Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2016, 08:07 AM

9,317 posts, read 21,000,428 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
It's the Feds' money to distribute, so they set the rules.
Well its Our Money....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2016, 08:37 AM

8,381 posts, read 4,365,088 times
No problem ... go buy your alcohol .. go home .. drink it .. stay there till you are sober.

Old 01-17-2016, 08:48 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,348,018 times
If the goal is to reduce accidents, injuries, and fatalities on the roadways, then devices/conditions implicated in distracted driver incidents such as cell phones (even hands free), eating, DVD players, and passengers should be prohibited first.

Eliminated those will save way more lives than changing the BAC limit from .08 to .05. The difference between those two limits is so insignificant, they really may as well lower it to -any detectable BAC- which is the law in some countries already.

Old 01-17-2016, 08:53 AM

8,877 posts, read 13,912,608 times
Sounds like the "people who know what's good for everyone else" is trying to legislate prohibition back in!

Old 01-17-2016, 08:54 AM

1,629 posts, read 2,628,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
If the goal is to reduce accidents, injuries, and fatalities on the roadways, then devices/conditions implicated in distracted driver incidents such as cell phones (even hands free), eating, DVD players, and passengers should be prohibited first.

Eliminated those will save way more lives than changing the BAC limit from .08 to .05. The difference between those two limits is so insignificant, they really may as well lower it to -any detectable BAC- which is the law in some countries already.
What research do you have to back up your claim that dropping the limit from .08 to .05 is insignificant? Is the difference between .11 and .08 significant? What about .14 and .11? You have to draw the limit somewhere. Your argument that cell phones, eating, and passengers should be banned before the BAC limit is dropped is also asinine. There are numerous behaviors people engage in behind the wheel that are dangerous and should be all attacked simultaneously.

Old 01-17-2016, 08:55 AM

2,953 posts, read 2,900,011 times
I see people driving around every day with an impairment of at least 0.1. They're called old people.

All this "impaired driving" BS is just do-gooder feel good jargon. Your sick, you're impaired, sleepy, impaired, work problems, family problems, dry eyes and allergies, physical pains and ailments, mobility issues, phone alerts, etc. There are more crashes from turning a radio knob than drunk drivers...FACT.

Obviously people aren't responsible enough to change the station and drive at the same time. Outlawing radios in cars is as lame as this law.

Old 01-17-2016, 09:04 AM

1,300 posts, read 1,042,458 times
The main problem with drinking and driving and why its still happening and will continue to happen indefinitely is because the punishment is a COMPLETE JOKE and isn't a deterrent in the least for alot of people. You get caught driving over the legal limit you pay a fine and maybe lose your license for a little bit. So what? You injure or even kill someone while driving drunk and worst case scenario you might get a few years in jail at most. Yeah it sucks, but its not that harsh a punishment for you taking a life.

As I've said before, the ONLY WAY that the problem of drunk driving will become a thing of the past or at least severely reduced is when THE PUNISHMENT IS HARSH AND NON-NEGOTIABLE. Namely there needs to be mandatory jail sentences that comes with you killing someone under the influence that can't be negotiated or plea bargined down. If you drive drunk and kill one or more people, then its at least 10 years in jail for each death the offender causes NO QUESTIONS ASKED where a high priced lawyer can't argue the sentence down for you. You killed someone, 10 years for you. DONE. You're crying about spending a decade in jail? Too EFFING BAD. You should've thought about that before you got behind the wheel drunk and killed someone.

Even lesser offenses need to be brutally punished to get people to change their habits. For example the first time you get caught driving drunk, its a $1000 fine and you can't drive for a month. If you're caught a second time within 3 years, then its a $10,000 fine and 6 months loss of license and if you're caught again within 3 years, then mandatory 1 month in jail. And then from there the punishment is ever increasing jail time because if 1 month in jail isn't enough to change your drunk driving habits, then you need to be taken off the roads and out of society, because clearly you're not fit to live in normal society when you can't even follow a simple rule of not drinking and driving that not only places your life in danger, but everyone else's as well.

I GUARANTEE YOU that if such harsh punishment was put in place and was enforced with ABSOLUTELY NO WAY to plea bargin down these punishments, that drinking and driving would DRAMATICALLY DECREASE in a few short years. I'm quite sure that there are many people out there where if they're caught once or twice and slapped with these heavy punishments, it would be enough to change their habits. For those who are chronic offenders where they will drive drunk no matter what, its time to throw them in jail longterm and keep them there until they decide they REALLY want to change or they can rot in jail forever.

I feel this is pretty much the ONLY WAY that people will stop drinking and driving for the longterm. By harsh punishment that no one can squirm out of. Once people start seeing others getting charged and thrown in jail without remorse, they will understand that the government isn't effing around and they will fall in line. Anything less than this will never be enough to alter people's habits.

Old 01-17-2016, 10:56 AM

3,811 posts, read 4,691,500 times
When was the last time somebody was killed by a drunk driver who blew around .08? Every time I hear about drunk drivers killing it's always way over 1. .08 is like having 1 beer for most people unless you relax for an hour while drinking it.

I get that you have to establish a # somewhere. Just seems like this is a way to get more people into trouble therefore make them become criminals. Probably a way to make them ineligible to buy guns too.

Old 01-17-2016, 11:06 AM

5,859 posts, read 3,297,105 times
I have been lucky enough to test myself with a breathalyzer. Personally even at a .04 I have felt it somewhat. I also have tested myself at over a .1 and 100% there was no way I should ever be behind the wheel of a car. Also after testing myself I was able to test myself hours later to see when I was legal to drive again. It took hours to drop down. I drink once a week. I either am out with the understanding that my wife is the designated driver or I am at home with neighbors. I will not even have one drink and get behind the wheel. Its not worth getting arrested. More importantly its not worth hurting an innocent family because I decided to be stupid!!!! Lastly most of the cops I know don't arrest someone unless they are over a .1. Its not worth the time or effort to take them down to be tested to have to cut them loose because their BAC has dropped below the limit!

Old 01-17-2016, 11:08 AM

639 posts, read 579,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2colo View Post
What research do you have to back up your claim that dropping the limit from .08 to .05 is insignificant? Is the difference between .11 and .08 significant? What about .14 and .11? You have to draw the limit somewhere. Your argument that cell phones, eating, and passengers should be banned before the BAC limit is dropped is also asinine. There are numerous behaviors people engage in behind the wheel that are dangerous and should be all attacked simultaneously.
That's his point. They should do it all, but they'll only go after dui.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events