Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2015, 07:49 AM

3,105 posts, read 3,834,310 times

Advertisements

I feel no obligation to help terrorists or anyone who could potentially be a terrorist.

My moral obligation is to protect America and it's legal citizens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2015, 07:49 AM

13,422 posts, read 9,952,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I don't know, but I agree they should.

Old 11-17-2015, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post
There's no Syrian Observatory for Human Rights. It's a front group in the UK funded by the EU to disseminate news and opinion through the media. It's a one-man operation and the identity of the person is in question. Some have claimed he runs a grocery in London.

Reminder: The "Syrian Observatory for Human Rights" is Just One Guy In a London Apartment
Okay. So the Syrians are just hunky dory then? They aren't being bombed?

Old 11-17-2015, 07:55 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
I don't know, but I agree they should.
We agree on something!

Old 11-17-2015, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
Is it OURS to fight for why they sit on their asses collecting welfare?

Cause I am not sure I want to be paying welfare to people who only want to be blowing up theaters full of people and attacking young couples on dates at cafe's.

The sure know who and how to fight when they get here...
Please point out where I said that was our job. Or that they should sit on their asses collecting welfare.

I don't think it's prudent to send a bunch of "able bodied young men" back into the region where their only choice will be to join a rebel coalition. Like ISIS. Hey, maybe they can start a new one! I mean after all, those groups stay in their own region, and are not like, angry at the world or anything, especially for throwing them back into that cesspool of violence when they tried to get out. That wouldn't cause any resentment.

I think if people are trying to escape and not join in we should do what we can. If that means putting whatever pressure we can on the wealthy ME nations then I think that's a good place to start.

Old 11-17-2015, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
I could be wrong and this might sound radical.

But I believe that if I see a person in need of something in order to survive, I have a human obligation to do what I can to help them survive.

For some of these refugees it is a matter of survival to find refuge. Not finding refuge in the USA or elsewhere is essentially death for them.

For most of us Americans our ancestors came here because they were driven out of their homelands. We also had traitors and potential terrorists among our refugee ancestors. but fortunatly for us, compassion overcame fear.
I don't think that's radical at all. I think it's a bit more complex than that in modern times, unfortunately. On a human level I absolutely agree with you. And I hope that modern America can find a way to help. I do indeed think it's the American way, and always has been. I don't think abandoning the most basic principals of this country is the way forward. Trite, I know, but that just means the terrorists win and the Western World loses something of great value. There has to be a way to help which still keeps the security of the West at a priority.

Old 11-17-2015, 08:07 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Please point out where I said that was our job. Or that they should sit on their asses collecting welfare.

I don't think it's prudent to send a bunch of "able bodied young men" back into the region where their only choice will be to join a rebel coalition. Like ISIS. Hey, maybe they can start a new one! I mean after all, those groups stay in their own region, and are not like, angry at the world or anything, especially for throwing them back into that cesspool of violence when they tried to get out. That wouldn't cause any resentment.
Just to clarify:

I didn't suggest tossing them back into the quagmire with no resources, training, support, etc.

But I have a sneaky suspicion that many of these young men fleeing Syria already harbor significant resentment toward the West in general, and the US specifically. So they need to be vetted before being allowed to settle in here. I want to know more about the vetting process and specifically how we are able to vet them thoroughly and screen out potential terrorists. I haven't seen a good answer to that question. Until I do, I'm not going to be too happy about letting open the floodgates.

Interesting articles on the process - the plan, the challenges, and the reality:

How do Syrian refugees get into the U.S.? - CNNPolitics.com

Quote:
“I think (Rhodes) basically lied to the American people,†Hoekstra told WND and Radio America. “He said we’ve got a good vetting process in place where we can vet those that are coming from Syria into the United States.â€

He continued, “No we do not. The records don’t exist in Syria, especially after you’ve had five years of civil war. We don’t have a relationship with the regime. It’s an ungoverned area. We don’t know who these people are. Ben, shame on you for even implying that we’ve got a good vetting system. We’re lucky if can get the names right.â€

Read more at Obama admin ‘lied’ about vetting Syrian refugees
Quote:
The Long Island Republican said "there are no databases" to check the information being provided by the refugees against, so if someone who is seeking entry into the U.S. says he has no terrorist involvement, American officials can't determine if that's true or not.

"We have no way of knowing," King said. "Unless we know who they are, we cannot allow them in. My job is to protect Americans, not to feel good about myself."
Pete King: No vetting, no Syrian refugees | Politics - WPTZ Home

Old 11-17-2015, 08:09 AM

15,501 posts, read 17,078,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post

For that you have to ask the individual nations.

just guessing: most of the Gulf states have a lot of money, but no life sustaining resources. everything including food and water has to be imported. It is far easier for the Golf nations to give monetary aid. I do not know if any do.

Old 11-17-2015, 08:09 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,488,801 times
Quote:
I could be wrong and this might sound radical.
I agree with you.
Quote:
But I believe that if I see a person in need of something in order to survive, I have a human obligation to do what I can to help them survive.
I agree with you to a point but I also do not believe I have the right to obligate others money to fund my beliefs. American Tax money should be used to upgrading our schools, our infrastructure and to assist Americans in need.

I look at America, and several other countries, as life boats. The life boat is floating, it is working as intended. There are a set number or people on the life boat that will survive. Is there an obligation to keep taking people on until the life boat founders and everyone dies or is brought to the same level of misery?

These problems did not just happen. These people have contributed to their own problems for many years and even generations. I see no reason to believe that they have the will or desire to offer any other country anything productive.

They do not seem that thankful to me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-w2rZV9cF8

Of course your religion may teach you of what is entitled to you and not to be thankful.
Quote:
For some of these refugees it is a matter of survival to find refuge. Not finding refuge in the USA or elsewhere is essentially death for them.
And their lives are so much more important than those murdered in Paris why?
Quote:
For most of us Americans our ancestors came here because they were driven out of their homelands. We also had traitors and potential terrorists among our refugee ancestors. but fortunatly for us, compassion overcame fear.
This is such nonsense. My ancestors did not get handed anything and worked for what they had. Show me something similar to the Paris attacks committed by my ancestors.

Old 11-17-2015, 08:15 AM

12,022 posts, read 11,572,686 times
Quote:
Okay. So the Syrians are just hunky dory then? They aren't being bombed?
You used an SOHR-sourced article to claim the Syrians were fleeing the government since the emphasis is on the government killing civilians. There are other news articles that indicate that the cause of the deaths is split roughly 50-50 between the Syrian government and the US-backed rebel forces. On the other hand, without the US coalition sponsorship of a de facto invasion of another sovereign, there would be no war and no war casualties.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events