he would have opened up a nice business, and lived his life as a law abiding citizen? He was a criminal, as his rap sheet showed, and got into selling drugs because a life of crime is where criminals end up. If drugs were legal, he would have found some other criminal activity to get involved in.

Old 04-28-2015, 06:33 AM

41,000 posts, read 49,395,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
Secondly, poor uneducated people need work. Blacks are being pushed out of minimum wage work by immigrants from places like Mexico. Both legal and illegal. There is not enough such work to go round. Yes, I know, the cry is 'stay in school..... get an education.' Well, in a lot of cases, this isn't going to happen is it? What is the cost of jailing millions of people? It'd be cheaper to build factories and have people packing things in boxes, then unpacking them, and starting again......... I know, it's stupid, but so is jailing so many people over drug supply, and use. It would be far cheaper to give the drugs away free. This war is lost. Time we started looking at legalizing, and taxing
You are spot on about the lose of jobs to Illegals. Our current President has not only looked the other way but actually promoted them coming to the US.

As a Black man you'd think he'd try to limit this immigration so that Black Americans would at least have the opportunity. Generous benefits don't help when one can stay home and make more money not working than they can actually holding a job.

There are tons of jobs out there. The construction industry is booming. It's been years since I've seen a Black Man working in the Home construction business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events