Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2015, 01:17 PM

28,690 posts, read 18,829,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
I remember that book. I took it out from the library when I was a teenager. Both the one by the guy (it was later made into a movie) and her's. The woman said that she had to constantly fight off getting raped whenever she passed as black, native american or hispanic maid. She said it appeared the men believed they had a "right" to have sex with her whether she wanted to or not and the wives were very well aware of this. The wives would conveniently be "out" while the husbands were alone with her.
Another book of the times was Lois Mark Stalvey's "Education of a WASP." That was a case of a white woman taking up a black cause in the 60s to eye-openingly disastrous end. She and her architect husband lived on the west side of Omaha which was then closed by real estate practice to blacks.

She had met a black couple (two teachers) who lived on the lower-income north side of Omaha searching for a better neighborhood. She naively attempted to help them find a house in her neighborhood...and got a very rude "education" that resulted in her husband being fired and them being run out of town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2015, 01:22 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,955,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Mixed ancestry has started to matter only very recently. Earlier than the 90s, "biracial" or "mixed" meant nothing in American society except that you weren't white.

It doesn't mean much today, either, when you're pulled over by the police. It really only matter for getting on television.
I wasn't saying that at all. Of course it matters. I was only saying it should not. For example, even though President Obama had a Caucasian mother from Kansas, he looks like a Black man and his life experience has been as such. In fact, his presidency should prove to everyone how racist our country really is. There are still people who believe he is foreign born and a Muslim.

The difference with Ms Dolezal is that, according to her parents, she has no African ancestry and is Caucasian, not that she is a mixed race. If I were Black, maybe I would feel as if she's made a mockery of my race because she obtained her position with deception and lies.

So my previous comment wasn't saying it doesn't matter, I was saying it shouldn't matter. There's a difference. People judge you by your appearance. Why else would anyone care that a teenage homicide victim was wearing a hoodie?

Old 06-17-2015, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
If the police officer who hauls you out of your car thinks you're black, then you're black.
Right! I guess either I misunderstood your other comment or you misunderstood me. I suppose that's one disadvantage of not having a verbal dialogue. When I posted, I thought you were saying "it doesn't matter" meaning that society treats both races equally. I was saying if you see a person who has the features of a Black man or woman (skin, hair) you are automatically going to assume he/she is Black. Until last night, I didn't know Melissa Harris-Perry was biracial and I never cared. I just figured she was a Black woman.

Old 06-17-2015, 02:31 PM

52,430 posts, read 26,682,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
I wasn't saying that at all. Of course it matters. I was only saying it should not. For example, even though President Obama had a Caucasian mother from Kansas, he looks like a Black man and his life experience has been as such.
Hmm, not really....

1. He basically spent his entire childhood with either his White mother or White grandparents.
  2. Most of his childhood was spent growing up in a well off White subdivision in Hawaii
  3. He also spent some time as a child in Indonesia
I would not call this typical at all.

Old 06-17-2015, 02:32 PM

22,361 posts, read 29,481,224 times
The funny thing is most blacks want to be white. Not vice versa

Old 06-17-2015, 02:34 PM

6,732 posts, read 5,181,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
Thanks for the laugh.

Old 06-17-2015, 02:35 PM

1,793 posts, read 1,443,737 times
Quote:
Jesus, how wrong can a person be? Good grief.

Old 06-17-2015, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Hmm, not really....

[LIST=1][*]He basically spent his entire childhood with either his White mother or White grandparents.[*]Most of his childhood was spent growing up in a well off White subdivision in Hawaii[*]He also spent some time as a child in Indonesia[/LIST] I would not call this typical at all.
I should stop belaboring this, since we've all gone way off-topic. However, you missed my point entirely. Obama isn't typical of ANY person, Black, White, Asian or Hispanic. After all, there have been only 44 men since 1732 who have service the United States as President. He also is a Harvard Law Graduate and was president of the Harvard Law Review.

So, yes, Obama is not typical. However, he was always a Black man in the eyes of society and, if you read one of his books, you'd realize he struggled with his identity. In any case, if he sneaked away from his Secret Service agents, put on everyday street clothes and was walking down a city street, he would look like any other African-American man.

Anyway, I don't see your point. Are you saying people don't use racially offensive language when talking about Obama?

Old 06-17-2015, 03:16 PM

2,248 posts, read 2,352,346 times
Quote:

Old 06-17-2015, 03:20 PM

20,129 posts, read 16,186,419 times
Quote:
No thanks. I'm not sure where you pulled that load of crap from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events