Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2022, 07:04 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,171,554 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
My 18 year old (severe autism with explosive rage disorder, 6'5 & 280 lbs), has just been selected as a case study subject, for a University of Colorado study regarding the management of SPED students with severe behavioral needs that involve physically violent episodes. The study begins later this month & if it is published, I'd be happy to share the link. I'm VERY happy to participate in research that will help provide safe & appropriate education for SPED students & the (mostly) amazing people who work with them.
My 6'4. 260LB older ex-athlete brother (Evergreen Co) has a special needs son with Asperger's who is nowhere near your sons level as far as meltdown. But as my brother got into his 50-60's and his son grew to 6'5, 330 lbs he could no longer control the boy. The son seriously hurt my brother several times.

He's now in a home in Phoenix and they are all much happier. No one here can even begin to imagine your daily struggles.

It would be interesting to know this boys history and family situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2022, 07:58 AM

10,228 posts, read 6,314,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
My 6'4. 260LB older ex-athlete brother (Evergreen Co) has a special needs son with Asperger's who is nowhere near your sons level as far as meltdown. But as my brother got into his 50-60's and his son grew to 6'5, 330 lbs he could no longer control the boy. The son seriously hurt my brother several times.

He's now in a home in Phoenix and they are all much happier. No one here can even begin to imagine your daily struggles.

It would be interesting to know this boys history and family situation.
The situation you described is when an adult person would be put in a Group Home and go to Day Hab. There would be staff trained to manage them. Specially for adult male "Consumers"(not THUGS), staff would also be young, big, strong men.

Cannot expect parents in their 50's and 60's to be able to handle their special needs adult children, whether severely mentally, or even physically disabled.

Before I worked as Special Ed TA, I was a "Mental Heath Technician" working with MR/DD adults in Day Hab and Group Homes. An out of control 5 year old? I once had a 35 year old, 6 ft., 200 lb. man pick up a 32 inch flat screen TV and attempt to throw it at me. Can a 5 year old do that????? I seriously question this teacher's expertise. At the very least, it sounds like this student needed a 1:1 Para, but that requires $$$ which the school may not have wanted to provide. Yes, I have worked as a 1:1 for an Autistic 5 year old who had a history of biting, kicking, and hitting. My 6 year old Grandson is on the spectrum, very strong, and can get violent. When his school was closed during the pandemic, he regressed. Online school did not work.

BTW, first part of SCIP training (in FLORIDA), we were told to use our BRAINS and MOUTHS above all else.

Old 03-11-2022, 09:19 AM

2,161 posts, read 1,151,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I don't think anyone said he had mental health issues. He is classified as having a disability, and depending what kind of disability, violent outbursts are not out of the norm. You say "give me a grown adult or a teen thug and all bets are off". I'm not sure if you're talking about adults with developmental disabilities or not, but violent behavior is part and parcel (and the reason I never wanted to work with adults with DD) but I find it offensive to call them "thugs". They are basically adults with the mental capacity of toddlers. It's a dangerous setting to work in. But they aren't "bad" in the sense you are using it.
He is in a special needs classroom. IDK if it's mental or emotional but it doesn't seem to be a physical disability. I don't work with special needs so if I was being attacked by a grown adult or thug I wouldn't know if they had some mental or social issues and I certainly wouldn't try to diagnose them before defending myself in any way I chose to.

Old 03-11-2022, 09:23 AM

18,547 posts, read 15,579,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blues4evr View Post
Schools in my area are not allowed to restrain a child.
There is no exception for self-defense?

Old 03-11-2022, 10:37 AM

10,228 posts, read 6,314,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
Not just for your own adult self defense, but in a school setting need to protect other students from being attacked. I was hired as a 1:1 to protect the other kids from Timmy biting, kicking and hitting them . Far more important than the adults. Children are the priority not the adult staff. If am adult staff snd cannot do or like that , find another job.

Old 03-11-2022, 10:38 AM

50,730 posts, read 36,447,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciceropolo View Post
Curious if anyone knows what happens to a child who behaves like this in China under the "social credit" system?
I would assume special ed children are not given many services there, but I really don't know how they are educated. Why do you ask?

Old 03-11-2022, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vabeachgirlNYC View Post
He is in a special needs classroom. IDK if it's mental or emotional but it doesn't seem to be a physical disability. I don't work with special needs so if I was being attacked by a grown adult or thug I wouldn't know if they had some mental or social issues and I certainly wouldn't try to diagnose them before defending myself in any way I chose to.
It was a school setting. He doesn't need a physical disability to be considered to have a disability.

I assumed you'd know the disability if you were working in that setting. That's the context I used to ask you about adults with DD. This child was in a special needs classroom. I really am not sure what your intention is throwing the word "thug" around in the context of adults or children with special needs.

Old 03-11-2022, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
Special ed classroom teachers are absolutely allowed to restrain children who are out of control.

Old 03-11-2022, 01:03 PM

2,161 posts, read 1,151,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
It was a school setting. He doesn't need a physical disability to be considered to have a disability.

I assumed you'd know the disability if you were working in that setting. That's the context I used to ask you about adults with DD. This child was in a special needs classroom. I really am not sure what your intention is throwing the word "thug" around in the context of adults or children with special needs.
I didn't say he needed a physical disability.

I didn't call a special needs person a thug. If I was being attacked by an adult how would I know if they were special needs? I'm going to do whatever it takes to defend myself, whether from a random thug or a mental case.

Old 03-11-2022, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vabeachgirlNYC View Post
I didn't say he needed a physical disability.

I didn't call a special needs person a thug. If I was being attacked by an adult how would I know if they were special needs? I'm going to do whatever it takes to defend myself, whether from a random thug or a mental case.
You made it sound like if you were working in a special needs setting and were attacked, you would attack back. You said if you were in the classroom the kid would have gone flying, and if it was an adult all bets would be off. I believe it was you, but in any case that was what I was responding to. If you were just talking about random attack on the street that is not relevant to the thread, which is about special needs educational setting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events