Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2021, 12:23 PM

17,344 posts, read 11,285,635 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
Ah geez. Of course all the official muckety mucks are right there on the cable news programs bragging

about how the levees have all been updated and fortified, and saying there won't be the issues with flooding they had after Katrina.

It doesn't make for any vote of confidence in them to see, or hear that many of the pumps aren't working
at this time, are they doing anything to get them back online?. Or were, this storm's upon them right now.

I feel for the people in the path of Ida- though the news media has decided Ida will be New Orlean's storm, there will be other areas in LA, Alabama, Mississippi that will be just as badly affected. I'm all to familiar first hand with the devastating effects of major hurricanes, we lived in Miami for 36 years and went through hurricane Andrew in 1992. That was the worst, though we have gone through several hurricanes since then.
It's my understanding from what I've read that the pumps were nearly all working, all but 3 out of nearly 100. Things are bad enough without spreading negative rumors which we don't know to be true.

Last edited by marino760; 08-29-2021 at 12:41 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2021, 12:56 PM

17,314 posts, read 22,056,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgdriver74 View Post
Governor and mayor of NO say there wasn't enough time to order mandatory evacuations. This thing has been aimed at LA for a week. How much time do they need? Perhaps a quicker plan is needed.
I saw that news conference............that is a scary statement for them to make!

Old 08-29-2021, 01:45 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 9 days ago)

35,634 posts, read 17,975,706 times
I was watching the webcam from the French Quarter a minute ago and it looks like it's raining and a slight breeze. The plants in the planter box aren't even moving.

https://www.nola.com/news/hurricane/...56bab7680.html

Old 08-29-2021, 01:52 PM

2,037 posts, read 1,605,720 times
Don’t have link, however saw some major flooding on a cam outside of the NO levee system. They said it was on the east side of NO.

Old 08-29-2021, 01:53 PM

5,907 posts, read 4,432,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
Katrina was bad enough, but the real devastation came about when the levees were breached and the flood waters came. Apparently Katrina's winds were not as destructive as had been expected, I recall listening to the news and hearing talk about how New Orleans had "dodged a bullet", windwise. This was just before the levees started breaking, of course that was when the disaster started in earnest and all hell broke loose.

They're saying the levees have been repaired and updated/fortified, and they are expecting them to stand, to avoid the flooding that occurred after Katrina. Let's hope they are right.
If the guy from the weather channel is right, he said Katrina was so bad because it hit straight up and down and came in flush. By that happening it put all of the “rainwater” strain up river and the surge pullback on lake P, which of course broke the levees.

At least as of last night, this one is coming in on an angle and to the west.

Old 08-29-2021, 02:11 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,476,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgdriver74 View Post
Governor and mayor of NO say there wasn't enough time to order mandatory evacuations. This thing has been aimed at LA for a week. How much time do they need? Perhaps a quicker plan is needed.
Everybody knew this hurricane was coming. If residents aren't smart enough to move out of its path well in advance, then a mandate from the government wouldn't help. Instead, residents would dig in their heels and scream about fascism and civil rights violations.

Good grief! No mayor or governor would need to tell me to run from a hurricane bringing 150 MPH winds. People are stupid.

Old 08-29-2021, 02:56 PM

5,424 posts, read 3,494,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
Everybody knew this hurricane was coming. If residents aren't smart enough to move out of its path well in advance, then a mandate from the government wouldn't help. Instead, residents would dig in their heels and scream about fascism and civil rights violations.

Good grief! No mayor or governor would need to tell me to run from a hurricane bringing 150 MPH winds. People are stupid.
Do you live in a hurricane prone area?

I live in South Florida and we get inundated with weather reports many days before a hurricane is supposed to hit and often times the course and severity of the storm changes. By the time the weather forecasters know the storm will indeed hit a certain area, it's too late to go and where exactly do people go? What about those with no transportation or money for hotels, it's just not that easy to evacuate. It might be easier in Louisiana, just head north, but I put a lot of the blame on the weather forecasters for hyping up ALL storms to get ratings.

Old 08-29-2021, 03:07 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,476,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanyBelle View Post
Do you live in a hurricane prone area?

I live in South Florida and we get inundated with weather reports many days before a hurricane is supposed to hit and often times the course and severity of the storm changes. By the time the weather forecasters know the storm will indeed hit a certain area, it's too late to go and where exactly do people go? What about those with no transportation or money for hotels, it's just not that easy to evacuate. It might be easier in Louisiana, just head north, but I put a lot of the blame on the weather forecasters for hyping up ALL storms to get ratings.
I'm not stupid enough to live in a hurricane prone area. Those who do have a ton of "poor me" excuses when disaster strikes.

If you have no escape plan... and you don't trust the weather reports and warnings...and you have no other place to go... and you have no transportation or money to get out of a hurricane's path, then why the heck would you live in hurricane alley?

Old 08-29-2021, 03:12 PM

5,424 posts, read 3,494,854 times
Quote:
I'm not stupid enough to live in a hurricane prone area. Those who do have a ton of "poor me" excuses when disaster strikes.

If you have no escape plan... and you don't trust the weather reports and warnings...and you have no other place to go... and you have no transportation or money to get out of a hurricane's path, then why the heck would you live in hurricane alley?
nm

Last edited by SanyBelle; 08-29-2021 at 03:34 PM..

Old 08-29-2021, 03:17 PM

17,206 posts, read 15,404,507 times
Quote:

Where do you live? There are natural disasters everywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events